Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio SR7
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought my Kia Cee'd in May and collected it the following week. The car is now almost 1 year old and I received a letter from the dealership stating it was due its 1st service. The car was only 7months old when I bought it and only had 10 miles on the clock. I was very surprised to get this letter as I thought the car would be due a service 1 year from when I bought it. The car has only done 3,078 miles and I am a bit concerned that I will be wasting my money servicing it now. I presumed the dealership would've serviced it before I collected it? All replies welcome.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
A Ceed CRDi needs servicing every 12 months or 20,000 miles whichever comes first. You say the car is almost a year old this is due for its first service regarldelss of the low mileage covered. Miss it and its goodbye warranty.

Why would a garage want to service a car with only 10 miles on the clock an 7 months old.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
What would worry me more is how come the car is 7 months old from first registration (that's when the warranty starts) and it's only done 10miles. Why?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Not clear from the OP when the car was first registered. Maybe it was in storage for 7 months before sale (and first registration). It's quite common for cars to be a few months old when sold, and nobody seems to worry about this, either the new owner (age of car), or the dealer (timing of the first service).

In the case of a car 7 months old with 10 miles on the clock, it would be reasonable for the dealer to do a free service before delivery (oil change), and then restart the service and warranty history. Unless the buyer did a special deal at the time of sale, it's not his problem that the car had been difficult to sell.

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
I overshot my service interval by nearly 500 miles on my 58 Pro Ceed 3 1.6 CRDi because it had a rear end shunt the week before the accident and had to reschedule the service, and Ward Green Kia in Barnsley assured be it would be ok as it wasn't taking the p*** and my warranty would be fine.

Luckily the only thing I've had to have done under warranty is a malfunctioning washer jet...

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
I overshot my service interval by nearly 500 miles
You are allowed a bit of time/miles to get your service carried out, normally 1 month or 1000 miles before your warranty is affected. If your car was off the road for repairs that would also be taken into acount.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Not clear from the OP when the car was first registered. Maybe it was in storage for 7 months before sale (and first registration). It's quite common for cars to be a few months old when sold, and nobody seems to worry about this, either the new owner (age of car), or the dealer (timing of the first service).

In the case of a car 7 months old with 10 miles on the clock, it would be reasonable for the dealer to do a free service before delivery (oil change), and then restart the service and warranty history. Unless the buyer did a special deal at the time of sale, it's not his problem that the car had been difficult to sell.
By law a pre-registered car cannot be sold by the dealer registering it for 6 months, they get round this by hanging onto the V5 until the car is 6 months old, this is also illegal. The dealer selling this Ceed is one of the few honest ones who knows the law and should be applauded.

I have bought pre-registered cars and my father has, you just have to remember when you buy them that the warranty is 6 months or so shorter (not really an issue with a Kia) and the service will be due very soon. Since you normally save £1000's why is there a problem. The service is 6 months earlier than normal and costs about £160, in the big scheme that's £80 for the 6 months earlier than you expected bit, not much really is it.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Sorry you've lost me. :confused:

Sorry RTF.
My entry was a bit obscure. I meant the poor chap would have to pay for the service to protect the Kia warranty. Kia could be fair and say in this case the service is unwarranted, or give him a free one.:)

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Johnfranklyn does not believe in the Kia warranty or Kia servicing. Its beyond me why he has a Kia.

I know you have an interest in protecting the status quo regarding the Kia guarantee from your past experience in the motor trade and also as a professional engineer. My experience of the Kia servicing has been regretfully very poor hence my reluctance to pursue the upkeep of my Kia warranty. If it is beyond you understanding why I have a Kia you have my sympathy. I am quite clear in my mind why I own a KIA.

If Kia owners find their agency excellent, congratulations. Stay with the guarantee and be happy.:D

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Kia could be fair and say in this case the service is unwarranted, or give him a free one
Why should Kia give him anything, the buyers contract is with the dealer. If the buyer had wanted a free service he should have negotiated that at the time of purchase not try it on 5 months later.

If buyers do not understand the simple concept of needing to service a car to keep the warranty current why should the manufacturer/dealer spend money making them happy.

Do your research before you buy.

This applies to all pre registered cars and not just Kia's.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Why should Kia give him anything, the buyers contract is with the dealer. If the buyer had wanted a free service he should have negotiated that at the time of purchase not try it on 5 months later.

If buyers do not understand the simple concept of needing to service a car to keep the warranty current why should the manufacturer/dealer spend money making them happy.

Do your research before you buy.

This applies to all pre registered cars and not just Kia's.

I simply assumed he had bought his Kia from a Kia Agency. I expected the Kia agency should have given him a free service. It never crossed my mind you would assume I expected the Kia manufactures to arrange the service. Not everyone has AMI Mech E after his name and long experience in the motor trade, or to know how to research the nitty gritty of purchasing a car and all that that entails. Your “Try it on five months later” show’s your trade connections once again. Not all car buyers want something for nothing

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
John

I repeat again I have no connection with the motor trade and never have had. I am just a member of the public when it comes to buying cars but I apply a little research and logic to the process, most buyers don't and its obvious to me why they get into so much trouble..

If the dealer was good enough to carry out some sort of service for you before purchase it would not be all the items on the 1 year schedule, why would it, the car was only 7 months old. On its first birthday it would need the scheduled items carrying out.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Sorry RTF.
My entry was a bit obscure. I meant the poor chap would have to pay for the service to protect the Kia warranty. Kia could be fair and say in this case the service is unwarranted, or give him a free one.:)
Yes your right, they should at least give a free service. But as I previously said, what worries me more is what was the car doing for the first five months of it's life? If it had just stood in a showroom it would not have been registered. If it had been used as a demo it would have more mileage. A mystery. :confused:

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
John

I repeat again I have no connection with the motor trade and never have had. I am just a member of the public when it comes to buying cars but I apply a little research and logic to the process, most buyers don't and its obvious to me why they get into so much trouble..

If the dealer was good enough to carry out some sort of service for you before purchase it would not be all the items on the 1 year schedule, why would it, the car was only 7 months old. On its first birthday it would need the scheduled items carrying out.
Have I got one of the so many Ceed members wrong again? Differentiation between you all is rather difficult. I will have to make a members list using a form of Ceed name for identification. There are just too many of you. If you are not the gent who told me he was not a motor mechanic, but an Engineer I apologise profusely. As you seemed to be standing in the dealers corner I assumed you were the qualified engineer I recently communicated with.
johnfranklyn

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes your right, they should at least give a free service. But as I previously said, what worries me more is what was the car doing for the first five months of it's life? If it had just stood in a showroom it would not have been registered. If it had been used as a demo it would have more mileage. A mystery. :confused:
It is as SWceed said. If a dealer registers a car(s), (usually to get a sales target bonus), they are not allowed by law to sell it for six months. Probably the worst that will have happened to it is it will have been parked in a field up to its axles in mud. Where do you think all the pre registered cars come from?

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
It is as SWceed said. If a dealer registers a car(s), (usually to get a sales target bonus), they are not allowed by law to sell it for six months. Probably the worst that will have happened to it is it will have been parked in a field up to its axles in mud. Where do you think all the pre registered cars come from?
Thanks for the info. I can't understand why sales targets and when it is sold are of any concern to the DVLA. The sooner its registered (sold or not) the sooner the DVLA get the road fund tax money! Still, I'm sure your right. What crazy punitive tax laws we suffer, only in Britain!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can't understand why sales targets and when it is sold are of any concern to the DVLA.
I don't think it matters to the DVLA. A car is not "sold" until it is registered, so a sales bonus can't be claimed until registration. The six month sale delay was intended to stop dealers and big fleet operators pre registering thousands of cars at huge discounts and then selling them on as second hand (new pre registered) at a profit and distorting the new car sales figures. No one in their right mind would buy a new retail car rather than a delivery mileage pre registered one.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/60167/shock-pre-reg-sales

1 - 20 of 22 Posts