Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks;
Got about 10cm of snow here today and the area I live in is rarely plowed early, so I took it as a chance to see how the Sorento handles the snow. I live on a small hill and my Rondo and Elantra GT with winter Michelin Xi3s have issues getting up the hill in a hurry.

The Sorento handled it like a champ. I tried to make the wheels spin and I took some turns sharper than I should have and it handled the snowy hill extremely well. I'm using cheap new Sailun WST1 18in tires.

Very pleased my first time out trying the Dynamax AWD. Have to keep in mind that physics still apply, but this thing is a tank.

Reactions: dardsa and Lou O.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Your combination of traction control and AWD - plus relatively new tires, should provide you with plenty of traction.

On mine, I keep AWD off, unless there's wet or slippery pavement. Traction control can also be turned off. But it's a pain to turn off everyday, since the default on the system is set to run continuously after every restart. I'm afraid that if I turn off Traction Control thousands of times (1st & last owner here), the electronic switch will break sooner or later.

My AWD electronic switch keeps the system Off, even when the engine is restarted.
Another switch I turned off permanently is Start-Stop. All it takes is a cut-off toothpick to disable it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,962 Posts
Indeed. Another look at the functional description in the manual is definitely in order.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have decided to upgrade my tires for this winter to the new Michelin X Ice Snow SUV from Costco. They have $100 off right now. There is a possibility of a winter tire shortage this year so I jumped on it early. I had the tires mounted to rims and I'll get them installed at the end of October on the Sorento.

Nothing terribly wrong with the Sailun tires I had on the Sorento last year. I didn't like how loud they were, and on the highway I thought they were a little 'squirrely.' I'm hoping to sell my Sailuns to recoup the costs a bit...I suspect that if the winter tire shortage comes to reality later this fall I'll get what I'm asking for my Sailuns.

But honestly, I'm just picky about tires and I had such great luck with the two sets of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires I have had in the past...I had them 6 and 7 years before I got rid of them, and in each case they still had between 4/32ns and 6/32ns of tread left...I only got rid of them when the car was sold, or when I noticed the rubber starting to get hard due to age. Michelin promises even better treadwear on this new version, and these tires are well-suited to the conditions I drive them in.

If I didn't get the Michelins, I probably would have gotten the Continental VikingContact 7s as those look outstanding as well, and come in at about $200-300 cheaper than the Michelins normally...but they are getting harder to find right now already...

If you are looking to get winter tires, I would start shopping now. get them before the shortage and if you are not ready to install yet, simply store them next to your toilet paper stash in the garage until the weather gets colder.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
110 Posts
octavian_kia
How are you liking the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II ? I am deciding between michelin and pirelle. Are they fairly quiet and handle bumps ok. My original NEXENs are about due for replacement. Wisconsin weather so all season are fine.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
octavian_kia
How are you liking the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II ? I am deciding between michelin and pirelle. Are they fairly quiet and handle bumps ok. My original NEXENs are about due for replacement. Wisconsin weather so all season are fine.
The Verde All Season Plus IIs have been excellent. Been through some good rain storms and they drive well. I can suggest those for sure if you are thinking about it. I have out approx 4k on them so far, I think. No noticable treadwear but I have not measured.

The Michelin Premier LTX that came OEM on the Sorento and these Pirellis I would say are similar in driving comfort, etc. The thing to worry about with the premier LTX would be treadlife. the Pirellis have 110,000kms treadwear warranty here and folks are having a tough time getting decent life on the Michelins.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
110 Posts
octavian_kia, Thanks, i was leaning towards pirelli but nice to hear personal experience.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento LX V6 AWD
75 Posts
I have decided to upgrade my tires for this winter to the new Michelin X Ice Snow SUV from Costco.
I"m on the fence between Bridgestone - BLIZZAK DM-V2/NOKIAN - HAKKAPELIITTA R3/Michelin - X-Ice Snow. Please share your experience once you try them in the snow...

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,187 Posts
Ok, I am interested as I am shopping for tires as well. Although snow isn't expected for 3 months (at least none that stay long enough to be more than dandruff coating or lasts)

I had Toyo Observe GSi-6 on my other vehicle which are direction tires. They are a very long wearing tire unlike Blizzak and the newerWS-90 are noisy I've read they off my list anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
125 Posts
I have been in SoCal most of my life and have never purchased any winter tires... I've put chains on tires that's about it...

Now that I'm in Seattle, which doesn't snow that often, would snow tires still be a good investment?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,187 Posts
Talk to others who live there for years. I believe so given the geography location.
If your winter get to freezing and below. All season tires aren't near as good in traction and if there is any surface ice you'll glide like on skates on virgin ice (black ice). I avoid going out when I know the road is icy as in freezing rain or flash freeze after a rain. I don't matter what tires at that point you're going to have trouble or the other guy will and hit you. A no win situation, just stay home.

The least expensive winter tires will be better than what you have. I have had All season Michelin tires on two vehicle and their thread pattern and core section lack anything to work in the cold, on snow or ice. Your vehicle is in a bumper car track with them. They are after all designed for summer condition. Change them for sure as I am in the process of doing so as my Sorento came with them.

Reactions: Billi

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I"m on the fence between Bridgestone - BLIZZAK DM-V2/NOKIAN - HAKKAPELIITTA R3/Michelin - X-Ice Snow. Please share your experience once you try them in the snow...
Will certainly do. That won't be until December most likely.

That said, the Blizzaks are notorious for wearing out quickly..great until then. The DM-V2 are based on the WS80 I believe (or same generation).

The Hakkas would be a great option. What scared me from those were availability...only 1 dealer in my area carried them and I wanted a tire that was easy to get a hold of if I had a blowout, etc. I would not wait too long though...tires might be hard to get shortly if the rubber shortage comes to fruition. That's why I got my Michelins now, before it got too busy.

I have been in SoCal most of my life and have never purchased any winter tires... I've put chains on tires that's about it...

Now that I'm in Seattle, which doesn't snow that often, would snow tires still be a good investment?
If temps get below 7c (44.6f) then the rubber gets harder, which makes tires less effective, even without snow. The treads are only part of the story with winter tires...the flexible rubber in low temps is also a large part of it.

You running all seasons or summers? If summer I'd get them off fast and grab a decent all-season in the very least.

If I were you, I would certainly take a look at the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires. They are great for dry pavement and wet...I'd say ideal for your area for sure. Stay away from Blizzaks as they would certainly wear too quickly in Seattle I think.

Reactions: Billi

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
125 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,187 Posts
I am pretty much decided on the Michelin Tires but specifically 235/65R17XL X-ICE Snow SUV build. I saw them at a local garage ordered for some other customer and the treads look very well done unlike earlier Ice only tires which were very poor in deep snow. The Toyo GSI-6 I mentioned above would be a 2nd and almost the same price. Both will wear a long time especially the Toyo ones if thats key factor. That does NOT translate into the GSi-3 though only the GSi-6 !!

For the difference I likely opt for the more premium tire

Reactions: octavian_kia

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I am pretty much decided on the Michelin Tires but specifically 235/65R17XL X-ICE Snow SUV build. I saw them at a local garage ordered for some other customer and the treads look very well done unlike earlier Ice only tires which were very poor in deep snow. The Toyo GSI-6 I mentioned above would be a 2nd and almost the same price. Both will wear a long time especially the Toyo ones if thats key factor. That does NOT translate into the GSi-3 though only the GSi-6 !!

For the difference I likely opt for the more premium tire
Yes the new Michelins were changed to a more aggressive tread for use in.snow. The Continental Vikingcontact 7s are the top rated studless tire in Scandinavia...hard packed and deep snow are great for those tires.

With all the top names you can't go too wrong, just choose the one that will be slightly better for your driving conditions. With me.being near Toronto with relatively mild winters with short bouts of harsh winter, that's the Michelins for me. If I were in northern Ontario I might have went Continentals instead. But that's just being very picky, and I think the Michelins will last longer.

Edit: oh, the Michelin X Ice Snows are also made in Nova Scotia :)

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento LX V6 AWD
75 Posts
Just curious... if anyone has considered all weather tires. They can't compete with winter tires of course but for the mild winter they should be ok (which is not my case though...). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought hard about the Michelin Crossclimate 2 which are snowflake-rated. I didn't like what I was reading about with the handling on those, and my insurance company indicated that they wanted actual winter tires in order for me to maintain my 5% insurance discount. The fact that the guy was a bit unsure at first made me a bit worried that insurance might have some wiggle room on a claim if I skipped full winters.

Reactions: edmikeca
1 - 20 of 47 Posts