Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX+ V6 2018
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. for those of you that do your own oil changes...do you remove the under body protection each time? Or do you proceed some other way, with an oil pump through the top for example? Or a drain valve with a tube perhaps?

I did my first oil change on the Sorento yesterday and i had 2 surprise for me. For one, the filter, is actually just that, a filter with no casing and is changed from the top...(i liked that! no mess!) and i had to remove the whole darn motor "under body" protection to get to the drain plug since i had no idea where to find it at first...

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Steph

·
Registered
2018 Sorento
63 Posts
Hi guys. for those of you that do your own oil changes...do you remove the under body protection each time? Or do you proceed some other way, with an oil pump through the top for example? Or a drain valve with a tube perhaps?

I did my first oil change on the Sorento yesterday and i had 2 surprise for me. For one, the filter, is actually just that, a filter with no casing and is changed from the top...(i liked that! no mess!) and i had to remove the whole darn motor "under body" protection to get to the drain plug since i had no idea where to find it at first...

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Steph
I just go to the dealer for oil changes since it isn't too pricey. But I would do exactly as you've done with removing the under tray. I do my own oil changes on my 370z and it's got a undertaking that needs to be removed.

Qq regarding the oil filter, I'm assuming you remove it after draining the oil? Didn't have any drip and make a small mess?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,106 Posts
This:

The drain plug has never been touched on my 2015.

I bought mine used about 10 years ago, from a friend locally. At the time, there were expensive and not all that common. Now they're cheap and plentiful. I even thought about getting a bigger one, because mine only holds 4l, so I have to empty some out to change the oil in most of my vehicles.

I'm now starting to see electric pumps appear, which - if they actually work - would be even better as I could just pump directly into the recycling container that I use..

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX+ V6 2018
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just go to the dealer for oil changes since it isn't too pricey. But I would do exactly as you've done with removing the under tray. I do my own oil changes on my 370z and it's got a undertaking that needs to be removed.

Qq regarding the oil filter, I'm assuming you remove it after draining the oil? Didn't have any drip and make a small mess?

No mess if careful. Removing the filter straight up slowly made sure that any drips would fall back into the opening. Wrapped it in paper towels and into a disposable bag. Yes, drained then pulled the filter.

Cost me about 45$ (Canadian) for the oil (on sale) and filter...wonder how much the dealer charges? I had a few "Free" oil changes in my deal when i purchased the car. But waiting 2 hours to get an oil changed, plus the drive to and from the dealer (30km each way) is pretty annoying when it took me about 20mins back home.

Steph

·
Registered
2018 Sorento
63 Posts
Ah ok nice.

I'm in Canada as well (Mississauga) and oil change (service 1) is $49.99. My wife goes to the dealer on her way to work so it isn't too bad in terms of inconvenience, gas, time, etc.
No mess if careful. Removing the filter straight up slowly made sure that any drips would fall back into the opening. Wrapped it in paper towels and into a disposable bag. Yes, drained then pulled the filter.

Cost me about 45$ (Canadian) for the oil (on sale) and filter...wonder how much the dealer charges? I had a few "Free" oil changes in my deal when i purchased the car. But waiting 2 hours to get an oil changed, plus the drive to and from the dealer (30km each way) is pretty annoying when it took me about 20mins back home.

Steph

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
462 Posts
I'm in Canada as well (Mississauga) and oil change (service 1) is $49.99.
Given prices listed here, I am assuming that you are getting the conventional (dino) oil for $49.99 at dealer while Stephan26 is using synthetic for his change.
Depending on sale prices/rebates, my synthetic oil with OE filter change costs $35 - $45.
Pennzoil has a mail in rebate in place of $10 for a 5 liter jug. They are fairly quick sending back the refund, mine was about 5 weeks last year.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_E5RNE9jvaD105RnyguXNfnBhlhpOxoxiaZ46J1ZpWj_mYaK9SUvBGhoCaxMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#iframe=L3NvcHVzL3Blbm56b2lsLzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fY2E=

This is what I use to extract oil from the dipstick tube. I get a bit more out than what is in the refill specs.
Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator, Brake System Bleeding Tools - Amazon Canada

·
Registered
2018 Sorento
63 Posts
Correct, Dino oil, which is fine as I'm doing the 6k km oil change intervals, which is about every 3 months. Kia Canada (or at least not anywhere I've asked or read, including two dealers) doesn't have a different oci for synthetic, so while I'm under warranty, I plan to stick with this schedule.
Given prices listed here, I am assuming that you are getting the conventional (dino) oil for $49.99 at dealer while Stephan26 is using synthetic for his change.
Depending on sale prices/rebates, my synthetic oil with OE filter change costs $35 - $45.
Pennzoil has a mail in rebate in place of $10 for a 5 liter jug. They are fairly quick sending back the refund, mine was about 5 weeks last year.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_E5RNE9jvaD105RnyguXNfnBhlhpOxoxiaZ46J1ZpWj_mYaK9SUvBGhoCaxMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#iframe=L3NvcHVzL3Blbm56b2lsLzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fY2E=

This is what I use to extract oil from the dipstick tube. I get a bit more out than what is in the refill specs.
Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator, Brake System Bleeding Tools - Amazon Canada

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
452 Posts
I'll second the extractor method for the V6 motor since the filter is so easy to reach from up top. I've used an extractor for years now, every once in a while will pull the drain plug after extraction just to see how much got left behind. Usually a couple of ounces is it. I'll probably let the dealer do the first and then every third oil change after that. I've always thought it a good idea to have some service history with a dealer in case of a warranty problem. I keep all my receipts for oil and OEM filters and log everything but still like the dealers name popping up occasionally.

·
Registered
Sorento 2018
6 Posts
Draining from the bottom you can get out some bits that are too big for the oil screen and settle to the bottom of the pan.

I have the dealer do all oil changes in case there is a problem while under warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
462 Posts
I keep all my receipts for oil and OEM filters and log everything but still like the dealers name popping up occasionally.
I buy my oil filters from the dealer, keep the oil receipts and change logs. Dealer has the record that way.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
452 Posts
For anyone who does their own changes and does it from the top with an extractor, make absolutely sure to do at least one (preferably the first) from underneath. The factory drain plug gasket is painted black, replacements are aluminum. A warranty claim with a black gasket still in place could lead to a lot of finger pointing.

·
Registered
462 Posts
For anyone who does their own changes and does it from the top with an extractor, make absolutely sure to do at least one (preferably the first) from underneath. The factory drain plug gasket is painted black, replacements are aluminum. A warranty claim with a black gasket still in place could lead to a lot of finger pointing.
Agreed, did one under the Sorento just to get the OE washer off the drain plug. Good point.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
534 Posts
For me, it's just as fast to drive it up on ramps, remove the bottom cover (with a drill & socket bit) and drain it, as opposed to using a fluid extractor. And you know for sure that you're getting all the old oil out. And you're replacing the gasket each time. It's designed to be drained, so that's what I do.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
792 Posts
For me, it's just as fast to drive it up on ramps, remove the bottom cover (with a drill & socket bit) and drain it, as opposed to using a fluid extractor. And you know for sure that you're getting all the old oil out. And you're replacing the gasket each time. It's designed to be drained, so that's what I do.
And you get to have a look at what's going on down there with regard to CV boots, seals etc. rather than getting caught unawares.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX V6, 2016 Forte LX+
33 Posts
I used to do the oil change myself... now a days I take it to the dealer, is more convenient, I don't have to worry about discarding the oil after all.. the dealer provides a shuttle bus to work and pick up when the vehicle is ready. I work in Mississauga , Ontario , Canada

On my 2016 Forte I had to take the undercover to access the plug and filter.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I used to do the oil change myself... now a days I take it to the dealer, is more convenient, I don't have to worry about discarding the oil after all.. the dealer provides a shuttle bus to work and pick up when the vehicle is ready. I work in Mississauga , Ontario , Canada

On my 2016 Forte I had to take the undercover to access the plug and filter.
I save the used oil / filters and take them to the recycling depot our city has setup. Once a year.

Given I have a 4 car fleet, and use Pennzoil synthetic in the cars, I save about $250 a year doing it myself.
And its a personal thing, but I am not a fan of dealers and shuttles etc. About half or one third the time doing the oil change on my own.
I have a 2015 RIO in the fleet, same under body tray to remove. Cordless drill with a socket and 3 minutes, its off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts