Kia Forum banner

Forte USB Flash Drive Question

18K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  David Short 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if you have to remove the flash drive from the USB port every time you turn the car off? Kia's video says it should not be in the USB port before the car is started, but I've heard some people say they can leave it in.

#2 ·
Hi Steve-M,

Well I think the recommendation is to unplug the USB everytime you turn off your car and plug again only after turned on BUT I do always leave it plugged all the time.

I had some problems with USB in my Forte (Cerato here in Brazil) and I could see only 2 things that could make it work unproperly.

1) If USB is formatted as NTFS it will not be recognized and a message of "USB empty" appears even if it is not when you check on your computer. My prefered type is FAT-32.

2) Put only .mp3 files at your USB drive and you will have the musics working forever there. Make sure to don't have any .wav, .txt, .pdf, .anything_else
Off course it may play some other extensions, but somewhere, somehow, it stops working.

Hope to had helped

Cheers,

Boksic

#3 ·
not sure what stereo system you have, but I have the UVO system in my Soul and use a small 1 gb flashdrive. I leave it in the USB port all the time, I usually try to remember to shut the stereo/radio system off before turning off my engine, but sometimes I forget and not encountered any problems.
They just recommend to remove it as it may damage the USB device in some cases or if its in use while you shut off the engine, so they recommend to disconnect the USB device only after the audio power is off (hence the reason I try to remember to shut off the unit before turning off the engine).
With it left in in my system it starts back up on the USB flash drive at the same part of the track as when I shut it off. However, if you remove it and install it after starting the vehicle they it has to reload each time, which can be a nuisance.

#6 ·
Recommendation from KIA is to NOT have the USB inserted before you turn ON the Car.
Insert the USB after you turn on the Car.
That's the Official Recommendation.
What you do, personally, is up to you, but you may damage the contents of what's on the USB.

#7 ·
Recommendation from KIA is to NOT have the USB inserted before you turn ON the Car.
Insert the USB after you turn on the Car. That's the Official Recommendation. What you do, personally, is up to you, but you may damage the contents of what's on the USB.
The only reason Kia mentions this, is due to the off chance of power surging the USB port and possibly damaging the flash drive or its contents. It never happens but Kia doesn't want to chance liability.

I have a 16Gb and 32Gb microsd USB drive that I leave in the USB port without incident. You can pop it in and out as needed without worry as all true USB drives are plug and play. Only the iPod/iPhone usb cable must be plugged in after engine is started.

Like many, I started with the USB iPod cable, then got rid of the dangling cable and streamed my mp3's via BT. Now I just leave the USB flash drive in and it's the best setup. No muss or fuss!

#8 ·
I agree with SERVER, I just recently bought a 8 gb micro flash-drive like in the picture above and just leave it plugged in all the time. You can hardly tell it even has a flash-drive plugged in its so small. Haven't loaded it fully up yet with just 156 tracks so far - ton's of room left, like the album covers when the track plays - nice feature.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.