Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps... I know I'm not supposed to modify this car, but there are going to be a few things that I'll want to do to make it more comfortable/safe.

First on the list is getting the foglights to turn on without needing to have the headlights on - should also stay on while the highbeams are in use(possibly illegal depending on location). At least this is how it worked in my 03 ElantraGT.

I haven't gotten to signup to kiatechinfo yet, cause I'm on a Mac without bootcamp or vmware.

I saw only one mention of this on the forums from my searching... but no confirmation.
http://www.kia-forums.com/4g-2011-optima/75111-anyone-figure-out-how-get-fog.html

It should be as easy as cutting 1 wire, and possibly splicing it into another (can't remember exactly.. been a few years and will have to look for that as well).

Anyone know or done it yet?

2013 Rio5 EX

Sarge

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Fog lights should activate if you are running only the parking lights. Or whatever you call them in your part of the world. Side lights, marker lights, whatever. First click on the lights switch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately that's not the case in Canada, and I believe the US.
You have rear foglights too 'down-under' don't you?

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
why would you need to do that? Is there any reason why the fogs should be on?

Then, why do you think fogs should be on with high beams?

I guess you know what fogs lights are for, right? To help you see in the FOG. Right.

Any other use, not only illegal, is pointless.
If you need high beams that means you are driving too fast for fogs to help you as they light up very limited path, OR your low beams are crappy - check their aim.

Finally, except additional glare for others (and you), the fogs will create a false perception of being able to see more. Maybe more, but not farther. In the fact, you will see less far away, and might see more very up close. Up close matters only when you are driving less than 50 km/h.

In short - don't, just don't. Leave their functionality untouched.
You want DRL? You want cool look? Find another way.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I guess you know what fogs lights are for, right? To help you see in the FOG. Right.

Any other use, not only illegal, is pointless.
I'm not supporting changing the wiring of the fogs, but the above statements are not necessarily true.

At one time fogs were for fog. Fogs are now simply a lighting accessory. Fog lights used to be yellow because that color works better in the fog. Today's fogs are the same color as the main headlights. Properly installed and adjusted factory fogs simply do not blind oncoming drivers.

As for legality, check your local laws because driving with fogs in non-foggy weather is not universally illegal. Remember, this is a world-wide forum.

A larger problem than fogs is improperly installed or adjusted HID's. They are far more blinding than most fog lights.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
I'm not supporting changing the wiring of the fogs, but the above statements are not necessarily true.

At one time fogs were for fog. Fogs are now simply a lighting accessory. Fog lights used to be yellow because that color works better in the fog. Today's fogs are the same color as the main headlights. Properly installed and adjusted factory fogs simply do not blind oncoming drivers.
Kind of... you are missing a few points here though.
They are still fogs - they focus light on very short distance making the light intensity higher than from stronger (wattage) low beams.
As for being yellow - it was not just "yellow". It was a very special band of yellow, called selective yellow, that would cut off all blue bands making it easier to see in low visibility conditions.

And no, they are not same ad main headlights. If they were one could use them along with high beams.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sometimes in really FOGGY conditions, the highbeams are even aimed too high, and it's better to just drive with the foglights. You cannot do that with them setup like this. And yes - driving with just the foglights and DRL is not a good thing to do at high speeds as they do not give light at a distance. Also if it's really foggy you cannot see far to begin with.

I do a bunch of backroad/nighttime driving in windy, animal filled areas. Having the foglights on will assist in me not hitting anything that happens to be in the bushes along the side of the road and decides to jump in front of me. I have yet to drive these roads (just got it 2 days ago)to see the spread of light, but know my Elantra fogs helped with this. I also added HIDs to the non-HID lense which helped even more (I did add a light restrictor so people weren't being glared by the 'improper' HID light).

Maybe what I should do is get rally lights and mount them on the front of the car to suit my purpose, but why not use the lighting that's already built into the car to achieve a similar result.

Thanks for the discussion - it's great to have feedback.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
Kind of... you are missing a few points here though.
They are still fogs - they focus light on very short distance making the light intensity higher than from stronger (wattage) low beams.
As for being yellow - it was not just "yellow". It was a very special band of yellow, called selective yellow, that would cut off all blue bands making it easier to see in low visibility conditions.

And no, they are not same ad main headlights. If they were one could use them along with high beams.
What marleyfan is trying to say is that foglights these days are not foglights at all. They are purely driving lights to light up that extra bit of road that the main beam misses at the cutoff point due to the nature of the projector lamp. So it is indeed wrong to call these lights foglights at all and should instead be driving lights, or auxiliary lights.
Because these are the so called 'fogs' on mine, yes, I have swapped out the originals but only because these have a more crisp white beam, rather than that warm white. Still, can hardly tell the difference between the lot of them.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycu92bitc6hgf56/2013-05-11 16.22.30.jpg

These are true fogs..
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/5020/dscn22037lx.jpg

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Your fog lights are only good for illuminating what you are about to run over...
Can't argue with that logic.

Another expensive repair when you park by touch!

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
What marleyfan is trying to say is that foglights these days are not foglights at all. They are purely driving lights
Can't argue with that logic.

Another expensive repair when you park by touch!
I guess I need to learn something more about fog lights.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
I guess I need to learn something more about fog lights.
No need to get narky, geez.

What are you trying compare here is color, am I right?
That is nonsense. I am not going to explain it again, as the message simply does not reach your neurons.
I am indeed talking about colour, which you mentioned to be selective yellow.
Proper aiming, as well as housing type also play important roles too.

I have a distinct feeling that you're annoyed about shit like this
http://www.caradvice.com.au/thumb/640/321/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/fog_lights-006.jpg

Don't get me wrong, that really irks me too, but when the light intensity is vastly lower than the main beam, has the same colour as the main beam, it barely lights up anything above the equivalent height of a person's shin from 10 metres away and has no glare on a DRY road (different story for wet), I don't see the problem with using them?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow - this escalated quickly.
I'll agree that HID's in non-projector housings without (proper) glare shields are a P-I-T-A for other drivers, and people that think it's a good look/function should be slapped.

I didn't get a chance to check it out this weekend, likely will this week.
But reviewing kiatechinfo it should be as simple as looking at the connector to the left of the steering wheel (N/A vehicles), below the light stalk.
*** Disclaimer ***
I take no responsibility for anyone who attempts this, even after I check/verify it's validity. Please consult your local laws regarding foglight use while driving.
Ontario law is no more than 4 forward facing lights on at a time - so check your light output and be aware of which lights are on with each switch position.
*** Disclaimer ***
- Disconnect battery - or not if you like to gamble with electricity
- Take the red wire that runs in a loop from pin5 to pin8. (pin 1-10 are smaller wires, 13 total pins)
- Cut/remove/disconnect it from pin8 and connect pin5 to pin1 or another grounding point.
- This should allow for function of fog/driving/lower lights to be used independent of lowbeam/highbeam
- Should be required to have DRL's on before fog/driving/lower lights will function.
- Reconnect battery

Test and enjoy that little extra light, and control for actual foggy conditions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts