Kia Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Well that's very interesting. Not knowing about this issue at the time... I really didn't pay attention to the electrode or how it went it. Dealing with Borrego headlights is such a pain that I'm still not motivated to mess with it yet. I will get bored eventually and start trying to adjust it.

Glad to hear yours came out good though.

It shouldn't flicker. Check all your connections and make sure they are good. Since you have one good light and one flicker light... you can swap components one by one to the other light and see when the problem transfers (bulb then ballast). Do you have the smaller digital ballast or the bigger one? If it continues, tell your seller and see if they will supply new bulb/ballast.

Mine don't flicker at all... I have Xentec with digital ballast.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I would suspect the ballast rather than the lamp itself.
It may not keep voltage within spec (85V).
If you can, move the ballast to the other side and see if anything changes.

I had the old ballasts before and the lamps flickered (always) after around 3-5 minutes after initial ignition. But the light was constant - no permanent flickering.

There is a chance this is the lamp. It may have some incorrect gas mixtures. But this might be easily excluded by comparing light intensity and color. Look on them (not directly) or use white screen, and if you see exactly the same color - they should be fine.
Better fix this problem soon, because it may damage the lamp. The worst thing you can do to HID lamp is to turn it off, and turn on back again (when it is still hot). Doing that will shorten lamps life.
Word of explanation - HID light bulb is called lamp, because it does not work like a light bulb (filament), but it is high intensity discharge lamp.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Flickering is due to the ballast not the bulbs. If they are not the slim small digital ballast they will flicker. The big ballasts tend to flicker and sometimes will even fail to ignite a lamp when turned on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
The Flickering is due to the ballast not the bulbs. If they are not the slim small digital ballast they will flicker. The big ballasts tend to flicker and sometimes will even fail to ignite a lamp when turned on.
I had them for one year and could not complain.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts