Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my ongoing alternator problem not being fixed until the 20th of this month I was wondering the following.

Fortunately I have a second car and on the 2 occassions the Sedona has let me down (failed to start) with a low battery (to many short journeys) I have been able to jump start it.

My driveway gently slopes back onto the street so I am able to roll the car backwards onto the road. The road then slopes enough for me to roll the car to a speed to bump start it. I know its possible as I have done it with my second car.

My question is - Is it possible and more so safe to bump start a manual diesel Sedona?

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
AS long as it's a manual Sedona you should be ok, will take an awful lot of pushing though, it being over two tons and a high compression diesel engine you have to try and turn over too. Luckily its a direct injection if it were indirect like the old Peugeots no way on earth would they start with a bump (we used to warm them up with a hair dryer first)

Why not experiment while you have a fully charged battery?

·
Registered
66 Posts
See if you can get one of those mains trickle chargers that go through your cigar lighter and leave it plugged on the driveway ?

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK time to admit it.. I know it will but am I doing any damage?

Thanks for the advise on the battery charger, its plugged in now.. Why did I not think of that earlier. Must remember to tell the missus to unplug it in the morning before she tries to drive off...

Simon

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazing :haha:

How difficult it is to jump start. You need one h£ll of a big battery (110amph or bigger) and some substancial jump leads for it to have enough power to reach the starter to rotate the engine to the required revs for it to fire up....

Bump start in reverse, slight gradient in less than 10 yards. Much easier. :grin:

Hopefully no more. See my post on the 10000 mile service and alternator problem

Simon

PS Cant believe the thought police have sensored the opposite of heaven :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts