Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento LX V6 AWD
75 Posts
I thought hard about the Michelin Crossclimate 2 which are snowflake-rated. I didn't like what I was reading about with the handling on those, and my insurance company indicated that they wanted actual winter tires in order for me to maintain my 5% insurance discount. The fact that the guy was a bit unsure at first made me a bit worried that insurance might have some wiggle room on a claim if I skipped full winters.
The same here... Thanks for feedback...

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,162 Posts
Yesterday I compared a few key spec's the ICE -Snow which is an XL SUV 23565R/17 has a 10.5mm thread which is low for a winter tire lug in past tires bought. Typically winter tires are engineered with a taller lug. I compared to the same sized Toyo Observe GSi-6 which is a 13mm thread. 2.5mm is quite a significant improvement as winter tires perform much better with deeper groves in deep snow and also more wear capability. I believe Toyo GSi-6 is got to be the go to rubber for me. I already had/have them on a Highlander my son has now.

Reactions: octavian_kia

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
122 Posts
I have a general aversion of paying a premium for name brands..., but of course I don't want to get cheap junk either. Was sorting thru tirerack and found a set of cheaper tires that'd also give me $50 back! :p

Ratings seemed pretty good. These are not the OEM size, but I plan to get another set of cheap rims to go with them if I do purchase them...

Please take a look and let me know if you think that's piece of junk or perhaps acceptable to have in Seattle area?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,162 Posts
Its an all round good winter tire but whether its value against a higher rated one is worth it or not. Here comparing at Canadian Tire its over $200 which would be more even than the Toyo I like. Saving a $100-150 over 4 tires is not a big gain given you'll be using them for many years to get the value out of a top performer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's another thing I had zero experience in... how many years or how many miles will these winter tires typically last? Warranty section said 6 year warranty, but no miles mentioned... I'm guessing we can't put too many miles on winter tires, right?

Also, there's seems to be no way for me to compare tread wear of different winter tires other than reading the reviews people left? Kinda makes it hard for me to decide whether paying the extra money is worth it. :p

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,162 Posts
Depends at lot of factor. If you're running them late after winter is well over. Etc
4 Winters up to 50,000 miles is fair estimate but can be more for sure. Most don't do high mileage over the winter and get a long life out of a set.

Reviews and spec's are the way to know more and there are on this tire. Do the research.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yesterday I compared a few key spec's the ICE -Snow which is an XL SUV 23565R/17 has a 10.5mm thread which is low for a winter tire lug in past tires bought. Typically winter tires are engineered with a taller lug. I compared to the same sized Toyo Observe GSi-6 which is a 13mm thread. 2.5mm is quite a significant improvement as winter tires perform much better with deeper groves in deep snow and also more wear capability. I believe Toyo GSi-6 is got to be the go to rubber for me. I already had/have them on a Highlander my son has now.
Yes, but the compound they use has sipes all the way through the entire tread. I would see if those Toyos have the sipes that go all the way through. I had 2 sets of the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s and one set lasted me 7 years and the other 6. Sold both with at least 4-5/32ns left. Michelin says these new ones will wear even better. So I don't think tread depth is something to worry about, but the Toyos are great tires and if you have had luck with them in the past, I don't blame you for sticking with them :) If you drive in deep snow then for sure, maybe something with more aggressive tread is warranted.

I have a general aversion of paying a premium for name brands..., but of course I don't want to get cheap junk either. Was sorting thru tirerack and found a set of cheaper tires that'd also give me $50 back! :p

Ratings seemed pretty good. These are not the OEM size, but I plan to get another set of cheap rims to go with them if I do purchase them...

Please take a look and let me know if you think that's piece of junk or perhaps acceptable to have in Seattle area?
The General Altimax Arctic 12s are a favourite of those who want good value in their winter tire. They would be fine...none of the name brands will be junk at all. In some cases we are just being picky. But take a look at the Continental VikingContact 7s and see if those are at a price point you like. But if you wanted to be picky, I do think the Michelin X-Ice Snows are best suited to your area. Long tread life (one of few winter tires with a tread warranty), which will help if you end up driving on dry/wet pavement much of the time.

And you DO want a set of dedicated rims for your winter tires, as it will make the seasonal swap easier and cheaper if you do them in a shop. Also its better for your tires and rims too if you are not yanking tires off the rims every few seasons. For winters a set of black steel rims are suggested, and you actually should go with a smaller size as smaller tires will cut through the snow and slush better than larger tires. I went with 18in, but my dealer actually tried to sell me on 17in. I decided that looks were more important that day and went 18in as I wanted a similar profile as my 19in OEM.

Depends at lot of factor. If you're running them late after winter is well over. Etc
4 Winters up to 50,000 miles is fair estimate but can be more for sure. Most don't do high mileage over the winter and get a long life out of a set.

Reviews and spec's are the way to know more and there are on this tire. Do the research.
See my comment above for Seattle driving. Based on what I know of the weather there, if we were being picky, the Michelins might still be the best bet for something that will last.

·
Registered
122 Posts
And you DO want a set of dedicated rims for your winter tires, as it will make the seasonal swap easier and cheaper if you do them in a shop. Also its better for your tires and rims too if you are not yanking tires off the rims every few seasons. For winters a set of black steel rims are suggested, and you actually should go with a smaller size as smaller tires will cut through the snow and slush better than larger tires. I went with 18in, but my dealer actually tried to sell me on 17in. I decided that looks were more important that day and went 18in as I wanted a similar profile as my 19in OEM.
Just wondering why black rims are suggested for winter tires? I understand steel rims are probably cheaper, but color matters too?

Anyway, as I went thru the tirerack site, it did not give me any steel rims as options... plenty of black rims though. I typically don't like black rims too, but looks like it's now in style? Lots of fancy cars now come with black rim. I don't mind the look of black rims, just that if you scratch it on a curb, it'll probably end up looking really obvious... :p

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,162 Posts
I bought a set of old tires on Hyundai Sante Fe 17" rims. I'll be having my winter tires on though alloy rims. They'll be a perfect fit with the same hub bore. They look nice and won't rust after x number of years as steelies eventually will.

Reactions: octavian_kia

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just wondering why black rims are suggested for winter tires? I understand steel rims are probably cheaper, but color matters too?

Anyway, as I went thru the tirerack site, it did not give me any steel rims as options... plenty of black rims though. I typically don't like black rims too, but looks like it's now in style? Lots of fancy cars now come with black rim. I don't mind the look of black rims, just that if you scratch it on a curb, it'll probably end up looking really obvious... :p
Sorry the colour is not important, its just that the black steelies are usually the cheapest. I have seen them silver too. A google search for them will show mostly black ones as thats most popular for the cheap winter ones (you will see a silver there).

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Sorry I took for granted something there when talking about the rims :)

Reactions: Billi

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just wondering why steel rims have more recommendations compare to alloy for the winter?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m guess because they’re cheap?

however they’re more prone to rust though. So I’ll probably get some cheap alloy rims. ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yep. Cheap, as they get full of snow and salt. I have used wheel covers on them as well when I didn't like the look.

I had some cheap alloys for my Rondo and they didn't hold up too well. Got stained pretty good....but I also didn't take too much care of them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Never driven my Sorento in cold weather before... This morning I've experienced for the 1st time the 'big snow flake on the road' warning light on moment!

It is sunny and road is dry... just weather got below 40F this morning. Really need to get my act together and find my winter tires soon...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Never driven my Sorento in cold weather before... This morning I've experienced for the 1st time the 'big snow flake on the road' warning light on moment!

It is sunny and road is dry... just weather got below 40F this morning. Really need to get my act together and find my winter tires soon...
Haha that cold weather warning gets cute when it's -10c and snowing hard all around you in February when you are sick and tired of it...its like "no **** Sorento you don't say!"

• Haha
Reactions: Billi

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anyone know about Michelin - X-Ice North 4 ? Is it any good? Costco is selling it...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Does anyone know about Michelin - X-Ice North 4 ? Is it any good? Costco is selling it...
They are supposed to be an excellent studdable tire.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes, they are studded... I guess, I will ignore them for now... :)
They could be the best option for where you live. That's the thing with winter tires...only thing to be said for certain is that winters will be better than all-seasons. Which winter will often boil down to where you live, preferences, and budget.

If I lived somewhere that studded was an option I would go that route for sure, and the Michelins would be on my short-list. But I have not spent too much time looking at studded as they are not allowed where I live.

I think the best top-tier tire for the money are the Continental VikingContact 7s. They seem to be coming in $200-$300 CDN less for a whole set vs my favourite the X-Ice Snows. I've just had such good luck treadwear with the Michelins and they are just slightly ahead of the Contis for the conditions I drive in.

That said, no matter what you buy, I would move very soon or you might run out of options as we will soon see tires disappearing. I know that there is stock that is unavailable now for the Sorento that was available just a few weeks ago: Winter tires are the next looming shortage for consumers

Reactions: edmikeca
21 - 40 of 47 Posts