Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To any of my Sorento friend,who may understand wiring.Trying to connect led footwell lighting to work with switches from dome light.(led interior lights).Where possibly could I connect my wires to to perform that when you turn the drivers side dome the footwell on that side lights accordingly,same for the passenger side.Possibe tip would be greatly appreciated.Including pics of the backside of the dome assembly. 20170124_181307.jpg

20170124_181807.jpg Could I possibly just tap into the wire that go to the lights?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento UM 2.2 CRDI SX
14 Posts
Consider tapping into the driver's footwell light circuit instead?

I'll leave it to the other, more knowledgeable people on the forum, to answer your original question, but given that I have also been researching this - have you considered tapping into the circuit for the driver's footwell light?

My Sorento UM SX came with a factory installed light for the driver's footwell, which is illuminated when the transmission is in "Park" (P) and interior lights come on. I am not sure if all models in all markets have this though, but even if your's doesn't, manufacturing simplicity would dictate that the wiring for that light would still be present, even if the light itself was omitted.

When I shift out of Park, the driver's footwell light fades out. It is not illuminated in Drive or any other mode of the transmission, but I believe that it gets illuminated even if I turn off the interior lights while in park.

I think that this is the perfect automated logic for footwell lighting, your views may vary.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll leave it to the other, more knowledgeable people on the forum, to answer your original question, but given that I have also been researching this - have you considered tapping into the circuit for the driver's footwell light?

My Sorento UM SX came with a factory installed light for the driver's footwell, which is illuminated when the transmission is in "Park" (P) and interior lights come on. I am not sure if all models in all markets have this though, but even if your's doesn't, manufacturing simplicity would dictate that the wiring for that light would still be present, even if the light itself was omitted.

When I shift out of Park, the driver's footwell light fades out. It is not illuminated in Drive or any other mode of the transmission, but I believe that it gets illuminated even if I turn off the interior lights while in park.

I think that this is the perfect automated logic for footwell lighting, your views may vary.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply turboc,I do have that light and only seems to work with tranny selections(park on/drive off)was looking for dome connection so even driving the driver or passenger could turn the dome light on which the corresponding footwell would also turn on.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
turning the dome light on when driving seems dangerous.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX
77 Posts
the light in the cabin will contract your pupils which will reduce your ability to see in the darker environment outside your car.
Additionally, it can create glare on your windshield further reducing your field of vision.
Both of which increase your chance of getting in an accident.

It the reason your instrument lights dim when you turn on the headlights.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Cheers!
Looks like I'll be leaning towars this option as it seems less intrusive,too many circuit boards in the dome for my liking.Hate to short it out with a wrong connection.Thanks the two cents tho.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,589 Posts
To any of my Sorento friend,who may understand wiring.Trying to connect led footwell lighting to work with switches from dome light.(led interior lights).Where possibly could I connect my wires to to perform that when you turn the drivers side dome the footwell on that side lights accordingly,same for the passenger side.Possibe tip would be greatly appreciated.Including pics of the backside of the dome assembly. View attachment 76754

View attachment 76762 Could I possibly just tap into the wire that go to the lights?
No need to tap in the dome itself. Please do this at your own risk (Disclaimer).

1)Remove weather strip and the A-pillar Trim Panel (Pillar on the driver side). Watch out for the tether clip that holds the panel. You need to cut that clip to be able to remove the trim completely. Do it gently, Airbag is near that area.

pilar.JPG

2) Run the footwell cables from underneath the dash board (Find your way around the fuse box) to the hole where wiring harness comes out from dashboard up to the roof (over the A-Pillar). MC2 connector is at the base of the A-pillar. For passerger side, bring those cable behind the center console and connect them in parallel with the driver side (you might need to remove the side center console panels).

Connector MC2.JPG

Center panel comes off by pulling it (use a trim removal tool or a flat screwdriver). If using a flat screwdrivers, wrap the tip with electrical tape no to bend the plastic when you pry with screwdriver.

center panel.JPG

3) There is a multi-pin connector (MC2 Connector), White/Orange (pin 1) is the positive 12V whereas Brown (Pin 35) is the Dome Light Output signal (Ground Signal). I'd suggest you to use wire-tap connectors not to splice OEM wires.

Pins.JPG

Once done, your footwell lights will turn on along with the dome lights when you open any door (except the tailgate) or when unlocking the car as long as Dome is set to "Door"

Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
2005 Chevy Equinox
141 Posts
Alternatively (but you may have already bought the lights?)

https://www.ledunderbody.com/

Has a set with a controller that you can use the "add-a-circuit" to tap into the fuse panel (well maybe) and then set the controller to auto-on/auto-off so that basically when you open the door, along with the dome lights going on, the footwell lights go on.

If that's what you wanted to do, that is.

·
Banned
2017 Sorento LX
131 Posts
1)Remove weather strip and the A-pillar Trim Panel (Pillar on the driver side). Watch out for the tether clip that holds the panel. You need to cut that clip to be able to remove the trim completely. Do it gently, Airbag is near that area.
You don't need to cut the clip. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze the two tabs together and the clip should release from the body of the car. I learned this after I cut mine. If you do cut the clip then the replacement part number is 85815-B1000 and the cost was $3.23.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No need to tap in the dome itself. Please do this at your own risk (Disclaimer).

View attachment 76777

2) Run the footwell cables from underneath the dash board (Find your way around the fuse box) to the hole where wiring harness comes out from dashboard up to the roof (over the A-Pillar). MC2 connector is at the base of the A-pillar. For passerger side, bring those cable behind the center console and connect them in parallel with the driver side (you might need to remove the side center console panels).

View attachment 76801

Center panel comes off by pulling it (use a trim removal tool or a flat screwdriver). If using a flat screwdrivers, wrap the tip with electrical tape no to bend the plastic when you pry with screwdriver.

View attachment 76809

3) There is a multi-pin connector (MC2 Connector), White/Orange (pin 1) is the positive 12V whereas Brown (Pin 35) is the Dome Light Output signal (Ground Signal). I'd suggest you to use wire-tap connectors not to splice OEM wires.

View attachment 76793

Once done, your footwell lights will turn on along with the dome lights when you open any door (except the tailgate) or when unlocking the car as long as Dome is set to "Door"

Enjoy. :)
Thanks josuet,Ireally appreciate the thorough explanation and diagrams,but ended up just pluging into that existing light in the drivers footwell.I'll keep your explanation on file for sure.Lights turn on when the door opens and fade out nicely when you close the door.I'll post pics when I get a chance,Thanks again

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,589 Posts
Thanks josuet,Ireally appreciate the thorough explanation and diagrams,but ended up just pluging into that existing light in the drivers footwell.I'll keep your explanation on file for sure.Lights turn on when the door opens and fade out nicely when you close the door.I'll post pics when I get a chance,Thanks again
Awesome! Looking forward to the DIY. :)

·
Registered
2016 Sorento 2.4L FWD
418 Posts
do you know the wattage/amperage you are going to consuming with the new lights you are installing? i would caution you with this project you are about to embark on. i know hyundai/kia's use 3 wires per dome light circuit 12+(fuse box) & 12+(button) & 12-(ground). i'd highly suggest installing diodes to possibly not back-feed anything into the bcm, and causing yourself a world of hurt.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you know the wattage/amperage you are going to consuming with the new lights you are installing? i would caution you with this project you are about to embark on. i know hyundai/kia's use 3 wires per dome light circuit 12+(fuse box) & 12+(button) & 12-(ground). i'd highly suggest installing diodes to possibly not back-feed anything into the bcm, and causing yourself a world of hurt.

Thank for the advice ImStricken06,I'm no electrician,but this is what I got.Total lights just under 25watts,amperage I figure 2A,and its only a two wire dome.Let me know if I should be concerned as I can always reduce the length of runs.Not on constantly,only when I get in and go off when I put it in drive.Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts