Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Kia keys (same as Hyundai i20 I notice) has started to stick and feel rough when opening / closing. This was on the day I helped soembody take loads of garden waste to the recycling centre, so I suspect grit / grot / dust in the mechanism to be the cause.
Has anybody managed to disassemble and reassemble one of these keys? I'm reluctant to start poking around with a screwdriver so I'd appreciate any advice on this.
Incidentally, when offered a Kia hire car last year at Munich airport (by a very apologetic Avis worker, the Kia being seen as a low budget, non-German and therefore rubbish brand) the key she was holding had suffered a failure of the spring mechanism, so I suspect it's a common problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually use electrical cleaner.....just give it a quick squirt.
Failing that WD40 is as good as anything.

Chris
Cheers Chris - I suspect that's all the main dealer would do, judging by my boot catch and door lock, so I might as well have a bash at that rather than take the car all the way up there. (Not that there's anything wrong with the simple, quick & easy fix!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Failing that WD40 is as good as anything.

Chris
NOJust let it dry out and flip the key a couple of times with the 'hinge' facing down.
Never use any 'oily' anti corrosion product like WD40. This will collect all the dust from your pocket in your key hinge and this will make things only worse.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NOJust let it dry out and flip the key a couple of times with the 'hinge' facing down.
Never use any 'oily' anti corrosion product like WD40. This will collect all the dust from your pocket in your key hinge and this will make things only worse.
What I really want to do is open it up, clean it, and reassemble it, dry.
While I accept that WD40 might remain in the workings, attracting dust, electrical contact cleaner probably evaporates, leaving the workings clean and dry. Perhaps contact cleaner can be used to "flush out" the muck?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is really no reason to open it. I am an arborist using a flip key for 13 years now (Volkswagen and Kia). I had my keys sort of stuck many times with sand and sawdust. Just let it dry out and fiddle the mechanism. There is nothing wrong IN your key, there is just some debris in the mechanism that will fall out juggling it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree with not using a WD40 type lubricant, it is parrafin based and leaves an oily residue which dust will stick to and eventually gunge up the hinge.

·
Registered
138 Posts
WHOA!

Hang on a minute.
I wasn't suggesting you douse the thing.
Contact cleaner is ideal but sometimes a bit of lubrication doesn't go amiss.
I've never had a problem with detritus sticking to anything lubricated with WD unless the key resides in the bottom of a handbag in which case everything gets covered in fluff including chewing gum.

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
WHOA!

Hang on a minute.
I wasn't suggesting you douse the thing.

Chris
:D I wasn't suggesting you where suggesting to douse the thing. ;)

My big red "no" was just to prevent ED209 using the WD.
I have sprayed cans full of that stuff on my Minis and Mokes electrical contacts but you just shouldn't use it on flipping keys.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Was tempted to say" what do you think it is ...RED NO DAY?"
but I won't.
or:

Yellow card for excessive use of the red no.

I'm here all week

Chris

·
Registered
560 Posts
For the likes of Dust / Corn flakes that have ended up within the key, then air duster will be best, however, if your looking to clean something more "sticky" (maybe melted chocolate for example) I suggest a tootpick and a baby wipe! its small so gets into places, and containts mild enough cleansing agents to remove the cack without any damage.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the likes of Dust / Corn flakes that have ended up within the key, then air duster will be best, however, if your looking to clean something more "sticky" (maybe melted chocolate for example) I suggest a tootpick and a baby wipe! its small so gets into places, and containts mild enough cleansing agents to remove the cack without any damage.
Yeah - I didn't discover baby wipes until we had children but now I don't know how I managed without them. I still find it incredible that they shift ANYTHING but are still safe for use on children. Good call.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found that mine was sticking because a little roll pin had started to work its way out and was dragging.
Open key half way and you will see it. Pushed it back in and all is good.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The most-used key for our Soul had this happen - the pin actually wore down to where it wouldn't stay in place.

Not sure if the US Soul key is exactly the same, but it was close enough to other flip keys I've messed with. Easy to pop open - just look out for the spring clip thingy = and I used a piece of a finish nail, cut and edges cleaned up, that was a good fit, which I then flattened ever so slightly (hammer on an anvil) so it was a tight fit, and added a drop of superglue. I don't remember exactly when I "fixed" it, but I know it's been more years since I did than it had been from new when I had to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
eflyguy
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing