Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off and on for the last few weeks I would get intermittent problems with the camera and/or display unit where I would get a completely black screen, a black screen with the guides or a garbled view i.e. looks like a TV station not tuned in correctly. Today its toast.. all I get is black screen or garbled all the time. I have driven multiple times today and each time in reverse I have the same results so off to the dealer it goes for warranty issue number one.. only four months into ownership. Stellar start.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Interesting. I have owned my 2013 Rio 5 SX nearly 3 weeks now. I noticed, once, when I put it in reverse I got a black screen with the guide lines. When I put it into park and then back it to reverse it was fine. I have only noticed it the one time. Now I will keep my eyes on it.

Off and on for the last few weeks I would get intermittent problems with the camera and/or display unit where I would get a completely black screen, a black screen with the guides or a garbled view i.e. looks like a TV station not tuned in correctly. Today its toast.. all I get is black screen or garbled all the time. I have driven multiple times today and each time in reverse I have the same results so off to the dealer it goes for warranty issue number one.. only four months into ownership. Stellar start.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
not sure on the Rio, but on the Soul with the UVO there is a reset button if your have any problems with your unit.

update: Just downloaded the UVO owners manual for the 2013 Rio from KGIS and it does have a reset (see page 15 in your manual)

"If the system is behaving abnormally, press the reset button to reset the system"

"the reset button should only be used in case of system malfunction. Never use the reset key while the system is operating normally"

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the SX with the premium package so SatNav and Sirius for me, no UVO. I took the car into the dealer yesterday for a scheduled appointment. The camera was mostly out all weekend long and inoperable either black screen with not guides or guides with a fuzzy image. I did take a video of it in action that I was able to show the service rep since Murphy's Law yesterday the backup camera worked flawless. They ordered a new camera and whether it was the path of least resistance or they found an issue I won't know.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
only four months into ownership. Stellar start.
Were you expecting to have absolutely no problems? When exactly WOULD the first problem be acceptable? Often, especially with electronics, if things are going to go wrong they will go wrong early. Isn't that what your warranty is for? I have a friend who just bought a BMW and has had 3 issues within the first 2 months. The Rio is a well made car but you WILL have problems here and there. One minor problem 4 months in is not unreasonable at all for ANY car.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
Were you expecting to have absolutely no problems? When exactly WOULD the first problem be acceptable? Often, especially with electronics, if things are going to go wrong they will go wrong early. Isn't that what your warranty is for? I have a friend who just bought a BMW and has had 3 issues within the first 2 months. The Rio is a well made car but you WILL have problems here and there. One minor problem 4 months in is not unreasonable at all for ANY car.
True story. I work on multibillion dollar aircraft in the Air Force. We have brand new C-17's that come in with stuff broken right out of the gate. It happens and that's why there is a warranty. I bet if you go to a BMW or Mercedez or Lexus, or even a Ford or Chevy forum with vehicles with back up cameras you just might find that they have similar issues, this isn't just because it's a Kia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts