Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I decide I'm going to wash my Sorento. Get out the hose and start cleaning off the wheels and notice something doesn't look right. I get closer and notice that on the inside of 3 spokes the "chrome" is flaking off. I couldn't believe it. So I go check my other wheels and sure enough 2 of them have spots that are flaking off as well. I've never seen this happen before and it's very frustrating since I know it's something I cannot fix myself and looks ugly as hell.

I contacted my dealer and I'm hoping that maybe, some how they can fix it or get it covered under a defect warranty or something.

Anybody else seen this problem on their wheels?

I'm really starting to regret purchasing this Sorento. I've had it Since February and I've already had:
New Transmission
New Hatch Struts
and now (3) Flaking Rims

·
Registered
237 Posts
reason why i don't like chromed wheels

my SX came with them as well, so after a few more month i might star seeing the same problem :(

i'm planning to only use these stock rims for Winter tires

·
Registered
116 Posts
Out of curiosity did you ever use any cleaning product before, perhaps something that contained anything ugly or acidic? other than just soap and water.
I believe the rims are coated with some kind of transparent resin.
Or clean with anything abrasive.
My goal is to perhaps identify something the rest of us to stay clear of.

·
Registered
237 Posts
it's either caused by stone chips while on the road, or some abrasive cleaning product

i know my last car got damaged that way by stone chips, which then gave way to rust and destroyed the wheel well area where the little pebbles and dirt always hit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I did not use anything harsh on them. I read the owners manual before I washed the car for the first time and every product I used on it was OK with the manual. I bought it used so I cannot speak for the previous owner but I didn't notice the flaking when I bought it. I would assume if they used a bad wheel cleaner the issues would have been there when I first bought it.

I don't think it's from stone chips either, the location of the flaking is on the inside of the wheel spokes not the face of them. It would be almost impossible for anything to hit it in there with the wheels moving.

I talked to my Sales Rep about it before I talked to Service and she said I'm not the first person to mention that to her about the rims. She said I should definitely contact Service about it which I am. I guess it could be possible that they had a bad production of the wheels, I'm hoping maybe they'll repair or replace them maybe.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Most likely a manufacturing defect. S _ _ t happens.

All will be hell if they replace it under warranty. This should not happen.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
To fix it I think you'd have to wet sand them down, polish them, then apply some kind of clear coat. Its one thing to do that for a small scratch or scrape, but for the whole wheel would be a HUGE hassle. I've been looking to replace my wheels. I really would prefer to go to 17's. I hate 18" wheels. Crappy tire selection and crappy prices for the tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to me as well, but the funny thing is that the car before that which was not a Kia did the same thing. Both cars were brought new. The common thing was that I was using that GREEN stuff to clean my wheels. I had my Kia wheels re dipped in real chrome at the dealers cost. Was covered under 36,000 warranty, but it helped that I religiously had my sorento serviced at dealer just for cases as this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This happened to me as well, but the funny thing is that the car before that which was not a Kia did the same thing. Both cars were brought new. The common thing was that I was using that GREEN stuff to clean my wheels. I had my Kia wheels re dipped in real chrome at the dealers cost. Was covered under 36,000 warranty, but it helped that I religiously had my sorento serviced at dealer just for cases as this.
Thanks for the info, hopefully my dealer will cover it as well. Because they are "Chrome" I never use anything but soap & water to clean them. Although some products say they are "safe" on chrome I never trust them. Just annoying that after having the SUV for 5 months I gotta deal with this

I spoke with KIA Support and my Dealer and they are going to look at the wheels next week. They both said if it's a Manufacturer Defect the wheels would be replaced under my warranty. I'm hoping that is what they determine considering the location of the flaking and how bad they are peeling.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Are you talking about SIMPLE GREEN? I have been using that (full strength) to clean my rims for maybe the last 10 years. No problems whatsoever. My usual routine:

spray full strength onto rim/tire
use a sponge or wash cloth to wash the rim
use soft nylon brush to wash the tire
rinse with hose

I make sure the SG isn't on there for more than a couple of minutes. It also works wonders on gently degreasing engines.

Best,

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes I am talking about simple green, but you are doing it the right way not letting the SG stay on for more then a couple of minutes, I was not doing that. I would go aroung the car and put SG on all four wheels and clean & scrub all four wheels before I rinsed them off. The guy who redipped my wheels told me that I was supposed clean and rinse one wheel at a time. Now I just use soap and water, or maybe a little cheap glass cleaner, but I rinse it right off, one wheel at a time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Took the Sorrento to the dealer last week and they agreed that the wheels should not be flaking so they ordered me new ones. This week the wheels came in and they were replaced :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just noticed our 2011 EX chrome peeling, starts from the inside (backside) of the rim almost looks like the laminating is coming loose. Will take it to the dealer and let them make the call.

·
Registered
573 Posts
And i thought it was normal for chrome rims to flake! Good thing i've seen this thread.
Called Kia rep just now and told me to stop by so they can take a picture of my chrome rims that's flaking and send it to Kia Canada to have it warrantied.

Will post for updates in a few day's time.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just a note that items that are chromed are not dipped into the chrome. The chrome is electroplated on to them.
Chrome plating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well--they are submerged into a vat of chromium chloride or chromium sulfate for the electroplating process.

If the warranty does not cover replacement wheels, there are wheel repair shops and wheel rechroming shops that can re-plate them at much less cost than factory replacements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dealer keeps blowing me off with " I'll take pictures and send them in" Started this complaining in Oct 2012 (31,000 miles) and been back three times with no results on replacement from the headquarters. I not have 40,000 miles and going in tomorrow for the brake light switch recal and bust their asses again. Mine is a 2011 SX and driven in winter "salt" only about 3-4 months. Some really cheap chrome rims on the SX it seems.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My dealer keeps blowing me off with " I'll take pictures and send them in" Started this complaining in Oct 2012 (31,000 miles) and been back three times with no results on replacement from the headquarters. I not have 40,000 miles and going in tomorrow for the brake light switch recal and bust their asses again. Mine is a 2011 SX and driven in winter "salt" only about 3-4 months. Some really cheap chrome rims on the SX it seems.
They actually pulled this on me when I claimed warranty for my chrome wheel that they damaged when they repaired my flat tire. Took them 3 months or so to get a replacement.

Haven't been to the dealership coz as I inspect the chrome flaking, it's actually starting from the edge where the wheel meets the rubber. IINM, this could be a result from swapping the wheels from winter to all-season tires.

I could go and try to persuade them that its the salt or poor workmanship that causing it, but maybe when I do my next oil change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts