Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I ran my Sportage hot and really smoked the engine.. From what I was told, only the 1998-2002 Sportage will fit. Is this 100% correct or can I use the block and head from an older model and just move all my newer engine parts over?
The local salvage yard has a 96 and a 97, but no models from 98-02.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
'97 mechanical parts will work... some of the electronics are different I think

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Intake and exhaust on the 96 and 97 will be different but the block and head are the same.
UPYOURKIA

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Thats Great! So I just move everything from my block and head and Presto!
(new set of gaskets though)
That's what I did, but I put a 2000 in a 96.
Make sure you change the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, front and rear main seals (front seal is same as cam seal). When you get the replacement water pump, make sure it has the same number of cogs on the drive gear as the one you're removing. 1995 SOHC bolts up the same but has different # of cogs and has been know to be unknowingly sold as a DOHC model. Also, change your power steering, AC, and alternator belts (buy the best power steering belt because it is a pain to replace. While your at it, might as well put new heater and radiator hose, along with heater core. You might want to go with an electric fan and remove your belt driven fan because you will have everything exposed. Just some suggestions.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys.. looks like the one in the 1997 will do it for me. Only 130k on it. The 96 have almost 300k.. Any suggestions on the easiest way to swap these out? Because of limited space, maybe remove the trans first? Strip it down to block and head then install. Rebolt everything back?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts