Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a 2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 diesel SX which has been quite good.
:)
It's survived a tree falling on it and when a Ford Fiesta drove into the back, the Fiesta was a write-off and the Sedona had a nasty scratch on the rear bumper.
:D
Today my wife phones me at work and says that the car won't start; it's got a flat battery of the nature that the lights all appear to work but the starter motor just goes 'uugh'.
:(
The Sedona still has its original battery and I was wondering if battery failure is common on these vehicles.
;)

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by KDean@Dec 21 2004, 07:22 AM
We own a 2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 diesel SX which has been quite good.
:)
It's survived a tree falling on it and when a Ford Fiesta drove into the back, the Fiesta was a write-off and the Sedona had a nasty scratch on the rear bumper.
:D
Today my wife phones me at work and says that the car won't start; it's got a flat battery of the nature that the lights all appear to work but the starter motor just goes 'uugh'.
:(
The Sedona still has its original battery and I was wondering if battery failure is common on these vehicles.
;)

well there are a lot of factors that could lead to dead battery. cold weather. left acceseries on ect. shouldnt be to often you have to replace them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its very typical for the factory battery to last any where from about 30 to 40 months regardless who the manufacter is. So I'd say your battery lasted quite well. :D

Allen

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got my original battery replaced at 70,000 miles for my Kia Sedona 2002 EX.

I should have been able to keep my original battery by using "two stage battery charger" I got to charge it up since last time I forgot to turn off headlight (too bad I was in Van with key in while talking over cell) and needed a jump start.

Once a battery need a jump start, it needs to be "charged up" with external battery charger (very cheap, everyone should get one!) Why? Alternator is not designed to charge up your battery from "near empty", it may take 120 minutes of highway run (without headlight on) to charge.

An new style auto charger is even better, like cell phone charger that you can leave it overnight to charge up your battery.

If I had done that, I would not have to replace one while my van died on Philly while alternator not working properly at extremely high temperature while driving slowly (got in downtown afterwork traffic) and A/C on with overheated battery.

Most people would tell you battery will die in a few years, so yours at 4 years is normal. However, that refer to that one does NOT maintain the battery.

If you maintain your battery every 3 months, it should last for much longer. The first step would be get an auto charger with float option, and every 3 to 6 months, charge your battery overnight just like charging your cell phone. Think about it, you charge your cell phone battery every night, why not charge your auto battery once every 3 to 6 months?

Some Li battery are better charge after drained, but auto battery is better to "keep it full" all the time, and that's why you got "float charger" to apply very small current to charge the battery at last stage.

For my 12V 6amp 2-stage charger, should it be used to charge "dead battery", it would start at "bulk stage" at 6amp, then it will take hours to reach "absorption stage" and the current meter will show the current goes down from 5amp to 4amp to eventually 3amp, and that's the time to disconnect.

But if my 2-stage charger (I got dozen years ago) were a new style "auto float charger" with "float mode", then at that time, it would switch to float stage of battery charge, and apply 1amp or even smaller current to keep the auto battery closing to full.

In your case, your wife's car should also equip a "portable charger or jump starter", I got it $53. Then, she could jump start by herself should battery die for any reason (people did forgot to turn off lights), in addition to "batter charger", and once got home, remember to charge the auto battery up once jump started. The "portable charger" I got include a "tire inflator", so that is even more handy (I used to have an electric tire inflator), after all, dead battery and flat tire are top roadside service call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts