Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just picked up an 06 Sorento 4wd LX. New to this forum, and already have learned a lot without asking noob questions, ie clunking from poor lube on driveshaft, etc.

My car has fog lights clearly installed and I can even see there are bulbs in there. Assumed it was just finding the switch in the car, but after reading manual, I do NOT have the stalk with the fog light switch. Wierd, huh?

1. Did all Sorentos come like this? Why would Kia spend money to install these?
2. Is the only thing missing a switch, because if the relays and fuses are pre installed, I just need to find a way to find the wiring(?) to get to an aftermarket switch I can install on the center faceplate.

Anyone have the scoop on the Kia Sorento fog lights?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Ummm, Im in Aus, and here all sorentos had the fog lights from factory (may be different over there for the base spec models).

The switch for the fog lights in on the stalk that controls the normal head lights. Its not a different stalk. The switch for the fog lights is just further down the same stalk....
Check it out, and if you have troubles, i will try and take a photo.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
In the US my 03 LX did not come with the lights or the wireing. It did come with a stalk but the switch is a fake and does not turn. If you do some searching on your vehicle and see if the wire is also down there then you may only need to purchase the right stalk. This is also assuming that you are not mis-understanding the function of the stalk. Somewhere on this forum or the other one I joined you can get the parts pretty inexpensively and install them yourself.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
If you have the lights, but not the factory switch then I have to guess the lights were installed by a previous owner. Now you have to think slightly outside the box! How were they wired up. Check under the bumper - are they connected or simply put there for show. If connected are they using factory wiring ... I suspect that would be easy to spot by the wire size (thin!) and the connectors (or splice and tape!!!).

Were they wired up to run in another function ie as DRL's or as driving lights with high beam. Have you checked this sort of thing? Or is there already a switch installed that you just have not found? Possibly, is there a fuse/relay that has been removed because the installation (such as above) did not meet local regulation?

etc, etc ......

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Also taking note that the factory fog lamps will only turn on when the headlights are on, but not with just the parking lights, and will turn off if the high beams are turned on.

The switch for the fog lamps will be a ring just inside the part that turns to turn the headlights on.

If that is turned to the "on" position, than you may simply have burned out bulbs. A lot of people will leave them on, and not ever think about changing them, or even notice when they burn out.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
here in aus, you can have the fog lights on with just the parking lights on.
And they will stay on if the high beams are on...

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
here in aus, you can have the fog lights on with just the parking lights on.
And they will stay on if the high beams are on...
That's good to know, but it doesn't help our friend here in Minnesota, USA.

USA has laws about how many lights can be on at one time (4), and driving (fog) lights cannot be on at the same time as high beams.
The US Sorento is wired to have headlights+fog, or headlights+highbeam
Although I wish I could have parking lights and driving lights on at the same time w/out the headlights.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Some 03's did not come wired for lights but do have the relay in the fuse box.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
USA has laws about how many lights can be on at one time (4), and driving (fog) lights cannot be on at the same time as high beams.
That may all be true, but since when have USA laws stopped the determined modder (or any one else that has chosen to ignore them) :eek:

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
That may all be true, but since when have USA laws stopped the determined modder (or any one else that has chosen to ignore them) :eek:
They are stopped as soon a a determined LEO decides to enforce them. When a person outright ignores the law they will catch them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm completely sure the stalk on my vehicle does NOT have the added switch for the fog lights, and I've searched and can't find an aftermarket switch anywhere. I'll do the obvious (now) and get under the bumper and see if there are any wires coming out from behind the housings.

The reson for the post was merely to find out if the factory US spec LX model came with the fog lights pre installed or not, that's it. I'll open the fuse boxes and see if the relays etc exist. Then I'll decide on how much effort it will take to make them live again!

I've done aftermarket installs of lights before, so not a real big deal at all. Was just hoping all the guts were there, so merely adding the switch was all I needed.

So......to the original question: do factory LX models have the lights preinstalled?
Many thanks !!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2008 was pre wired. the relay and every thing was there, but it had no lights or the correct turning signal stalk. I bought the factory lights and correct stalk. If you have the lights check to see if the relay is there you may only need to buy the stalk.

Part#: 934103E010

KiaParts.com :: Original parts for your Kia

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
So......to the original question: do factory LX models have the lights preinstalled?
Many thanks !!
Yes, and No. The LX model they were an option on the base LX, standard for the LX Sport package (amplifier under driver seat, leather wrapped steering wheel/shifter).

The EX model was the LX Sport and a few features that were not available on the LX (heated seats for example).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 2008 was pre wired. the relay and every thing was there, but it had no lights or the correct turning signal stalk. I bought the factory lights and correct stalk. If you have the lights check to see if the relay is there you may only need to buy the stalk.

Part#: 934103E010

KiaParts.com :: Original parts for your Kia
Thanks. It's all there! So how hard is it to remove and replace the stalk, and is there anything else I need, or does the new stalk just plug and play? So close!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks. It's all there! So how hard is it to remove and replace the stalk, and is there anything else I need, or does the new stalk just plug and play? So close!
The stalk is plug and play and easy to install. I think I read some where that some vehicle were wired to the relay but not up to the steering wheel, but for 20$ its worth the try

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
If I recall correctly, you take the steering wheel shaft cover off, and it's a screw or two to remove the stalk assembly. The wires are just a regular plug like everything else in the dash.

Hmmm... Makes me wonder if the original stalk failed and was replaced with the slightly cheaper non-fog lamp one at some point :-?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts