Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Do not know what it will be for the Canadian market concerning the free v10 online map update (information is avaliable for US market only for the moment) but I just phoned to Kia Canada customer service and I managed to get (without insisiting or negociating) a free v10 map update for my 2016 Sorento SX+ bougth in May 2016 with the v9 map preintsalled.

Here is the process explained by Kia Canada customer service to me (be sure to get their authorization before processing) : go to mapnsoft website (Kia Canada tab), choose your model and year (v10 map update is availble for Sorento 2016 and 2017 only), order the v10 map version, pay by myself, send to Kia Canada customer service the invoice and my credit card statement (to get the exact canadian amount since it is billed in US dollars), refund send by Kia Canada (no payment service there) to my dealer that will give me the refund back.

Not that simple, but it worth the effort to get it for free I think.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
780 Posts
I submitted my request to KIA Canada this morning to be reimbursed for the v10 update. I'll post back once the outcome is known. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX v6 AWD
238 Posts
Hello,

Do not know what it will be for the Canadian market concerning the free v10 online map update
I thought the self service firmware / software update is going to be free, but you keep your current map version? (I'm looking at the hyundai aa site upgrade videos - take out your uvo map sd card, put it in your computer, download the update onto the sd card, put it back into the uvo, upgrade - so not OTA or wireless direct to the car, but self service).

https://youtu.be/uKZ5m4fXEeY?t=60

I didn't think it included a free map update to version 10... Just because mnsoft package the two together when you buy map updates doesn't mean sw and maps must be upgraded together...

Not sure why this would not be the same process for all North America...

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
462 Posts
I thought the self service firmware / software update is going to be free, but you keep your current map version? (I'm looking at the hyundai aa site upgrade videos).

I didn't think it included a free map update to version 10... Just because mnsoft package the two together when you buy map updates doesn't mean sw and maps must be upgraded together...
Canada does not have the capability of getting UVO subscriptions or updates via wireless. The only method available in Canada for head unit firmware updates is via the SD card.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
650 Posts
Canada does not have the capability of getting UVO subscriptions or updates via wireless. The only method available in Canada for head unit firmware updates is via the SD card.
Same in US. Updates are applied via sd card. Looks like they will be distributing the download through the UVO site though. It says it includes minimum map version necessary for operation but doesn't say which version it comes with.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Goose38,

KIA rejected my request for reimbursement. They said it is because KIA Canada has no plans for retrofitting Carplay or Android auto at this time.

Would it be possible to PM me with some form of acknowledgement from KIA that you are being reimbursed?

Thanks either way.

Hello,

Do not know what it will be for the Canadian market concerning the free v10 online map update (information is avaliable for US market only for the moment) but I just phoned to Kia Canada customer service and I managed to get (without insisiting or negociating) a free v10 map update for my 2016 Sorento SX+ bougth in May 2016 with the v9 map preintsalled.

Here is the process explained by Kia Canada customer service to me (be sure to get their authorization before processing) : go to mapnsoft website (Kia Canada tab), choose your model and year (v10 map update is availble for Sorento 2016 and 2017 only), order the v10 map version, pay by myself, send to Kia Canada customer service the invoice and my credit card statement (to get the exact canadian amount since it is billed in US dollars), refund send by Kia Canada (no payment service there) to my dealer that will give me the refund back.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX v6 AWD
238 Posts
Goose38,

KIA rejected my request for reimbursement. They said it is because KIA Canada has no plans for retrofitting Carplay or Android auto at this time.
I was going to say that when the self service software update comes for the US you'll be able to take advantage of it. But a google search found a bunch of complaints that Hyundai Canada isn't allowing it for their older models that are getting updates in the US, so I suppose Kia will follow suite. eg https://twitter.com/hyundaicanada/status/586264021822742528

Shame on Kia Canada if that's a policy decision to hold back when something is being done for the US when the technology and process is the same and can be re-used.

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
541 Posts
Not everything that glitters ....

Tit for Tat :D. We don't get DRLs and the some of the nicer accessories here, LOL.
Which only gives us an opportunity to complain about Kia Canada's decision to have yellow light for DRLs not LEDs like Sportage and just about every other car on the market >:D

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,

Good luck to you.
Finally received my SD card v10 update today (see picture) after a 13 day wait (took 2 days from California to Montreal and 10 days from there to home due to Canadian Custom, thanks to them!). Still need to apply the update. Will let you know.

Refund of the update cost has been sent by Kia Canada to my dealer after sending proof of purchase. Dealer sent me the refund check by mail that I still wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After inspecting the SD card contents, map version seems to be NA.09.41.50.531.003.1 (see picture), even not listed in the Mapnsoft SD matrix : SD Matrix (last version of the matrix is NAM.09.41.50.531.004.1). Will see when update will be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update done in 30 minutes with no problems (see pictures before and after). Map version is confirmed as shown in the Mapnsoft SD matrix : NAM.09.41.50.531.004.1.

Not impressed by Apple Car Play : no any real advantages compared to Siri Eyes Free based on my short test, deactivate vocal commands of the unit, cell phone has to be plugged in the front USB port, Siri still have some problems of French recognition.

Lucky to got it for free since paying 338$ CAN for that, forget it !

By the way, no custom fees (USA to Canada) since Mapnsoft had the good idea to declare a 10$ amount for the purchase without asking.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
115 Posts
Update done in 30 minutes with no problems (see pictures before and after). Map version is confirmed as shown in the Mapnsoft SD matrix : NAM.09.41.50.531.004.1.

Not impressed by Apple Car Play : no any real advantages compared to Siri Eyes Free based on my short test, deactivate vocal commands of the unit, cell phone has to be plugged in the front USB port, Siri still have some problems of French recognition.

Lucky to got it for free since paying 338$ CAN for that, forget it !

By the way, no custom fees (USA to Canada) since Mapnsoft had the good idea to declare a 10$ amount for the purchase without asking.
I received my free update as well and I agree...this would be a colossal waste of $340!!

Apple CarPlay is useless. The same thing already exists with Siri Eyes Free without the iPhone styled buttons. That is all you get as far as I can see. Now, if useful apps are added in the future that will be different.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I received my free update as well and I agree...this would be a colossal waste of $340!!

Apple CarPlay is useless. The same thing already exists with Siri Eyes Free without the iPhone styled buttons. That is all you get as far as I can see. Now, if useful apps are added in the future that will be different.
What did you tell or need to prove to KIA to get the update for free? They flat refused to reimburse me.

And yes, CarPlay is indeed a colossal waste.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
38 Posts
What did you tell or need to prove to KIA to get the update for free? They flat refused to reimburse me.

And yes, CarPlay is indeed a colossal waste.
I called Kia Canada today, spoke to a nice lady on the phone and she said they'd cover the upgrade no questions asked. Didn't have to bargain or complain, just requested politely and they gave me the instructions on how to get the upgrade, how to submit the receipts and how I'd be compensated.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
115 Posts
I called Kia Canada today, spoke to a nice lady on the phone and she said they'd cover the upgrade no questions asked. Didn't have to bargain or complain, just requested politely and they gave me the instructions on how to get the upgrade, how to submit the receipts and how I'd be compensated.
Exactly what I did. Very nice lady to deal with. I just explained that having purchased my Sorento in June and the research I had done prior to buying it indicated that version 10 would be installed I was disappointed.

I am not sure what the dealers are told about this...(they obviously know)...but mine seemed reluctant. Without my persistence and going past them to Kia Canada I would not have been made aware of this complimentary upgrade. Seems odd because this actually is a "good" thing for the brand. With the 10's of thousands of subscriptions they must have purchased from Mapnsoft this cost them nothing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Exactly what I did. Very nice lady to deal with. I just explained that having purchased my Sorento in June and the research I had done prior to buying it indicated that version 10 would be installed I was disappointed.

I am not sure what the dealers are told about this...(they obviously know)...but mine seemed reluctant. Without my persistence and going past them to Kia Canada I would not have been made aware of this complimentary upgrade. Seems odd because this actually is a "good" thing for the brand. With the 10's of thousands of subscriptions they must have purchased from Mapnsoft this cost them nothing.
I purchased mine last fall. That might explain why they refused to reimburse me.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX+
1 Posts
Here's my experience with the Canadian map/navi update from Kia Canada:

I followed Goose38's steps and was able to secure a free navi/headunit update with AA/AC.

They also said it is a one-time free upgrade that you can use at anytime. The person I talked with on the phone recommended to me that I wait a few months for the new version to come out as it will be downloadable onto your own SD card (instead of waiting for Mapnsoft to ship the SD card). They say it is likely there will be updates to AA/AC in the next version as well.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
38 Posts
Here's my experience with the Canadian map/navi update from Kia Canada:

I followed Goose38's steps and was able to secure a free navi/headunit update with AA/AC.

They also said it is a one-time free upgrade that you can use at anytime. The person I talked with on the phone recommended to me that I wait a few months for the new version to come out as it will be downloadable onto your own SD card (instead of waiting for Mapnsoft to ship the SD card). They say it is likely there will be updates to AA/AC in the next version as well.
Not too worried about the updates. For me it's a matter of having Carplay vs not having Carplay. There will always be another "update" around the bend, but I'd rather have carplay than no carplay for any longer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts