Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so first road trip and this was in my 2011 Sorento I4. Obviously I can't speak for the new improved I4 but just a word for those that are considering buying. I normally get good mpg on the highway, close to the advertised 29mpg. Not the case when you load up the family and camping gear. The engine is very under powered when loaded with gear. It did ok at low speeds in the mountains but the real issues are in the highway at 70mph.........with a car topper the trip from Texas to Colorado and back I averaged 21mpg. Not bad as it was loaded with heavy gear. I kept my speed at 65 in the highway because the car screamed in pain at 70 or above and would gear search like crazy.

I unloaded my camping gear in Texas and removed the car topper for the trip to Florida. I had basic luggage for two children and two adults. I averaged 24 mpg for the trip here. Kept the speed around 70. Again, this engine just can't cut it at highway speeds when loaded. If I had to do it all again I would go with the v6. This little engine struggles in the hills and even a strong headwind strains it at highway speeds. Again, at low speeds it does just fine. Just my experience.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
for what it's worth, it's not you

but the manufacture & dealers "fault" per say

I don't know why they still keep pushing out SUV with the option for a 4 cyl engine :rolleyes:

i'll understand it on a CUV like the Sportage, Mitsubishi RvR and any other 5 seater models that are more of a roomier car than a SUV

the obvious choices for any SUV should start at least with a V6 with option for V8 for the higher models

when people buy SUV, they expect to be able to load it up and expect it to run to notch under load.

i purchased the SUV to be able to tow a trailer + my family fully loaded all 7 seater plus probably a roof topper for the luggage or any lose article that can't go in the trailer for those road trips.

even the V6 seems a bit under powered for a 3.5 L only doing 276 HP
similar SUV can pull 300+ HP still on 3.5 L engine

but oh well i picked the Sorento as it was the best bang for the buck, and **cough** mpg/gal seems better than its counter parts like Mitsubishi Outback / Mazda CX-9, etc

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I think a turbocharged I4 or a turbo-diesel is feasible since you get substantially more low-end torque and the possibility of a significant boost in HP with the gasser. The new Ford Edge is able to get 30mpg with a turbocharged gas engine that puts out 240hp and 270 ft/lbs of torque. I would imagine that Kia could do the same with the turbo I4 that's currently available in the Optima.

Best,

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, the Sorento is quite a big unit, and obviously too big for a 4-cylinder engine. Elsewhere on the forum, someone is complaining about the performance of the Sportage with a 1.6 litre engine. I am amazed.

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
I think its like this...
Get the 4 cylinder engine if you cant cut the price for the v6 but still want to look mean for city driving.

For the real-deal the answer is obvious, you need the V6.

I think KIA is trying to satisfy the 'boys' and the 'men'
The economy of the V6 vs the power that your getting, fuel should not be a factor when deciding, it's how much you can afford on the power-plant.
When making this compromise ones got to be realistic.

However if only ever doing city driving the 4 cylinder does have its place for those on a budget while looking like the real-deal...
If you have the money and decide on the 4 you should get slapped on the back of the head :)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 6MT
47 Posts
Hey guys !

We went for the 4 cylinder purely for the price ($23 995 CAN).

We were looking at the cheapest way to put 3 baby seats in a 5 seater (excluding a minivan).

We can't complain on that aspect, they do fit and we have lots of cargo room (the Mazda 5 was another option but no cargo room).

I averaged 21 MPG (11.2 l/100km) over the 18 000 miles we did over 1.5 years.

I averaged 22.5 (10.5 l/100km)MPG with our previous car a 2005 Subaru Legacy wagon so I'm not freaking out.

At least we have the (discontinued) manual tranny and have more control over the way it goes (!).

Cheers !

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the I4. I have to be careful or I'll hit 80 without realizing it. Most of my driving is local and I have no problems at all with the 4 nor do I have any problems on the highway. I have no regrets whatsoever about passing up on the V6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, I am happy with the car overall. This road trip just pointed out one of the negative aspects of going with the i4. Usually I am not driving around with so much weight. Now that I am I see where the i4 is lacking. And being the type of guy that likes the outdoors and camping I should have known.....we ALMOST got the v6 but decided a few trips a
year would not justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just to clarify, I am happy with the car overall. This road trip just pointed out one of the negative aspects of going with the i4. Usually I am not driving around with so much weight. Now that I am I see where the i4 is lacking. And being the type of guy that likes the outdoors and camping I should have known.....we ALMOST got the v6 but decided a few trips a
Highlander at 4400lbs can be gotten with a 4 banger. Who in their right mind would. When we bought our new one it never crossed my mind to buy a crossover with a 4. The only 4 that has great power and excellent fuel economy in a mid size is the Ford Edge Ecoboost. At 240Hp and 270ft lbs of torque that engine kicks some butt. I have to believe that Kia and Hyundai will use the turbo they use in the Sonota and Optima soon. We seriously considered and Edge but it was not any larger than the Sorento.

I would definitely buy another Sorento if they get serious about refining the ride and increase quality control when it comes to the rattles. Also, put a better stereo system in. I was not impressed with even the upgraded one. I'm sure they will get better with each year.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
By I4, do you mean the GDI engine, or the base I4 engine? I have an 2013 EX with the GDI engine and it seems to have more than enough power. We took a trip to Charleston last month (3 people and a lot of beach gear) and had no problems at all cruising at 75 mph with the AC on. Our gas mileage was right at 29 mpg. No complaints here at all.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
By I4, do you mean the GDI engine, or the base I4 engine? I have an 2013 EX with the GDI engine and it seems to have more than enough power. We took a trip to Charleston last month (3 people and a lot of beach gear) and had no problems at all cruising at 75 mph with the AC on. Our gas mileage was right at 29 mpg. No complaints here at all.
I got 28.5mpg with the V6 and AWD on a 200 mile trip with 2 adults and a bunch of cargo.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
If KIA decides, which I'm thinking they will throw the GDI turbo 4 banger in the Sorento. You guys won't be complaining much! That little engine with a turbo on it can really haul ass installed in the Santa Fe. You'll swear there is a v6 or small v8 under the hood!

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
That is amazing...

That is pretty amazing. Especially for an AWD V6. My Kia Borrego 4x4 only gets 21 at best on the highway. But it is a truck based 5000+ pound vehicle. But I have no complaints about the GDI 4 and test drove both before buying. This is a second vehicle for us to drive when we don't need the heavy duty Borrego (for towing, etc).

I got 28.5mpg with the V6 and AWD on a 200 mile trip with 2 adults and a bunch of cargo.

Best,

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
That is pretty amazing. Especially for an AWD V6. My Kia Borrego 4x4 only gets 21 at best on the highway. But it is a truck based 5000+ pound vehicle. But I have no complaints about the GDI 4 and test drove both before buying. This is a second vehicle for us to drive when we don't need the heavy duty Borrego (for towing, etc).
Amazing indeed. We're quite pleased with the way it's performing. It only gets about 20mpg around town, but that's to be expected when you consider the weight. Looking forward to potentially seeing sub-$3 gas in NJ soon to further sweeten the pot. :)

The mileage on my Audi A4 (turbocharged I4) was only about 5mpg better and that required premium gas @ another 25-30 cents/gallon around these parts.

Best,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts