Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i purchased a 2019 Sorento last month and the dealer told me to have my first oil change at 3,500 miles. However, the manual and UVO app seem to suggest the 1st maintenance at 7,500 miles.
Should i follow the dealer recommendation or the maintenance manual?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I follow the manual and have on both vehicles. The dealer likes to have more frequent changes to bring in more revenue. You will notice when you do have a oil change every 7,500 miles the sticker the dealer puts on the window will still say your next oil change should be in 3,000 miles. Also specify Synthetic Oil when you do bring the vehicle in for the oil change. My Oil changes using Synthetic Oil costs $43.53 on both Sorento's. I also have the tires rotated at every oil change.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So, i purchased a 2019 Sorento last month and the dealer told me to have my first oil change at 3,500 miles. However, the manual and UVO app seem to suggest the 1st maintenance at 7,500 miles.
Stick to the manual. Challenge the service manager every time they intend to deviate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'd suggest you listen to the dealer on this one, first oil change is very different and is important.
Some people go to extremes of changing factory filled oil as soon as they get delivery of the car, some go 1K miles, those are extremes.
Having first oil change around 3K miles mark is reasonable and is a good idea.

·
Registered
776 Posts
What are they using for oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Synthetic Blend
When I had 1000 miles on the car I sucked it out and replaced with Mobil One.
But I don't think I will bother with that any more.
With a 3 year lease, and I will probably not break 20K miles, I am not going to worry about the oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Synthetic Blend

When I had 1000 miles on the car I sucked it out and replaced with Mobil One.

But I don't think I will bother with that any more.

With a 3 year lease, and I will probably not break 20K miles, I am not going to worry about the oil.

I don’t believe there are any blended oils that meet the specs. If you have no intention to buy out the lease than no worries. I know people who never change the oil with a lease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am having my factory fill oil changed at 2,000 miles, next week.
New 100% synthetic Mobil One. 5W30. Wix oil filter.
Once the engine is broken in I like to swap out the oil. My personal preference.
It won't break the bank and there are a lot of positive reasons to change it.
Go ahead and listen to the dealership on this one, then go on the recommended change interval.

·
Registered
498 Posts
OP purchased the car, I dunno how long he wants to keep and run it.
I only buy and never lease and expect to run the car at least 10 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a thousand mile guy.

My imagination is too active on all the things that might have burred, dropped, or incorrectly placed in there during production. It has served me well for a very long time and it's cheap insurance.

Dennis

·
Registered
3 Posts
I changed mine, 2019 LX, at 600 miles.the oil was sparkles and I cut the filter open. Lots if metal shards in the filter....they are not circulating in my engineoptimization now.....5,000 between changes now...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I changed mine, 2019 LX, at 600 miles.the oil was sparkles and I cut the filter open. Lots if metal shards in the filter....they are not circulating in my engineoptimization now.....5,000 between changes now...
I think I would have sent the oil off for analysis, should not be visible metallic particles in today's engines, that's old school technology that used to "wear in" parts. Tolerances are so tight today that early initial oil changes really aren't necessary although I did mine at 3,000 but had no sparkles or other visible particles. Didn't cut the filter open but there wasn't any debris on the outside of the pleats. Metal would have prompted the oil analysis and if it showed abnormal wear, would have made that a part of my record with Kia.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I follow the manual and have on both vehicles. The dealer likes to have more frequent changes to bring in more revenue. You will notice when you do have a oil change every 7,500 miles the sticker the dealer puts on the window will still say your next oil change should be in 3,000 miles. Also specify Synthetic Oil when you do bring the vehicle in for the oil change. My Oil changes using Synthetic Oil costs $43.53 on both Sorento's. I also have the tires rotated at every oil change.
$43 for synthetic oil? Where in the hell do you live? Would it be worth me driving there? The only two Kia dealers in the area I'll be using be using both want almost double that for synthetic!

Close to taking mine in for it's second. I have a couple of freebies at dealership where I bought the car but I'm not really of a mind to drive 60+ miles into Atlanta traffic, spend 2+ hours there then drive back home for a free ( $80) oil change, so I guess I'm stuck with the closer one! In any case, I get it done at 5k intervals, have followed that for a long time on most all our cars and guess I'll continue, seems to work well and it's easy to remember!

·
Super Moderator
9,545 Posts
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
145 Posts
It depends on where you live and your driving habits. Some areas of the country have more harsh climates and require more frequent oil changes. Being your first oil change I'd do it early. Growing up, the first oil change of a new car was recommended at 1000 miles and it was common knowledge not to push the car hard for the first 500 miles (the break-in period). I know that today's technology is far better and that extreme break-in period is not as necessary but imo, better safe than sorry. IMO it's worth the money to get past that period and get the oil change to clear out any break in particles. I got my first oil change on my 2019 Sorento EX at 1500 miles for that reason.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts