Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
@smuook
Yes, it is a problem, because if you compare the halogen bulb with equivalent HID, you will find that they do not match (in halogen H11B, as well as in H11 the electrode is on opposite side comparing to HID). So, in other words - some one screwed it up.

As for rotation.
It was not easy, but luckily my HID lamp base is plastic as well the base on headlight assembly. A cut (just a little bit, less than half mm, which is 1/64 inch) on the base from headlight (on corners where you put the bulb in), and then a little bit more on the base of HID base - the same location.
Then I put the lamp into the base (base is still removed from headlight) at weird angle, and pushed it a little bit while rotating. It snapped into its position.
And on the end I simply installed the whole unit (base with lamp) into the headlight assembly.

And that's why (or I should have said - this is another reason) I want to get the right model of HID lamp so that I can simply remove the lamp without removal of the base.

I hope it makes sense to you... :)

refer to this post, base is shown on the second picture I believe (with the connector)
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/49128-hid-5000-k-h11b-2007-rondo-2.html#post232634

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
It does make sense...

I contacted ebay seller and awaiting his response. We'll see what they say. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
It does make sense...

I contacted ebay seller and awaiting his response. We'll see what they say. :confused:
Probably the same what I was told - they do not see any problem, they have never heard about it... and so forth.
Even when I sent them pictures they did not want to admit there is something weird in them. They were trying to blame it on me.

But one thing I was told which is weird for me is that Rondo (and probably Borego too) projector is designed "up side down" comparing to some other projectors... Can't really compare it...

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Can you tell me the eBayer you bought that system from? I'm looking to upgrade my '06 Spec5 but have had hell with some eBayers lately. I have the 4000K Silverstars but those aren't what i'm looking for. I recently purchased some "7500K" Halos but they were crap, the stock lights were brighter than they were. Any help would be great. Can you recommend a good fog light as well?
So many foglights out there... it's a matter of what style you like and how much you are willing to pay. Do you want good driving lights or true fogs? Then you have to decide if you want 55W or 100W, etc. I'm going through my own light saga on my bull bars here:

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-mohave-borrego/53420-bull-bars-installed-pics.html?posted=1#post267337

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I guess what I don't understand is no matter which way you rotate them, aren't they going to block some of the light?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh just to make sure I understand, install the electrode facing the sky, right?

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
just simply take the H11B bulb and HID. Look on those carefully and you will see how the base is oriented and how the electrode is located (in HID we call it electrode, in halogen filament support)

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
I guess what I don't understand is no matter which way you rotate them, aren't they going to block some of the light?
Possibly, but it might not matter as much if the light being blocked is farther down the road. In the case of my pictures, the light being blocked is closest to the vehicle and can easily be seen by the driver.

I don't remember. I didn't know about this issue when I installed them. My suggestion would be to try different settings while the light is out and shine the beam next to the garage door or something. Don't put the light back in until you get it to where you are good with it. You may have to make some modifications to be able to rotate the bulb. I can tell you that if the blocked light is at the bottom like you see in the picture, you will notice it while driving as a slightly darker area. If you can, takes some pics of the light pattern with the clock position of the electrode. Here's a pic of the electrode if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
hey, where did you get the picture from?

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
oh well, for a minute I was thinking it was the right one (on picture), but the bulb is rotated on the pict...

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
These cheap bulbs and kits are being pumped in from Guangzhou, China... there's a metric sh*t ton of these companies pushing cheap products. There rarely have detailed spec sheets. I don't know how you would track the specific bulb layout down. :huh:

Here's one manufacturer that shows some pics, but not much more:

HAINING TAICHANG AUTO LIGHTING CO.,LTD.

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
I got a quick reply from Autoluminate (the eBay company I bought from)... the said that these were the bulbs that are recommended from the manufacturer for the Borrego. They offered to pay shipping to refund me... or give me free bulbs so I can install the kit on another car, which I thought was great of them.... good customer service. Anywho, I said no thanks and will just keep the kit. I will probably try to rotate the bulb sometime in the future.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio
25 Posts
I have 10000k in my 07 Rio, 100 bucks on craigslist from a local dealer. love them! ballasts seem to be doing just fine. downside, no high beams..but i dont really need them..they are bright enough :)

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
^^^^^^

This dude joined today and has posted the same crap 11 times... I hope a Mod bans him.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
the said that these were the bulbs that are recommended from the manufacturer for the Borrego.
Yes, sure... If anyone ever though about it, would find out that the bulb is different.
I believe you still have the H11B halogen, look where the filament support is. They only found out that H11 is the same as H11B. Only difference is that H11 HID for H11B must straight, not angled (like H11 halogen) due to the connector on H11B.

This dude joined today and has posted the same crap 11 times... I hope a Mod bans him.
Per request. :)

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Yes, sure... If anyone ever though about it, would find out that the bulb is different.
I believe you still have the H11B halogen, look where the filament support is. They only found out that H11 is the same as H11B. Only difference is that H11 HID for H11B must straight, not angled (like H11 halogen) due to the connector on H11B.
I think you are correct. My guess is that this is the only style available from this supplier.

Per request. :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I got my lights in today - FAST shipping! Anyway, in looking at the .PDF that PLP provided, they are Type 2.
I am hoping to install this weekend and will take plenty of pics then.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
great, waiting to see how they work
remember to check the light pattern before putting the headlights back. :)

·
Registered
09 Borrego, 911RS, 1198, TZ125
23 Posts
Hi Guys, just to fan the flames a little. I just got my HID's in my Borrego (09). I received the type 2 bulb which puts the electrode on the wrong side. It buy the way is the opposite side of my stock H11b's, but after getting out in the night and finding a dark area with a wall I noticed that I Do Not have any of the shadows or broken light that the pictures show. I have an even light from one side of the cut off to the other. There must be other parameters that contribute to the shadowing effect. I did verify with calipers that the centre of the fillament on the original H11B is in exactly the same position as the center of the HID "burn zone".

One question I have, I have a very, very slight flicker in one bulb, just barely noticible on the wall. Is this acceptable ?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts