Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the SX has 17,000 miles on the odometer and has developed a noise when slowed down to almost a complete stop.Really noticable when letting off on the brakes and barely moving.Sounds like the pads are still grabbing and noise is going thru front suspension,noise is similar to wet brake pads after a car wash.Dealer removed brake pads front and rear,applied brake quiet to rear of pads and also noticed or checked :rotors look good,no rust or ridges,pads look good 8mm front,6mm rear,calipers are not frozen,slides move freely,and pads move freely in hardware.Usually do my own maintanace on my vehicles but not if its a warranty issue.The dealership checked all the things I would have checked,can visually see the brake quiet they applied and have no reason to believe that they did not follow thru with the other items.So now I am a bit stumped on this noise.Being a warranty issue I do not want to tear the brakes down and will be taking the SX back to dealer service dept..Just curious as anyone else had similar problem?As a note,braking performance has not changed,if not for the noise very pleased.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
763 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. It just before the car comes to a complete stop.

I believe it's the pad/rotor grabbing as well. I can't think what else it may be.

If I let up on the brakes as it's coming to a complete stop, it doesn't make the sound...much. A little annoying. It doesn't always happen. Seems to happen more when it's damp.

I do mostly highway driving and time coming to red lights so I don't hear as often as you might.

We'll see after the first brake job.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
I jut noticed the same thing this week. I have just over 28000kms on the Sorento. I was going to mention it at my next oil change which is in 3000kms. Glad to see I'm not the only one with problem

Subscirbed to this thread.

·
Registered
Bright Silver Sorento EX V6 Luxury + 3rd Row (10.8L / 100Km Summer, 12.L / 100Km Winter)
101 Posts
Same issue. Had the Tech check this under warranty and they said it's a "problem with conception". I have a similar problem with my Elantra.

Since both cars are made by the same family (Hyundai, Kia), I guess they use similar material for the Brake Pads. Don't know what they are but as soon as it's cold, subsequent braking will cause a creaking noise when stopping normally, as you reach complete stop from 50Km/h to 0.

The noise is loud enough to cause worry to everyone in the vehicule so I am hopping this get fixed by Kia under the warranty.

I will make a video shortly to share the problem with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue. Actually just started on 12 Sx with8k. I got a Soul! And a Sorento January 2012. Soul started right away only when it was cold. The Sorento was only when it was wet and cold, but has been happening a lot more and even on dry days this winter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't looked at the brakes on this yet, but I bet that one of the following things are the culprit:

1. There are no brake pads springs to retract the pads from the rotor when you let off the brake pedal.
2. There is springs, but they are too weak.
3. There is springs, but the sliding surfaces on the caliper are left in a rough cast, and therefore even though there is a spring, there is too much friction to overcome for it to work.

This is pretty common on a lot of cars I've had. I usually will pull the pads and the caliper, and wire brush the surfaces where the pads slide. Then, if the surface is rough, I'll take some fine sanding paper to it and smooth it out. You don't need to sand very much, you're not trying to appreciably widen the gap, you're just trying to knock down the casting roughness. After I do that, I put some caliper grease right where the pads slide in the caliper housing. If the pads don't have shims, then I put some anti-squeak on the back (Not friction surface side) of the pads.

·
Registered
Hyundai Gencoupe
112 Posts
I didn't have this problem until I had a road trip with a lot of rain and a little snow. I tried to stop and braking performance was about half what it normally was and made a very loud vibration, kind of a honking sound. It did this a few times during that drive. A bit scary. I figured the brakes were wet and the pads were likely saturated... Since that day, the brakes started doing the noise described in the original post.. but as they have dried, to a lesser degree. They still have that little honk/crunch when I let go of the brakes but now that they've dried for a long time, it's almost gone.

I noticed it does come back more when they get wet again... but drying seems to make it much less noticeable.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage 4WD (Diesel), KIA Sorento 2013 SX
22 Posts
I got this noise since from the start I got my Sorento, but mine will only creak if the car moves slowly and you applied subsequent breaking, but if it is at high speed to normal stop, it won't.

I thought that was normal, my friend got also a hyundai tucson... same behavior :) .

·
Registered
Bright Silver Sorento EX V6 Luxury + 3rd Row (10.8L / 100Km Summer, 12.L / 100Km Winter)
101 Posts
Spent some time this weekend to make a decent recording of the problem. Here you go:

Kia Sorento 2011 - Brakes noise in cold weather - YouTube

Temperature was around -8 cenlcius (felt like -18). Started from home and 3-4 stops later, ouch...

Anyone has any idea if this can be fixed? If so, how. I hate the "this is normal and nothing we can do about it" answer from the dealer...

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
My brother in law has a 2010 or 2011 Santa Fe and the same problem. His brakes are due to be changes. we'll see if it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem is not with the hardware. The brakes on the XM Sorento last for freaking ever. 40k+ easily. The issue is with the condition of the contacting surfaces/pad composition. The rotors and pads are both extremely smooth which creates a rubbing noise at very slow speeds and light pedal application. It is just a noise and not a saftey concern, the brakes operate completely normally. The only fix is to machine the rotors and use aftermarket pads if the noise bothers you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts