Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Niro EX + Tech
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

New to the forum (and to the Niro - picked mine up today!).

I noticed a faint beeping from the front grill whenever I go into reverse. What is the purpose of that? It's actually so faint that I assume it is not to alert me that I am in reverse (like my old Prius did with an internal beeper). It's coming from the front, so I assume it's not an external backup alarm.

Any insight anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Kia Niro LX 2017
9 Posts
I hear it too I'm really not sure. When i first got mine I thought something was wrong lol

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,785 Posts
There is a speaker behind the front bumper cover...supposedly to warn pedestrians when the vehicle is being operated in the quiet EV mode..

I will be removing mine whenever I pull the bumper cover to replace the yellowish fog lights with 5000k bulbs to match the HIDs.

·
Registered
Niro 2017 EX w/ sunroof and tech package Arrora Black
47 Posts
I wondered where that beeper was located it makes me giggle when I hear it. my 11 Optima had a rolling noise when it was in EV mode it was also weird.

·
Registered
Niro 2017
3 Posts
It beeps when you backup and makes noise when you move forward. my kids and I were entertained with it. It sounds like George Jetsons vehicle. But my engine does make a whining noise. I don't remember it making whining noise until The vehicle stalled on me. The gas pedal became nonresponsive when this happened. I had to pull the vehicle to the side of the road, put it back in park, shutdown and restart the vehicle. My two children and eyes then noticed a different sound coming from the vehicle. This sound was the whining noise and the George Jetson Sam. I took it to my local dealership concerned that there was something wrong even though the system was checking out OK. The dealership made me feel like an idiot and told me it was a normal sound. They connected a iPad to the car and played the white noise sound but could not mimic the whining noise. I drove back-and-forth a few times to let him hear it and he said it sounded normal. Guess I will know I was right when the wheels fall off!

·
Registered
2017 Niro Touring
7 Posts
Like people said it's to alert pedistrians (especially ones with sight issues) that you are coming.

However it's in a frequency range that hard of hearing people (especially older people where the higher frequency hearing is an issue) can't hear it.

Ask me how I know. I almost pegged my dad because he walked RIGHT BEHIND THE CAR as I was pulling out the other day.
Claimed he "didn't know the car was on"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts