2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Works for me and others
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, I've read that you have to stand on one leg and log in at 5 AM on a Tuesday morning, but should you really have to do this for any sort of well-designed site?

All members of our family are heavy users of the Internet and we have never before had any problems accessing information or logging on to a site. Wake up KIA!

BTW, you don't really want to know how long I've been using computers, do you? Longer than I've been able to drive.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
And I have had them since the build them yourself kits...Altair, TRS-80 mod 1 with 4k ram and a cassette deck for storage... I still repair them down to component level and run Linux and not the crap called "Microsoft" for 95% of my uses...I run a Virtual Machine with Windoz Xp-p within the Linux OS to access that site with no problems... So I couldn't care less about your so called abilities.

As for the site it probably was a state of art site back when it came on line.
I'm thankful that KIA hasn't pulled the plug on what you call a poorly designed site...They at least ARE providing FREE info...Yes the site is antiquated by today's standards BUT it is there "if" you have the ABILITY to access it...As WE DO.
We help others to gain access to it rather than bad mouth it which helps no one..

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
That site is for American Kia cars, do they have a site like this for European cars? My Cee'd is only available in Europe and does not show as a model in the drop down menu for registration. I suppose I could fake it and enter a different model; the forte is quite close in design. I have an American zip code/address, but would rather have something more tailored to my Cee'd.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
And I have had them since the build them yourself kits...Altair, TRS-80 mod 1 with 4k ram and a cassette deck for storage... I still repair them down to component level and run Linux and not the crap called "Microsoft" for 95% of my uses...I run a Virtual Machine with Windoz Xp-p within the Linux OS to access that site with no problems... So I couldn't care less about your so called abilities.

As for the site it probably was a state of art site back when it came on line.
I'm thankful that KIA hasn't pulled the plug on what you call a poorly designed site...They at least ARE providing FREE info...Yes the site is antiquated by today's standards BUT it is there "if" you have the ABILITY to access it...As WE DO.
We help others to gain access to it rather than bad mouth it which helps no one..
Touch sensitive aren't we? I never said anything about my abilities, but I did run a successful computer business for 20 years. I'm sure that I COULD get onto the KIA site if I really wanted to, it's just that I tried using the standard formula after seeing reports of some difficulties.

Yes, I also had a TRS with tape, Commodore Amigas etc. Initial experience was in 1964 with batch access to a mainframe; program development was "slow".

I've never had a problem with Windows. I've always regarded Linux as a fringe activity; had a couple of machines runniung Linux, but there was no real application in my environment (Small business, home users etc.).

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am still sifting through all the information. There is a lot.

That site is for American Kia cars, do they have a site like this for European cars? My Cee'd is only available in Europe and does not show as a model in the drop down menu for registration. I suppose I could fake it and enter a different model; the forte is quite close in design. I have an American zip code/address, but would rather have something more tailored to my Cee'd

I am really not sure. I ran into this site on complete accident. I was looking for specific MAF sensor information, got onto a different forum, then found a link to this site.

It is the best tech site I have seen. As a gear head and number cruncher then is a dream come true. As for different countries, I truly have no idea. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
Microsoft and their Windows have never become a stable nor SECURE.
It seems every other version is a mistake
95 shaky...98 good
millennium shaky... XP good
Vista shaky, slow, a memory hog...Seven good
and now the big mistake Eight and their attempt to "save it "Eight Point One"

I'd place my money on Linux and their many "open source" versions any day...
No viruses, Trojan Horses, malware....
No Famous "Blue Screen of Death" either...
How about Microsoft's record on security????
---AND---
No NEED to constantly "UPDATE", Activate, Register their crap and then wait for extended periods of time while they force you to install their "Updates/Corrections" before you can even shut the computer off.
WHO NEEDS MICROSOFT?

You also have not been keeping up with what Linux and It's software CAN DO..
Friendly, MS Office compatible, great looking desktop

You said "I've always regarded Linux as a fringe activity; had a couple of machines runniung Linux, but there was no real application in my environment (Small business, home users etc.)."
You haven't kept up on what Linux CAN DO and without COST...Let's see Microcrap top that.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Not a bad example of the generic Linux Vs. Windows rant. Linux seems to produce this sort of venom in its devotees.

You also have not been keeping up with what Linux and It's software CAN DO.

That's rather presumptuous; you have no idea about my experience or capabilities, in this or any other area. Best I stay away from this place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Microsoft and their Windows have never become a stable nor SECURE.
It seems every other version is a mistake
95 shaky...98 good
millennium shaky... XP good
Vista shaky, slow, a memory hog...Seven good
and now the big mistake Eight and their attempt to "save it "Eight Point One"

I'd place my money on Linux and their many "open source" versions any day...
No viruses, Trojan Horses, malware....
No Famous "Blue Screen of Death" either...
How about Microsoft's record on security????
---AND---
No NEED to constantly "UPDATE", Activate, Register their crap and then wait for extended periods of time while they force you to install their "Updates/Corrections" before you can even shut the computer off.
WHO NEEDS MICROSOFT?

You also have not been keeping up with what Linux and It's software CAN DO..
Friendly, MS Office compatible, great looking desktop

You said "I've always regarded Linux as a fringe activity; had a couple of machines runniung Linux, but there was no real application in my environment (Small business, home users etc.)."
You haven't kept up on what Linux CAN DO and without COST...Let's see Microcrap top that.
Yeah, I've seen Linux cults, Apple Cults (myself included at some points), and tons of Windows haters. I have used Ubuntu, and Xandros. I think of it this way.

Carburetors work. They are not the best.

Fuel Injection has gone through many iterations. Throttle body being the worst, but with each "patch" it gets a little better. KIA's new GDI seems promising. :D

I may not love all the features fuel injections brings along with it. My car has so many sensors I have to deal with when modifying, it takes some REAL thought. But it starts up on cold days. It tells me my trouble codes. I never have to set the choke, or worry about vapor lock. Never had to prime the thing with good old B-12 down the carb to kick it over, or put a funnel to my ear to check different parts of the valve cover to find that vacuum leak.

To me Linux is like owning a 1945 Lincoln. A handful of guys know what they are doing. If you need something special, you have to request it, if you can't do it yourself. There really is not a company you can just call to ask question to, just random people. Most companies do not offer support for you, or software. You have to get some clones in most instances.

Windows, and Apple both work for me. I am a careful internet user and I spend the $80 per year for a good anti virus. I have not been infected in over 5 - 6 years. I consider the anti virus the equivalent of me spending extra for royal purple racing oil every 3 change and amsoil high performance for the other ones, along with good filters.

With either of those systems I can even walk into walmart and buy software. Software from the manufacture, not from some guy named Bob. Not an emulator, that is really, just a copy of someone else's work... just free.

Now I am done with that too.

Oh wait... we registered for this forum didn't we? No, No... must have just been me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes, I've read that you have to stand on one leg and log in at 5 AM on a Tuesday morning, but should you really have to do this for any sort of well-designed site?

All members of our family are heavy users of the Internet and we have never before had any problems accessing information or logging on to a site. Wake up KIA!

BTW, you don't really want to know how long I've been using computers, do you? Longer than I've been able to drive.
If you are still having problems with the KIA site, it may be because of your location. Perhaps they do IP country codes? Not sure since Europe is not near the states either.

None the less, if you still can't get in, I see that you are a well respected long time user of this forum. Let me know in a post and I will PM you my User/Pass for non-nefarious uses.

If you are a tinkerer, machinist, do it yourselfer, even if you just like tech specks. This is the place to find it. I have been able to rid myself of 2 sensors with no dash lights, with a resister and watch battery. I now know what the heck the ECU wants to see.

Disclaimer: My vehicle is a test bed for aftermarket products. It is not for on road use. It is against local, state and federal law to purposely bypass OBD2 Emission sensors for on road vehicles. Any information given here is for informational purposes only.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
You pay $80 for anti-virus software...I don't need to pay anything...
I also have not had ANY viruses...
As far as software...I don't have to buy any...Linux software is quality and FREE..
You should "test drive" a new 2013 version... and as far as having to know anything about it I have replaced Windoz on quite a few computers with Linux for totally un-knowledgeable people and they need less hand holding than for Microsoft software...Linux just works and doesn't require constant "updates".
My wife HATES her Windows machine that is "required" for her work and her close friend can't stand her Windows 8 laptop..
To each their own...
Dave

·
Registered
06 Rio, 136K miles
77 Posts
Dave,

Which 2013 version do you recommend? I have a spare computer that I'd like to install linux on and check it out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You pay $80 for anti-virus software...I don't need to pay anything...
I also have not had ANY viruses...
As far as software...I don't have to buy any...Linux software is quality and FREE..
You should "test drive" a new 2013 version... and as far as having to know anything about it I have replaced Windoz on quite a few computers with Linux for totally un-knowledgeable people and they need less hand holding than for Microsoft software...Linux just works and doesn't require constant "updates".
My wife HATES her Windows machine that is "required" for her work and her close friend can't stand her Windows 8 laptop..
To each their own...
Dave
Truthfully the only computer I am using at the moment was a top of the line laptop from 2009. It has gone from XP with a free upgrade to Vista then a free we are sorry upgrade to 7 now I put 8 on it but still run it like a 7 machine.

This has been the longest life cycle I have gotten out of a computer. I have kids, I online game, I interface it with my car, etc. I'm not going to mess with this. It has been good to me.

Now I do have to give you the :eek:fftopic: award :D

But now that you have mentioned this I started thinking about what I would want for my 9 year old with her first computer. I know she will destroy it. I am good enough at programing to block internet content and only allow specific sites I want her to see, and a bare bones set up is super cheap.

So yes, I am interested to know "Which 2013 version do you recommend?".

My daughter would be much more flexible than I, and as a little one, she could be as fickle as she wanted with software, because open source tends to be cheaper. Hmmm. I really hate it when those idea gears start rolling.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
Yeah, I've seen Linux cults, Apple Cults (myself included at some points), and tons of Windows haters. I have used Ubuntu, and Xandros. I think of it this way.

Carburetors work. They are not the best.

Fuel Injection has gone through many iterations. Throttle body being the worst, but with each "patch" it gets a little better. KIA's new GDI seems promising. :D

I may not love all the features fuel injections brings along with it. My car has so many sensors I have to deal with when modifying, it takes some REAL thought. But it starts up on cold days. It tells me my trouble codes. I never have to set the choke, or worry about vapor lock. Never had to prime the thing with good old B-12 down the carb to kick it over, or put a funnel to my ear to check different parts of the valve cover to find that vacuum leak.

To me Linux is like owning a 1945 Lincoln. A handful of guys know what they are doing. If you need something special, you have to request it, if you can't do it yourself. There really is not a company you can just call to ask question to, just random people. Most companies do not offer support for you, or software. You have to get some clones in most instances.

Windows, and Apple both work for me. I am a careful internet user and I spend the $80 per year for a good anti virus. I have not been infected in over 5 - 6 years. I consider the anti virus the equivalent of me spending extra for royal purple racing oil every 3 change and amsoil high performance for the other ones, along with good filters.

With either of those systems I can even walk into walmart and buy software. Software from the manufacture, not from some guy named Bob. Not an emulator, that is really, just a copy of someone else's work... just free.

Now I am done with that too.

Oh wait... we registered for this forum didn't we? No, No... must have just been me.

How's TBI the worst? Efficiency maybe, but as a system itself, TBI is great. That's why hot rodders still use it, capable of real high power output, and wonderfully easy to tune, shoot, there are now 4bbl systems that can make a 450hp V8 get 20mpg highway.

Now THAT'S off topic! ;) LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
Sorry about the OT...
I believe there should be workable options other than "pay as you go" Microsoft and they are out there and are mature enough for the average computer user to get started with little hand holding..
I'm here if you want to ask questions in a pm...
Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts