Kia Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Optima SX+
45 Posts
Here's the finished product.
Very nice, you'll have to write up a DIY or meet up with me (...in the summer of course) to show me how you did it :). Looks awesome!!!

Reactions: Coolwhip

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I checked mine again and it does seem trim specific. Mine only appears to have the base where the lamps is screwed against the dashboard lower edge.

View attachment 77097

Power cable is nowhere by.
Thats looks like the spot.That sucks there is'nt even the plug or wire.:mad:I suppose you still have the option you explained to me in the "A" pillar.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
405 Posts
Where did you purchase the kit?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where did you purchase the kit?

I did'nt go with the kit,just bought a roll of lights (5M/15',5050,purchased from a place here in CND,many other places worldwide) and soldered wires to them,ran all the wires to the plug.Wanted extra lights for future DIY of courtesy lights(josuet).Some kits have the cig plug which I personally don't like cause it does'nt look factory or clean.The hardwired ones are pretty much what I did except I don't want to deal with a remote and you could leave them on when you drive but why.Did'nt want different colours(just white).They operate just like the original footlight.On when I get in(really nice to see where you're getting in especially the back seats) and turn off when I drive away.All in all $50 cnd for lights with leftovers,already had wire and conectors.One tip,the adheasive on the back of the lights does'nt stick very well to alligator skin texture interior(fell down next day).Used hot glue which peals off clean if you make a mistake positioning.Leave a little slack in your rear wires for seat movement.Perfect flat edge on front wells and rear only choice was carpet thats wrapped under seat,don't see it anyway.Maybe a couple of hours time.Cut to length needed,solder wires +&-,position lights,run your wires,connect +&- wires and plug in.Lights only work when properly hooked up to plug(+&-),if not flip the wires.Easier than I thought.:)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
405 Posts
I did'nt go with the kit,just bought a roll of lights (5M/15',5050,purchased from a place here in CND,many other places worldwide) and soldered wires to them,ran all the wires to the plug.Wanted extra lights for future DIY of courtesy lights(josuet).Some kits have the cig plug which I personally don't like cause it does'nt look factory or clean.The hardwired ones are pretty much what I did except I don't want to deal with a remote and you could leave them on when you drive but why.Did'nt want different colours(just white).They operate just like the original footlight.On when I get in(really nice to see where you're getting in especially the back seats) and turn off when I drive away.All in all $50 cnd for lights with leftovers,already had wire and conectors.One tip,the adheasive on the back of the lights does'nt stick very well to alligator skin texture interior(fell down next day).Used hot glue which peals off clean if you make a mistake positioning.Leave a little slack in your rear wires for seat movement.Perfect flat edge on front wells and rear only choice was carpet thats wrapped under seat,don't see it anyway.Maybe a couple of hours time.Cut to length needed,solder wires +&-,position lights,run your wires,connect +&- wires and plug in.Lights only work when properly hooked up to plug(+&-),if not flip the wires.Easier than I thought.:)
Where in cnd I'm next door in Quebec

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Where in cnd I'm next door in Quebec

LED ROPE LIGHTS CANADA,you'll find all kinds and good prices,I think.I live closer but two days I received my package.No exchange rates to deal with or stuck at the border.:)I chose the white 12v SMD-5050 LED strip light 16.4' spool IP20 ($35),which is the non-waterproof.Spool IP65 is waterproof($50).I went with the non waterproof ,like josuet said unless your driving into a lake they'll be fine.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX AWD
1 Posts
You don't need to cut the clip. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze the two tabs together and the clip should release from the body of the car. I learned this after I cut mine. If you do cut the clip then the replacement part number is 85815-B1000 and the cost was $3.23.
OMG thank you for the part number for the tether clip! I've been looking through so many posts and lots of people mention in but no one gave the part number! I will try to not cut the clip but if I have to now I feel better knowing I can order another one!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts