Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have found that the fog lights will only come on if the head lights are not. They won't come on if the running light are on. This is kind of frustrating as we love to go camping at arrive late at campsites sometimes--it would be nice to use the fog lights to drive around the campsites instaed of blinding other campers with the full head lights.

Anyone know how to rewire?

-e

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't offer you any wiring diagrams but I've done this on other cars.

What you want is a full time +12 source on the fog lamp relay, and a full time ground. Most cars use one of those wires (+12 or ground) on the fog lamp relay and connect them to the regular light switch. That means that the fog lamp relay will only get power or ground (need both to complete the circuit) when the lights get power or ground.

First, find your fog light relay. Turn the lights on and switch the fogs on and off. You can hear and feel a click when this happens.

Second, turn off the fogs. Use a multimeter to find out which wire is hot, which is ground, and which go to the lights. The hot will be ~12V when the lights are on (whether the fogs are on or not). The positive to the fogs is only on when the fogs are on. The ground to the fogs will probably always be grounded. The relay ground could be always grounded or will be grounded when the normal lights are on.

Third, when you know which wires are which, figure out how you want the fogs to operate. Some people wire the relay +12 to the accessory wire in the ignition harness (blue). This means that the fogs will work any time the key is in the acc or ign position, regardless of when the main lights are on. I like using them all the time, so I put a constant +12V on the relay from the ignition column. I believe the pink and white wires are both constant +12V

Fourth, test. Since no one has posted a wiring diagram yet you have to guess and test for each wire. Make sure you post your results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have found that the fog lights will only come on if the head lights are not. They won't come on if the running light are on. This is kind of frustrating as we love to go camping at arrive late at campsites sometimes--it would be nice to use the fog lights to drive around the campsites instaed of blinding other campers with the full head lights.

Anyone know how to rewire?

-e
Hi out there in Kia land. I just purchased a pre-owned 2009 Kia Sportage LE here in Toronto, Canada as a second car. Our first vehicle is a 2007 Hyundia Santa Fe. My wife and I love the Santa Fe and decided to go for the smaller Sportage to replace our twenty year old Toyota Corolla as our second means of transportation. Have had it for about three weeks now and love it also.
My Santa Fe had the same unique feature concerning its fog lights; they only went on with the regular, low beam headlights. This annoyed me to no end. I was able to go on to a Santa Fe (Hyundia) blog and found out how to make that mod for my Santa Fe. A very simple mod to do once you knew which wires to cut/splice.
With that knowledge in hand I decided to find out how to do the same fog light mod with my Sportage.
It is all done with the electrical linkage on the left hand side of the steering wheel which is connected to the light/turn signal arm.
First you will need to take off the lower plastic panel located under the steering wheel. There are three screws holding the panel which must first be removed using a Phillips screw driver. The panel is also held in by five clips. Once the three screws are removed just pull the panel straight out on a level plane towards the driver’s seat as you wiggle it to help dislodge the clips. The clips will eventually give way and the panel will come out. You will then need to remove the bottom half of the plastic cover that surrounds the steering wheel column. Again it is held on by three Phillips screws that first have to be removed. Then with a little wiggle in a downward motion the cover will dislodge and come off. You will now see the multi-light switch wiring on the left side of the steering column, just underneath the turn signal arm.
There are a lot of different coloured wires going into the connector but you only need to concern yourself with the blue wires (they are blue for the wiring here in Canada; I can’t vouch for the fact that the wiring layout would be the same for all Sportages across the globe). As you examine the wiring you will notice that there is a strand of blue wire that is looped and is connected on both ends to two other separate blue wires where they are attached to the plastic terminal. That ‘looped’ blue wire is the wire that we are going to modify for out fog light mod. That looped wire causes the fog light circuit to ground out only when the headlights are on. Thus, it needs to be cut and grounded separately.
(I am guessing that in countries that allow independent functioning fog lights that loop of wire won’t be there.)
You simply cut the blue looped wire in half. Then strip both ends in order to expose about a centimetre of bare wire. Now one at a time ground each half of the cut wire in order to find out which end is the ‘fog light’ end. Turn on the ignition when each wire is temporarily grounded (I used a piece of wire with alligator clips on each end to do this grounding). If the headlights go on then you have the wrong strand of wire. That piece should be wrapped with electrical tape so that it does not accidently ground itself once you put everything back together. If it does ground by mistake then your headlights will be on all the time. When you ground the other strand of blue wire the fog lights will come on when the fog light switch is turned on and will work independently of any other lights. The power is on only when the ignition is on so even if you forget to turn off your fog lights they will go off when you shut off the ignition. The fog light warning light on the dash will also work properly. To solidify your mod just ground your ‘fog light’ blue wire by soldering on a piece of extension wire and permanently grounding it to a suitable ground screw (there are many to choose from down by the steering column). You could also ground it by splicing it to one of the black ground wires found in the wire cluster of the multi-light switch. Then put back the steering column cover and the lower panel that were originally removed. You are done.
The whole procedure should take about 45 minutes and has a level of difficulty of about 4 out of 10. Enjoy your new independent working fog lights.

I have included pictures to help you with this modification.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts