Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I will be picking up my 2013 Kia Sportage SX AWD in Mineral Silver. :) I just have a few simple questions. I am debating on whether or not to add the OEM hood deflector to it. Does it actually do anything? Also, if anyone has any pictures of a recent model with the hood deflector (especially in mineral silver) I would appreciate them as I would like to know how it looks. Does it detract from the lines? Is it even necessary? Also, as a first time Kia owner, any advice or tips in order to get the most of my Kia? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,941 Posts
Deflectors work to make the vehicle uglier............

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. I kind of thought as much, just wanted some responses from those that already own a Kia. Also, just looking at the small pictures that you guys have on your profile I can tell that the hood deflector would ruin the lines of the Sportage. If you would be able to post some bigger pictures I would appreciate it. I can't wait until Saturday. :shades:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
Congrats on the purchase Aaron, welcome to the club. As for any tips, just remember to take your foot off the gas once and a while... I know it's always tempting to just give 'er. Especially when you are driving around some S-curves.

Don't want you getting speeding tickets so quickly.. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Chiming in here.

I feel that the hood deflector doesn't "ruin" the looks of this vehicle any more than a mustache or beard can "ruin" the look of a persons face.

It's simply a matter of taste, and if you don't like it, then by all means avoid it. I only have it because it came pre-installed on my sx and i didn't like the thought of having bare, open screw holes through the paint of my hood's underside. so, i would rather just leave it.

As to how it functions. Well, simply, it doesn't. I have had to replace a windshield already, and the current one has some tiny chips. The crack and chips are all located in the bottom 1/3 of the windshield. I still get bug splatter and rain/snow can still hit my windshield.

So it doesn't really do a lot, or at least it seems that way. I haven't removed it and ran a study with it off though.

i have to be careful to clear the debris/leaves that gets suck under it, and i have to wipe it down by shoving a towel behind it. So it requires a little more detail work to clean your vehicle.

I hope this helps you make a decision easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cloud,

Thanks for the response and pics. I must admit that it really doesn't take much away from the look at all, it's hardly noticeable. However, the fact that it doesn't seem to do much (if anything) means I'll be keeping the front of my Kia hood deflector free. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
you could always put a 3m clear protection on the front of the hood.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Doesn't happen often, but . . . . I agree with njerald.

Go for the 3M clear if you feel you need to do anything.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Deflectors work to make the vehicle uglier............
Says the guy with chrome trim on his door edges.

j/k with ya

:p

OP - I can't say if the hood deflector works, but I have about 13,000 (mostly highway) miles on my SX and the paint is holding up well. So I would say it isn't needed.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
you could always put a 3m clear protection on the front of the hood.
A 3-metre high deflector would not be legal; might stop the chips though.:D

Seriously, there's no way a small deflector would have any effect on a rock serious enough to crack the windscreen. Only effect will be to stop chips and road grime under the deflector itself.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Very good Wry 'Cuda. :rolleyes:

Whenever I actually take the time to notice this type of bonnet/hood protector on other cars is when I see them back-filled with leaves and crap (i.e. crap stuck between the protector and the paintwork = can't be good for the paint!).
Leave it off and take it on the chin. So you might get a couple of squashed bugs on the leading edge of the bonnet or a stone chip or two - big deal. It's called enjoying your drive enough to actually take it out of your street!

·
Registered
2011 LX Sportage AWD Mineral/Silver; 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650
63 Posts
Separate yourself from the crowd, besides it looks great. Have fun driving your new Kia and welcome to the forum. Check out my post regarding Kia's Customers 360 vehicle web site for Kia owners called 'IDRIVEONLINE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts