Kia Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s on in the stock size of 265/60/18 and they have been awesome. I was doing some deep snow driving yesterday as well as about 20 miles of driving on glare ice and they worked great. As we say in Montana, "All Seasons are No Seasons". Invest in a good set of snowies and you will avoid enough accidents and tow jobs to easily pay for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my Borrego but I must share this story with you, Durring recent snowstorm here in SNJ, I was traveling down unplowed paved road in 15 inches of snow in four wheel hi and became stuck, vehicle just bogged down and stopped in middle of road at 1:00am like it had no power, all I had was snow brush to try and dig wheels out, tryed rocking back and forth in four wheel low with no results, I opened door to check if all wheels were spinning and they were, pulled out by Chevy Sub with no problem after an hour being stuck, after Chevy left area, I became stuck again for another hour just 5 feet from highway that was plowed that I was trying to turn onto, Thank God for NJSP who came along and two Troopers pushed me out, Now I owned a Toyota Four Runner before my Borrego and never got stuck in deeper snow trying to get home from work, I am now gun shy of traveling in snow with my Borrego, But I still love this vehicle, just my two cents.
I live in Maryland and I think we are talking about the same storm. Not sure if you have the V8 or not, but I went through over 20in of snow like it wasn't even there. I loved every minute of it. I only used Hi and never had to use low. I went to plow my mother out and her street was untouched with close to 20in on it, I was nervous, but once again I made it in and out without a problem. I am using the all weather tires that came with it. I've had 2 other SUV's that didn't go through the snow this easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys, I bought mine as a tow vehicle not an off roader. In the summer it puts my boat in and out of the water 5 days a week on our rocky, steep boat launch. The boat is a tournament ski boat that weighs about 3800 lbs with trailer. The key is not to spin a rock into the expensive to repair hull ! It does this great in low range, just idles up nice and safe.
On weekends it pulls the enclosed race bike trailer that is rather tall very comfortably with exception to the steepest hills on which it has to shift down and rev somewhat, but it's still not bad.
There are some traction problems that I have noticed, but it's only when the wheels are turned somewhat. When I back the boat down our gravel drive towards the boat launch, about 200 feet with a 40 ft + - drop I slip it into neutral and keep the wheels straight on the steepest parts because I almost lost it the first time down. My Pathfinder was a little better at it when it's wheels were turned. But it didn't ride as good, nor as level on the highway, always a trade off.
Has anyone tried diconnecting the sway bars for the winter like we used to do on our sports cars years ago ?
Anyway, it's still the best option for the price without a doubt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would like to think that most of whom own the borrego didn't purchase it with the intent of using it off road. I think the article itself is unjust and doesn't really compare apples to apples. I'm the owner of 3 4x4's, Jeep Cherokee, Ford F-250, and of course the Borrego, none of which have ever been used for "off roading" and never will be.

As far the opinions of others, that's really what the forums are about, but this particular postie sounds like a troll and really has no valuable input to the Kia owners out there.

Seriously?!?! I for one bought it for exactly that reason. Its ability to go off-roading. It is a true 4x4. Of course I wanted it for other reasons as well...7 pax, towing capacity, price. Unfortunately....I got stuck in a shopping mall concrete parking lot in 18 inches of snow (powder). I have a VERY bad feeling that this vehicle has no "off roading" capability. BTW...I had it in 4wd LOW. I went from 8 inches of snow up to as much as 24 inches and the engine bogged down to the point it almost died.

Imagine this...lets say you put your SUPER TOUGH JEEP in 4wd LOW...and put the front bumper up against a building and put the gas pedal all the way down. The torque is so high...that I believe the tires would lose traction and start spinning. Now lets say you concrete the tires in place (so that they CAN NOT MOVE)...now you floor the engine. NOW...it will bog down and die.

That is what happened in 18-24 inches of fresh powder snow in a concrete shopping mall parking lot.

Ridiculous!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you ever driven a jeep? I have never seen one ever in stock form ever spin the tires Seriously?
For that matter short of dropping a small block into it is the only way to make that happen.
and bogged in 18 24 inches of snow? change your tires there is no season for all season tires.
My borrego s awesome power and fuel economy for being a V8. On trips I average 25 at 75 to 80 mph.
It has being through the trails out at the cabin, I little more clearance over the tires would be nice but I have pushed threw snow over my knees I am 6ft tall so at least 3ft and made it.
So I dont know how they drive them or you but my lilmule hasnt left me stranded yet.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Seriously?!?! I for one bought it for exactly that reason. Its ability to go off-roading. It is a true 4x4. Of course I wanted it for other reasons as well...7 pax, towing capacity, price. Unfortunately....I got stuck in a shopping mall concrete parking lot in 18 inches of snow (powder). I have a VERY bad feeling that this vehicle has no "off roading" capability. BTW...I had it in 4wd LOW. I went from 8 inches of snow up to as much as 24 inches and the engine bogged down to the point it almost died.
There's a difference between off roading and driving in snow. Did you put snow tires on it since you are trying to drive in 2 feet of snow? 4x4 doesn't do jack in the snow without snow tires. It just means 4 tires spin vice 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was really considering buying one until I read this review. I live in Colorado, and have done some 4-wheeling in my 1998 Mercedes ML320. These are usually rocky dirt trails. I want something at least as capable as my current SUV. Is it just the tires or does it have something to do with the way they tune the transmission and/or suspension? My other choice is the 4Runner, which is very off-road capable... but it's going to cost a lot more considering the deals that can be had on the Kia right now.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with off-roading with the Borrego? Any comments on your experience?

·
Registered
221 Posts
They are a bunch of Retards. The closest thing most any 40K+ SUV goes to off roding is when the wife runs off the driveway onto the landscaping anyway.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
The last post is correct in saying that 4x4er's are not gonna buy a borrego. I do a lot of off road driving in the borrego (not truley 4x4ing) and do find its suspension to be really stiff but haven't gotten it stuck anywhere. Plus here we have specific vehicles for 4x4ing such as the old beater with mud tires....why would someone take a luxury suv 4x4ing?! I bought the 4x4 purely for snow conditions and this car was AMAZING this past (Canadian) winter!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Really?

We DO buy our SUV's for off-roading. Heck, it's 1.5 miles from our house just to get our mail on a well-washboarded dirt/gravel road. In the winter, there is NO plowing of snow (when we get snow). Instead, it's just hop into our vehicle and DRIVE on the snow! There is no road maintenance.

The first thing I do when I buy a new SUV is change the rediculous Passenger tires that they come with. Now I know that most buyers live in the city, but we don't. After 6 months with my new 2009 Borrego EX-V8 4WD, I bought a set of Yokohama GeoLander AT/S's and haven't looked back.

The GeoLanders are awesome. Much better ride then the Hankook's, and great for off-roading. I always question the source of these articles and take everything they say with a grain of salt. I suppose they look at the Borrego from their high perch atop a '67 jeep 4x4 with 36" tires and whether or not it can handle a level 5 trail.

One BIG reason I bought the Borrego was that it had the same Borg-Warner TOD that my 2004 Isuzu Axiom had. My Axiom has 145,000 miles on it, so when it came time for a new SUV, I checked out the Borrego. Bigger, more powerful, and same great 4WD system...hmmm, a no brainer. Did I mention that I used my Axiom on the Gemini trail in Utah (level 3 trail)?

Well, me and my family love to rockhound in Utah, and I can attest to the fact that my 09 Borrego V8 4WD had absolutely no problem navigating the sandy washes of several trails very recently. I never got stuck, nor did I even have to throw it into 4 Low. It's all about knowing how to drive a 4x4 correctly in different situations, as well as the vehicle's capabilities. We found some great geodes while we were there, too!

Perhaps the person that wrote the article just didn't know how to drive a 4x4!;)

dwfamily

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had my Borrego 8 months now with no complaints. I love it. Maybe those that complain about the snow and such don't have the V8. The V8 is very powerful!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts