Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
Just had 3rd service and mot done at dealership. car has done 30000miles. Now they say the front pads need replacing as they arte 80% worn and all 4 tyres have a crease or bulge in them!!!!!

The question is can I just nip to local brake center and have any pads installed or has it got to be kia's brake pads?

Just had a look at tyres and there does seem to be a dent (bulge type) in tyres anything to worry about.

Regards
Wacoe

·
Registered
87 Posts
80% worn means 20% left, don't do anything just yet. Some dealers have been known to lie about these things you know, easy to check without removing wheels even. Just keep a regular check on them.

With regards to tyres get them checked at a good local independant, they may even look at the brakes at the same time to put your mind at rest.

Was once told that the brakes would not last until the next service, went another 30K before they were replaced. Dads car passed its MOT on Frday at 9.30, no advisories, issued certificate. At 11.30 whilst servicing the car the same garage rang him to say rears tyres were illegal. They were having a laugh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Skidlid,
Thanks for the reply, got a free brake check at a local tyre center tomorrow so will see what they say. dont suppose you know if i have to have kia's brake pads fitted to keep warranty do you? as £120 inc vat seems abit steep to me.
Regards
Wacoe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Brakepads are not covered by Kia's warranty, they are a wearing part. Not a warranty issue.

By "tyre centre" I trust its not a national one with Kwik in the title, if so go back to the Kia garage ASAP.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
At the rate of them wearing they will last another 7500 miles. If you do more than that in year then they will need replacing before the next service.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would recommend replacing them. If you're interested in new brake pads, feel free to PM me and I can give you a great price on new pads!

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
When I was operating a company car the agent would say each time the car went in for a service the brake pads would not go to next service and we would say leave them, they had said it on three services and they were looking at the same pads
Tyres, on the sidewall just below the tread you find about six markings, marked TWI ( tread wear indicator ) or a Michelin man, if you look in the tread pattern oposite those markings you will find a pip, if the pip is smooth with the tread then it is illegal, thats what they are for, you dont need a tread depth gauge. As for the bulges you may have a carcass breakdown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts