Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. On my last car, 2001 VW Passat, I replaced the head light assemblies and added HIDs. However the cost of the HIDs was around $200. I had read some stories about guys buying cheap China made sets on eBay for $70 and the ballast would go out after a few months. Here are the ones I was going to purchase: click here

Has anyone had any issues with their lights? Are you worried about the fact that you paid $19.99 + shipping for these. Please note I am not trying to sound like an a-hole. Just wondering if this is a really good deal or a too good to be true deal.

Thanks! - Erik

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
OK, here are my 2 cents.
I did purchase a HID kit from hidguy. Shipping was really fast, ballasts are slim, but they have two parts, not only this small credit card like piece.

Contact with them kind of poor though...

But, what is most important. I discovered a very bad problem. Well, at least it happened with my Rondo where I have projector housing.
If you have time, go ahead and take a look here.
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/49128-hid-5000-k-h11b-2007-rondo.html
Also refer to this drawing. This is the essence of all problems. Simply, the electrode covers some of the light. Compare them (the drawings) to the H11B halogen bulb.
http://www.kia-forums.com/attachments/kia-carens-rondo-forum/4652d1256401099-hid-5000-k-h11b-2007-rondo-h11b-top-model-1-.pdf

Another thing was that I did not like the color. Color was flickering, sometimes getting greenish, more or less bluish, sometimes nice white... I ordered 5000K while they were more blue than my old 6000K... finally I got replacement, which was better, but still issue mentioned above (covered light).

I need to say though that the ballasts are much better in terms of energy use. To be exact on the start. The old ones (thick) would drain around 10 A for first seconds, and then would drop to 4A, while this one stays within 3.5-4.0 A all the time (so no need to put extra wiring or better fuses). Of course this is per ballast.

What I recommend is to find the right HID bulb.

And, my opinion now, I should have purchased them from eBay for 60USD, and not for 120...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not a problem whatsoever. I love them. No flicker no nothing I paid $50 with shipping for them on Ebay. I have the Xentec system with the second generation ballast. Love them. Look at the difference in full daylight! The second picture is the Xentec second generation ballast mounted right to the lamp pods. Just make sure the set you buy includes the smaller digital ballast and not the bigger analog type because they can flicker a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What temp did you guys get. In my Passat, I got the 6000k but I am thinking of getting the 5000k model this time to blend in better with the high beams and fog lights.

Oh and as always, thanks for the replies!
Erik

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
I have 5000K... they are pretty much a very pure white, can't really see any blue or yellow. They look like most factory HIDs that you see. But the brightness is so intense that it doesn't really match halogens.

If you click the temperature links on the left on the link below, you get a pretty good idea of the difference.

5000k Xenon HID Conversion Kits

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks smuook. Guess I am going to ordering the $50 ones from eBay this weekend :)

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
I would recommend 4300K. 6000K is pretty blue, 5000K is much better. But this is only me...

·
Registered
2009 Borrego
233 Posts
I have 6000k on two of my vehicles, on the Kia they work great and very happy with them. I bought them locally with two years exchange warranty and paid more then Ebay prices.. :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just in case anyone was checking this thread, I ordered the 5000k today from eBay. Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course. Especially after you took the time to help me. That's the least I could do! Hopefully will have them by Friday but not sure.

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
After reading PLPs post here:
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/49128-hid-5000-k-h11b-2007-rondo.html

...I do believe I am experiencing the electrode issue blocking some of the light as in his Rondo. Sorry for posting this late but I'm just realizing this.

@edwelly - sorry for the lateness, I know you ordered yours... but if you can call them and tell them to hold the order for a day or two... I think I can get this sorted out. It's got to do with the projector housing and position of the electrode. I knew it was odd... but I didn't realize that there where two layouts for the H11.

Stay tuned for pics and a solution...

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
smuook

What I did was to rotate the HID bulb, I simply put it in "wrong way" (by 120deg)
It did kind of made it better, but the "shadow" is in other place...

I am still looking for "the right" bulb though.

What is in your mind? I bet something good. :)

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Here are the pics... you can see the issue pretty good. I thought it was something I just had to live with. But I'm gonna investigate some solutions tomorrow. Too late and too dark now...

@PLP - I'll see tomorrow when I get some daylight and sleep. Hopefully, I can rotate it.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
finally someone noticed the same problem
I mean, I am not happy you experienced the same issue, but it means that I am not the only one who had to deal with that. And it confirms that I did not imagine the issue...

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
5 Posts
your Xentec kit

Can you tell me the eBayer you bought that system from? I'm looking to upgrade my '06 Spec5 but have had hell with some eBayers lately. I have the 4000K Silverstars but those aren't what i'm looking for. I recently purchased some "7500K" Halos but they were crap, the stock lights were brighter than they were. Any help would be great. Can you recommend a good fog light as well?

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Here's the ebay-er I got mine from. They were $34.99 US + $29.99 s/h. I recommend the 2nd gen xentec (smaller, digital ballast). I'm very pleased with the quality. Everything from the wiring, to the water tight connectors, to the actual operation.

eBay My World - autoluminate

As far as the electrode issue goes and it blocking some of the light... I really can't blame the HID kit. Heck, I had no idea about this myself and a reasonable person couldn't expect them to know that. I think I will email them and let them know however. It's probably more of the way the Borrego headlight projector is designed.

I'm really not very motivated to take out the head lamps again. Those who have installed this kit on a Borrego know what I'm taking about. It's a major pain, to put it mildly. I do acknowledge that it is occuring... but I wouldn't even call it a "problem" since 95% of the light is fine and I can still see great. I consider it more of an "issue" that I want to solve when I get the time. I may do this on a weekend when I have a few hours to spare.

@PLP - when I installed my bulbs, it seemed like their was only one way they fit in place. How did you rotate yours 120 degrees?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts