Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sporty 4x4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So toady I'm picking up my new to me sporty. 2002, 78k. 4x4 auto. Lot wanted 4500 for it and with the laundry list below I got it for 3500. :cool:

It's going to need some help, It needs the driver visor, cup holder replaced, ashtray is missing, the rear wiper doesn't, driver seat belt fraying on edge, driver side rear door lock doesn't. The heater/ac fan blows on high only, timing belt condition unknown, needs brakes and rotors, spare tire shows dry rot.

The fan is the only thing I'm not sure where to start at to fix on that list

Pros: 4x4 works, 78k miles, this forum(very helpful in researching this truck), no rust or dings(except for tire carrier which is easy.) new alternator, new battery, clean back seats and cargo area, road tested at 30 mpg in eco 2wd mode.

They seem like great vehicles from reading around the web and a lot on here... Besides the usual used car fixings: oil, brakes, plugs/points, and in this case the timing belt is there thing else I should at right away?

Thanks in advance all,

Clay

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Welcome an congrats on your sportage. The misc. interior parts maybe best gotten from a salvage yard .
The fan may have a bad resistor .You know the fan motor runs,first check at the plug for voltage on all speeds with test light or volt meter. Some guys take the resistor apart an re solder the wires others replace them. It located under the glove compartment attached to the blower motor.
Brakes are ez an straight forward...
If doing a plug change check the plug recess for oil before removing the plugs.clean up with shop towels. Oil in the plug recess will indicate a leaking valve cover gasket.Replace.
Keep in mind 80,000 is recommended t.b. change.
No points...lol.
There are many here that have done just every repair an willing to help.
Good luck an keep us posted.
chief

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sporty 4x4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome an congrats on your sportage. The misc. interior parts maybe best gotten from a salvage yard .
Thank you much for the welcome, and there's a couple pull and pays around that I plan on hitting up.
The fan may have a bad resistor .You know the fan motor runs,first check at the plug for voltage on all speeds with test light or volt meter. Some guys take the resistor apart an re solder the wires others replace them. It located under the glove compartment attached to the blower motor.
This is a great starting point. I'll grab the DMM and get to work on that this weekend. Thanks
Brakes are ez an straight forward...
Keep in mind 80,000 is recommended t.b. change.
They sure are, but I didn't tell the lot guy I knew how to turn wrenches. Took quotes for these from Firestone and my trusted mech to drive down price :whistling:
If doing a plug change check the plug recess for oil before removing the plugs.clean up with shop towels. Oil in the plug recess will indicate a leaking valve cover gasket.Replace.
Thanks for the heads-up! I've read about putting sealant in there as well with the new one. Sound correct?
No points...lol.
Yeah this is from working on cars with my Dad and Uncle too long. Tune-up I guess would be more appropriate.
There are many here that have done just every repair an willing to help.
Good luck an keep us posted.
chief
Thanks again Chief, I will keep you guys updated. Fear not, I'll ask questions when I get a head scratchers, after a search. Cause that's how we learn.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum, congrats on the 'new' Sporty..

re: heater, +1 on checking the resistor, if no joy, here's a link to an older post that may help:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/76078-heater-blower-doesnt-work.html

--
Also, at 78,000 you are due for a timing belt service.. If no records that has been done, best to do it sooner than later, before failure.

--
Always recommend cleaning up those ground points under the hood as a basic 1st maintenance step: Battery neg. to ground tray, ground tray to frame bolts (if applicable), ground tray to engine ground strap, fuel pump ground ring, under carpet flap in back cargo area.. (Our Sporty's run a whole lot better w/ good power to motor, frame, and components.)

Good luck & enjoy the Sporty, please keep us posted on your progress..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sporty 4x4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Timing belt check - There's a record of it 2 years ago at per Kia. Looking at it it's tight and not loose, but I can see some very fine cracks nothing deep, gears line up where and when they should.

I'll get that done in the next couple of weeks. Is it a good idea to do this kit from Partsgeek? It's belt, pullys, water pump, gaskets.

Brake parts and plug wires are on the way, everything else is here waiting on it. Grabbed the copy of the service manual that's posted here on the forums, getting a 1/4" torque wrench (inch lbs)tomorrow at HF for $20 for when I pull the top off the engine. Is that the usual bi-metal gasket on top or is it a disposable?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
That's good news on the marks lining up - knowing that the Sporty has been maintained properly.

re: Timing belt kit, that's an excellent price for the complete kit, last full TB service I used Gates belt & Kia OEM water pump and pulleys, ran about 2x the cost of that kit.

re: Throttle body -> Intake gasket, yes it is the metal gasket, and reusable.

The spark plug writeup you linked to by Axe_Man is very complete, if doing valve cover gasket would just reiterate the importance of taking the time and getting that valve cover gasket channel super clean, and using a thin bead of RTV black in the channel before inserting the gasket: and a dab of RTV at each corner of the cam caps, per the recommended install procedure, to prevent leaks.

re: Spark plugs, running NGK platinum plugs gapped at .038, which seems to be best gap for the 2.0 motor here.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sporty 4x4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotta Cruise thank you! I've moved my questions over here since this was initially intended to be more of an introduction thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts