Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been meaning to stop by my local dealer to show them an issue I was seeing from time to time. On occasion I'd get a very minor surge when cruising along at very light throttle in traffic. I just assumed it was the throttle position sensor or somesuch and figured it could wait until I dropped by next time to buy some oil filters. Last night while cruising along at 25-30mph in traffic, it went into limp mode and tripped the check engine light. A restart got it out of limp mode and it drove normally afterwards, but the code stored was P0638. Seems like my suspicion about a dodgy throttle position sensor (or I guess it's the "actuator" in the pedal assembly) was correct.

Any of you Kia techs know which part this is and the approximate cost? While I'm sure they'll fix it under warranty, if it's a cheap part I'm more inclined to just replace it myself and not have to leave my car at the dealer all day.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
I'd been meaning to stop by my local dealer to show them an issue I was seeing from time to time. On occasion I'd get a very minor surge when cruising along at very light throttle in traffic. I just assumed it was the throttle position sensor or somesuch and figured it could wait until I dropped by next time to buy some oil filters. Last night while cruising along at 25-30mph in traffic, it went into limp mode and tripped the check engine light. A restart got it out of limp mode and it drove normally afterwards, but the code stored was P0638. Seems like my suspicion about a dodgy throttle position sensor (or I guess it's the "actuator" in the pedal assembly) was correct.

Any of you Kia techs know which part this is and the approximate cost? While I'm sure they'll fix it under warranty, if it's a cheap part I'm more inclined to just replace it myself and not have to leave my car at the dealer all day.

Best,
I've had this same exact, word for word, thing happen to me twice now, I was going a little slower though in a parking lot. Each time, I have taken it to Kia, they have found nothing, no codes or anything. I'm glad you at least got a code, now I have something to give them to at least look for if it happens again. Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well its looking like either a ETC or TPS.

P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance (Bank 1)

Since it is dealing with the ETC and TPS there needs to diagnostics ran with our scan tools to see if all is on the up and up and fix it right the first time...:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts