Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX 2.4l Fwd
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I noticed this popping sound awhile ago in my 2012 Sorento with the 2.4l fwd so I did some research and did the few things I read up on. Like make sure struts and start towers weren't loose make sure no bad suspension components and that helped for a while but now its back and back with a vengeance. I did notice a torn boot on one the passenger side cv shaft. That could possible be the culprit but it doesn't sound like a CV joint pop. It really only does it when the steering wheel hits full turn and its more of a knock than a pop. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX 2.4 with Premium Plus Package
19 Posts
I have a 2012 EX 2.4L. It started "clicking" when backing out and wheel was at full turn. I made an appt with the dealer for that and for a knock coming from engine but today it's not making either noise. Still kept my appt. today for the oil consumption issue (3rd reason for dealer appt.). They are going to do an oil flush and engine fuel system cleaning. Service advisor said Kia wants that stuff done when oil problems arise. She also said if engine seizes and they find sludge in it, Kia won't cover repairs under the extended warranty. Sorry to go off topic a bit but let me know what you find with the popping sound.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
568 Posts
If you have a torn boot you need to fix that first and if it's been like that for too long and the grease has escaped I'd consider the CV joint suspect. Bad CVs are normally worst on full lock.

The other thing I guess, potentially a bad wheel bearing. I only suggest this because I accidentally drove over a concrete gutter recently and a couple of days later noticed weird knock / creak almost sounded like bad CV on slow full lock turn right, noise left hand side.No noise driving straight.

Ended up being damaged bearing from the impact. It helped knowing my CV was good because I had only recently swapped those out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ordered the cv shaft already waiting on it to come in and hopefully that takes care of the problem. When tour wheel bearing went out was there in play in it when you tried to move it?

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
302 Posts
The CV joint needs to be taken care of first. Most shops will replace the whole CV shaft with both outer, inner joints, and boots as a rebuilt unit. Your CV joint may be damaged from the torn boot allowing dirt and foreign material into the joint and causing wear to the joint balls and slide grooves. This can cause noise, most of the time clicking noise unless joint is really bad then it may be a knocking noise under power. If you spray your boots down with silicone spray lube every time you change the engine oil, you will not have a CV boot problem caused by normal wear of the boot.

Did you check the lower ball joints?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I check the balk joints and all the suspension components which seemed to all be good. And im going to change the cv shaft myself. Does anyone know if ill need any specialty tools?

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
302 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.