Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA Rio EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flash drive that I leave installed and just shut off the car, but for some reason on occasions when I restart the car it reloads all the tracks. Does anyone know why? Would it be better if I shut the UVO off before shutting the car off? Or maybe switch to Sirius satellite or something else first? Thanks

2013 Rio

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. My flash drive will quit randomly and the UVO will suddenly switch to the radio. It happens mid-song, sometimes soon after starting the car, sometimes after half an hour, sometimes not for several days. When I mentioned it to the dealer they blamed the flash drive. Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
I have UVO in a Soul, and I leave a USB flash drive in the slot all the time, I try to remember to turn off the unit before turning off the engine as it does say in the manual that this could cause a problem to your flash drive, but sometimes I forget but still have not had any problem.
When I start up the engine and its on or I turn the unit on and select it, it just continues from where I left off.
It only reloads the tracks when you remove it and reinstall.
I know from other problems I've read on various forums that there is less problems with well know brands, than some of these generic types. The brand I'm using is Lexar and its a 8 gb micro-flash drive also used a large 16 gb Kingston with no problem.

More than likely its usually the particular flash-drive, try another one or perhaps its comes loose in the slot. You can also reset the UVO system if you have problems that sometimes can correct it.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
I have a flash drive that I leave installed and just shut off the car, but for some reason on occasions when I restart the car it reloads all the tracks. Does anyone know why? Would it be better if I shut the UVO off before shutting the car off? Or maybe switch to Sirius satellite or something else first? Thanks

2013 Rio
Without a doubt our UVO units are sensitive to Flash Drive configurations. I am now using an Imation 64GB Swivel Flash Drive with absolutely no errors or resets. You can put a LOT of songs on this baby and seek time is lightening fast :)

I had initial problems with some Kingston and SanDisk models, but all 3 of my Imation Thumb Drives work perfectly. USB is The Cat's A$$ in car electronics; right up there with streaming Pandora through Bluetooth. I really love the head unit on this car :D

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
405 Posts
the manual says to not leave usb drives plugged in when starting the car, maybe something about power surge can damage the drive? i don't bother with that and haven't noticed any problems. my 64 gig drive was hit and miss if it would work at all or not, but 16 is fine. i think it had to do with the drive format of exfat vs fat32.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
the manual says to not leave usb drives plugged in when starting the car, maybe something about power surge can damage the drive? i don't bother with that and haven't noticed any problems. my 64 gig drive was hit and miss if it would work at all or not, but 16 is fine. i think it had to do with the drive format of exfat vs fat32.
Yup

My Imation Flash Drives are all FAT32 - no issues

I did see where the manual says to remove the Flash Drive at startup - but I don't buy it as this would be a total Pain In The A$$, with even more chance of damage to the Flash Drive. It is interesting to note how the Flash Drive responds when you open or close the drivers side door - every so often the UVO system will actually read the drive when the car is shut off and the door is open!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts