Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 LX+
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Did anyone hear about changing the oil on a new car at about 1000 KM because of metal shavings or other crap that would be in the new motor? Thx. and have a nice day

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Hi, Did anyone hear about changing the oil on a new car at about 1000 KM because of metal shavings or other crap that would be in the new motor? Thx. and have a nice day
Depending when your car was manufactured I believe. I think its either change at 6 months or 1500kms

I remember an old thread on this but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I changed mine around 4500-5000

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I don't think there's any need for concern about changing oil early. The components are cleaned before assembly, any any stray bits would be picked up by the filter anyway. Changed our Cerato at 13,000 km and no worries since.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
I change at 1000 km, did it myself just to see the shavings in it. It was dirtier than the regular interval changes after it.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
Hi all,
Question .. is the filter and drain plug easy to get at?

I actually have a Port-A-Lift in my garage. Looks like a crate dolly but lifts 4 feet.
Kinda like this but the forks are straight like a fork lift :)
I just turned 1000 kms and going do do a change ASAP and going Synthetic....

Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
just follow the recommendations for service in the back of your owner's manual, probably most people in Canada maybe under the Severe service conditions, but you have to determine yourself if you meet the criteria listing.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
just follow the recommendations for service in the back of your owner's manual, probably most people in Canada maybe under the Severe service conditions, but you have to determine yourself if you meet the criteria listing.
I'm planning on running synthetic and will probably change in-between reg and severe service condition range. I have a nice big garage, lift and a beer fridge :nahrung034:

Was planning on doing the first one early only from some reading on the possibility of assembly grease, shavings etc being in the oil and switching to synthetic . Of course the filter should pretty much take of that all ....

. . . did I mention the beer fridge :)

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
i'm planning on running synthetic and will probably change in-between reg and severe service condition range. I have a nice big garage, lift and a beer fridge :nahrung034:

Was planning on doing the first one early only from some reading on the possibility of assembly grease, shavings etc being in the oil and switching to synthetic . Of course the filter should pretty much take of that all ....

. . . Did i mention the beer fridge :)

cheers,
paul
picture or it didint happen

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'm planning on running synthetic and will probably change in-between reg and severe service condition range. I have a nice big garage, lift and a beer fridge :nahrung034:

. . . did I mention the beer fridge :)
A beer fridge is an essential accompaniment to auto maintenance. How else would you shoot the breeze on oil change intervals and choice of brand, synthetic or otherwise?

-That's how I've accumulated a shed load of oils of various types for each car! I'm in the process of rationalising by switching to Total Quartz 5W-30 synthetic (Yet more jugs of oil for the shed). My wife thinks I'm a disciple of BITOG.

Fact is that provided you select the correct grade from a reputable manufacturer and change at the recommended intervals it doesn't matter much. I've never had an engine failure or sign of premature wear in about 50 years of motoring. We used to change every 1000 miles in the early days before good oils and filters were standard fitment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts