Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage 2wd 175K miles
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find front disc rotor specs?

Went to Jack Furrier in Sieera Vista for an oil change & a free tire rotation. They told me I needed a $348 brake job. I was shown on the Kia Sportage 2000 the brake which they told me had 15% brake left. I mentioned that I can see that the cutout was still there and it didn't need to be done ASAP. I asked why so high a price and was told the rotors had to be replaced.

I questioned him, saying 'Aren't the rotors get cut?" and he said No, had to be replaced because then they would be too thin.

I'm never going to this guy for a brake job, but I would like to know where I can find specs for thickness and all so I can mic it out myself. can I measure while still attached to car?

If need be, I can take a picture of it and post it. I'm having fun with my $15 endoscope camera. I've already took a picture of my timing belt to prove I didn't need a timing brake job. It seems everywhere I go in Sierra Vista, I keep getting offered a 'shaft job' without the grease.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,574 Posts
Your front rotor min thickness is 22.40 MM. To clean up/cut a rotor you have to cut off at least 10 thousands, maybe more if it real rusty.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage 2wd 175K miles
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the information!
22.4mm=0.8818898"

I measured the rotor and it is at 59/64=.921875" = 23.415625mm

Well my rotors don't have a bit of rust on them at all nor are they warped. The only thing that is warped in this town are all the darn scam artists ripping of people with B.S. repairs.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Thank you so much for the information!
22.4mm=0.8818898"

I measured the rotor and it is at 59/64=.921875" = 23.415625mm

Well my rotors don't have a bit of rust on them at all nor are they warped. The only thing that is warped in this town are all the darn scam artists ripping of people with B.S. repairs.

I'm curious to know how you determined whether or not your rotors are warped. I've seen plenty of rotors that looked "flat" and had to be turned .05 inches before the lathe bits even started to cut the whole surface, and that's just the rough cut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts