Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sorrento Ex
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got this 04 Sorento EX from my mother 3 weeks ago. She always kept it under cover and did not know the drains for the sunroof were blocked. Well we got all those cleaned, the left side had what looked like chips of concrete coming out of the tip when we cleaned it out. Now my issue is that the sunroof is closed but was working up until I got it. Because the drains were clogged the water was draining down inside of the cabin and soaked just about everything from the headliner above the visors down to the carpet on both sides. The issue is that when I try to use the controls to operate the sunroof nothing happens. We checked the fuse and even changed it out to no avail. The tracks were maintained so it has nothing to do with the maintenance of the sunroof itself. Is there a relay that I can check? We cleared the drains just yesterday and had a very strong rain storm afterwards. Everything inside was dry after the rain. Any help would be great, please and thank you.

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
78 Posts
Hard to say...sound like something may have gotten shorted out. You might see if it is jammed. On many vehicles (not sure about yours...you'll need to check your owner's manual) there is a manual override for moving the sunroof glass...near the sunroof, there should be a cap that you can take off and use an allen key wrench (or similar) to move the sunroof (sort of a 'hand crank' mechanism.)

If the sunroof is BCM controlled or monitored...it is a long shot, but you might try resetting the BCM computer...remove battery cable for a few seconds...

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2006, 2.5 ltr, CRDi XT, Diesel Auto
12 Posts
Hello,

On the mk1 Sorento, according to the handbook you need to do the following if your sunroof fails to open.

1. Remove the overhead light lens above the front seats.
2. Remove the two (2) screws, and then remove the overhead con-sole.
3. Insert the emergency handle (provided with the vehicle) and turn the handle clockwise to open or counterclockwise to close.

This of course is alright if you have the handle. If you didn't get one with the car then see if you can contact a Kia main dealership and see if they can supply you with one. Alternatively, you could look on Ebay and any other auction sites to see if anyone is breaking a Sorento, and has found a handle they don't know what to do with.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,834 Posts
If you havent found the screwdriver thing yet, check under the passenger seat for the hidden drawer.
I had this vision of some Sorento owners desperately searching under seats for something that does not exist ........
Not every model had a drawer (certainly NO UK models) and I suspect it may depend on the trim level as well. :)

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2006, 2.5 ltr, CRDi XT, Diesel Auto
12 Posts
I had this vision of some Sorento owners desperately searching under seats for something that does not exist ........
Not every model had a drawer (certainly NO UK models) and I suspect it may depend on the trim level as well. :)
Sorry to disagree, but I have a 2006 XT and it has a large plastic drawer under the front passenger's seat. It also has a multi-CD changer under the driver's seat, but it's jammed so that I can't get the cassette out, but I'm going to replace the original radio anyway with a more modern unit so I won't be using it.

·
Registered
2004 Sorrento Ex
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much for your input. We did not get the override handle with our kia, however, my husband found one of his allen wrenches fit in the hole. We now have to get the switch out and check it.

·
Registered
1999 Sephia 1.5 Benzene Manual + 2005, Sorento Ex 2.5 Diesel OTM 140 HP
3 Posts
So I just got this 04 Sorento EX from my mother 3 weeks ago. She always kept it under cover and did not know the drains for the sunroof were blocked. Well we got all those cleaned, the left side had what looked like chips of concrete coming out of the tip when we cleaned it out. Now my issue is that the sunroof is closed but was working up until I got it. Because the drains were clogged the water was draining down inside of the cabin and soaked just about everything from the headliner above the visors down to the carpet on both sides. The issue is that when I try to use the controls to operate the sunroof nothing happens. We checked the fuse and even changed it out to no avail. The tracks were maintained so it has nothing to do with the maintenance of the sunroof itself. Is there a relay that I can check? We cleared the drains just yesterday and had a very strong rain storm afterwards. Everything inside was dry after the rain. Any help would be great, please and thank you.
Exact same thing happened to me. Drains were full and rain was dropping inside. I got the drains flushed and looks like I demaged something with the sunroof. Costed me 100 dollars to fix the issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts