Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know how to word this, but the dealer service guy I was talking to didn't know. On the front bumper of the Rio under the passenger headlight is a like a little square access door that snaps on and off. What is this for? I don't see anything directly behind it, and it's a pain to wax around when I wax the car. I didn't really think about it too much until I was waiting for a oil change at the service center. Was checking a car that was hit in the right side and that piece was missing off the front bumper.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Tow eye hook screws into the car's support for pulling on the car. Hopefully keeps the tow truck driver from pulling the bumper off. Hopefully. I think you have one in your trunk kit?

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
This would be interesting to look up in the manual (I'm too lazy at the moment). But I have my doubts that a tow truck would ever use that thing. When I worked at Honda, the Honda product advisers told me that it's specifically used for tying down the vehicle when it's being transported on a ship.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Mercedes Benz has these for years front & rear with a screw in hook in the toolkit.Don't think we have one.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
Mercedes Benz has these for years front & rear with a screw in hook in the toolkit.Don't think we have one.
Well I for one have an eye hook with my tire inflation kit.

As for designing it as a tie down during transport, there a way too many tie down points under the vehicle to have to design in a special tie down point.

That being said, it wouldn't be used for "towing" your car but it would be quite handy if you need to be pulled out of a ditch or snow bank.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
I have the threaded hook with mine. had no idea what it was until now
its explained on page 6/28 in your owners manual :)

I have one that came with my Soul too.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
So to further what conwelpic mentioned (I had to actually dig out my manual)... yes, it is meant for towing. Your car may have a threaded hook, if equipped (if equipped? why wouldn't all models get them? weird Kia... weird.)

Anyway, there are a lot of stipulations with it's usage (page 6|30) - so beware. Using it for pulling out of a ditch is a no-no apparently. And after reading all the things you can't use it for - it seems... pretty useless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts