Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear KIA badge (on the tailgate) is NOT held on with double sided tape. (at least on the SX and SXL, not sure about lower trims, but a would guess they're all the same) There are 2 little Phillips screws holding it on. The only way to get to those screws is to remove that whole piece below the window. This requires removing the inner tailgate plastic trim. It is quite a bit of work just to remove a badge!

The front badge is easier, but still not held on with tape. You need to remove the plastic piece under the hood, behind the grille/between the headlights (2 bolts, 6 screws, 2 screw clips). Once that's out of the way, you have good access to the back of the badge to pry loose the 4 plastic tabs holding it in.

Sorry I don't have any pictures. I figured it all out by trial and error (destroyed the rear badge without actually removing the tailgate piece, which I don't recommend)

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
I ordered the full re-badging kit when we purchased our SX.. I told the dealer to hold till our first service appointment to install..

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
DriverDave, I removed the front badge and unintentionally destroyed it in the process. Now I'm ready to tackle the back one. The inside trim doesn't look intuitive to remove. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I never actually removed the inside rear trim. I didn't know how the badge was attached and destroyed it taking it off. That's when I realized it was held on with 2 screws that can only be accessed by removing the trim. I suppose you could try destroying the badge like I did, but that's pretty risky. I came real close to scratching the paint around the badge, but got lucky. You might check Kiatechinfo.com and see if the service manuals describe the technique for removing that trim.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
421 Posts
+1 on checking Kiatechinfo.com

They have all the diagrams and official instructions on how to remove the trim from the tailgate. I personally would be a little nervous about removing trim...there is always a potential that you don't put it together properly and it creates a rattle or issue. Proceed with caution and at your own peril.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
My badges haven't worn out....So...I'm good... :)
Dave

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
DriverDave, thanks for all the background info. And thanks to Spacedogg for the all the illustrations. Someone else mentioned a Dremel tool. And now that I have the front emblem off I can see the placement of the screws. Maybe I'll route around them and then snap off the stems attached to the screws. That seems safer than removing the tailgate assembly. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So now that I will be picking up my new KIA Sorento...going to get some new badges. The aftermarket stylized "K" badges seem to come in four main sizes:

1) XL - 169mm x 84mm
2) L - 144mm x 73mm
3) M - 129mm x 65mm
4) S - 110mm x 56mm

Can someone confirm the correct size for a 2014+ KIA Sorento? It appears most vendors sell the 169mm x 84mm size for the front and rear badge for the 2014+ KIA Sorento. One vendor says it is actually the large size for the front and medium for the rear. I have also heard from another vendor the actual 2014+ KIA Sorento badge size is a little odd size and is actually closer to 150mm.

Where did people buy their badges? Some cheap ebay ones apparently "cracks" in sunlight. Karbon Koncepts sell a 7pc kit for $75 or so which seems a little high compared to the cheap ebay ones.
Kia 3.0 K Logo Emblems - Sets | Karbon Koncepts

Loden also have flat matte black versions. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just measured my original 2014 SXL badges...front and rear are the same at 150mmx75mm.
Here are the carbon/stainless ones I got for my car 2014+ Sorento R CARBON/STAINLESS STEEL VIP K Emblem Badge Grill - Korean Auto Imports
They are far better than the plain black ones, but they are a bit small at about 144mmx72mm. At first I was annoyed because there is a pocket front and rear for the badge, and these don't quite fill it up like the stock badges do. Even though the cheap K badges are the same size as stock, and completely fill the pocket, they just don't look nearly as good as the carbon ones. My friends didn't even notice the small gap around the badge until I pointed it out. I can post up some close-up pics if you want.

BTW, the black part on the cheap badges is not paint, it is a sticker that started peeling off within 2 days. And the chromed plastic is wavy and cheap looking. The carbon ones have a nice exact machined quality.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just measured my original 2014 SXL badges...front and rear are the same at 150mmx75mm.
Here are the carbon/stainless ones I got for my car 2014+ Sorento R CARBON/STAINLESS STEEL VIP K Emblem Badge Grill - Korean Auto Imports
They are far better than the plain black ones, but they are a bit small at about 144mmx72mm. At first I was annoyed because there is a pocket front and rear for the badge, and these don't quite fill it up like the stock badges do. Even though the cheap K badges are the same size as stock, and completely fill the pocket, they just don't look nearly as good as the carbon ones. My friends didn't even notice the small gap around the badge until I pointed it out. I can post up some close-up pics if you want.

BTW, the black part on the cheap badges is not paint, it is a sticker that started peeling off within 2 days. And the chromed plastic is wavy and cheap looking. The carbon ones have a nice exact machined quality.
Awesome. Thank you DriverDaveCO! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX
63 Posts
I won't say don't order from Korean Auto Imports, but order at your own risk.

I can vouche for Will at karbon koncepts. He sells quality item. I haven't ordered anything from him for the Sorento, but did on the Optima.

I've been debating on getting the K badge for the Sorento.

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
I recently installed the Loden K badges and they look very good. The flat K part is metal and the chrome surround is plastic. I prefer the look of the badges on Karbon Koncept's website although I haven't seen them in person.

The front and rear Loden badges do come in the 150mm size. The stick-on steering wheel badge is too small. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures.

Dave

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX V6 AWD
51 Posts
Is anyone aware of any sets that are stick-on only? I am leasing my vehicle and I don't want to get too crazy and potentially break something during the install that I'll later have to reinstall and risk paying for. :banana: The banana has no significance by the way.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is anyone aware of any sets that are stick-on only? I am leasing my vehicle and I don't want to get too crazy and potentially break something during the install that I'll later have to reinstall and risk paying for. :banana: The banana has no significance by the way.
If you can find a way to buy them, I believe this is what you're looking for...
Metal Skin Badges | Loden Emblems

This is also the company that makes the badges I have (carbon-stainless series).

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX
63 Posts
I recently installed the Loden K badges and they look very good. The flat K part is metal and the chrome surround is plastic. I prefer the look of the badges on Karbon Koncept's website although I haven't seen them in person.

The front and rear Loden badges do come in the 150mm size. The stick-on steering wheel badge is too small. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures.

Dave

Post some pix and then tell us how order them! :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
OK Skunk, here's the good news and the not so good news.

The front and rear badges look great on the Sorento. The are 150mm and fit the space exactly the same as the factory badges.

Here are a few photos.

The base of the emblems including the round frame is molded and chromed plastic. The center is flat with a gray and black patterned plastic print that is trying to mimic carbon fiber. The actual "K" is a flat piece of stainless steel that is applied with a double stick tape. This raises the metal off the surface and elevates a sharp point. Be careful when you wash and dry the emblem that you don't catch a finger on this.

Ordering: Prior to placing an order I visited Loden's site and asked them who their dealers were in the US. I also asked if they offered the badges with a solid background instead of the carbon fiber look. They never responded and that was over a month ago. Looking it up on the internet I could only find the emblems were available from Korean Auto Imports. I read their horrible reviews on this site and decided to risk $99 for the set of 7 badges. It's a long story but the bottom line is that they did arrive about two weeks later even though they told me the emblems were in stock when I ordered them. The mail took about three days so the delay was in getting them out of the warehouse. I would use them as my very last option.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Dave

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Dave, you got lucky that yours are 150mm. I originally got mine from eBay from a seller called Sherwood Automotive, which is actually Korean Auto Imports. They had no size listed, but were supposed to fit a 2014 Sorento R. Other than the size (mine is only about 144mm), they are exactly the same as yours.

Now all you have to do is de-badge the rest of the tailgate and get the chrome trim, like this....

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
DriverDave,

It's my wife's Sorento and I already asked her if she wanted the other badges removed. No go.

But I like the chrome trim. Where did you get it and what did it cost?

Dave

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX
63 Posts
OK Skunk, here's the good news and the not so good news.

Ordering: Prior to placing an order I visited Loden's site and asked them who their dealers were in the US. I also asked if they offered the badges with a solid background instead of the carbon fiber look. They never responded and that was over a month ago. Looking it up on the internet I could only find the emblems were available from Korean Auto Imports. I read their horrible reviews on this site and decided to risk $99 for the set of 7 badges. It's a long story but the bottom line is that they did arrive about two weeks later even though they told me the emblems were in stock when I ordered them. The mail took about three days so the delay was in getting them out of the warehouse. I would use them as my very last option.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Dave

Thanks. Yeah, I sent them an email and got a reply the next day pretty much saying the only place that offers is KAI. I'm reluctant to order from them. But it does look very nice. I'll check with Will at Karbon Koncept to see if he can get something going with Loden. That way I can deal with a company I can trust.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts