Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Click above for high-res gallery of the 2009 Kia Borrego

Could there be an any worse time to debut a brand new body-on-frame SUV like Kia has done with the new 2009 Borrego? Gas prices have most every new car shopper running from SUVs into small cars with four-cylinder engines. In fact, many SUV early adopters are now driving much smaller sedans like those models that make up Kia's bread-and-butter line. Enough new Korean vehicles were sold in America so far this year that the Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group managed to outpace mighty Honda in total sales as it roared into the number five worldwide automaker spot. Therefore, our immediate thought is that Kia must be crazy to go ahead and introduce the new Borrego in the American market... but Kia would have you believe otherwise.

As Kia's sales team sees it, since the Korean automaker currently offers no contenders in the true midsize SUV category, any slice of the dwindling market is a win. Is the Borrego good enough to win over any remaining SUV buyers? Read on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To Late?

Who knows where gas prices will go these days. I recall a while back when gas was $4.00 and a friend said it will never go down and will prolly go even higher. Gas today is $2.00. I spent two months looking various SUVs as I needed a combo vehicle that would tow and something my wife would drive other than a truck. She was dead set against a truck. Looking at the new GM Traverse and the Buick/Saturn versions I was hard to swallow 36 to 42k. Also in the running was Mazda's CX-9. I just happened to drive by a KAI dealer and saw the Borrego displayed and decided to at least look at it. My first impression was like the TV commercial where the guy walks into a Saturn dealership and seems confused that the cars there are actually nice looking. I test drove the Borrego and to my surprise it had power, comfort and looks. With a sticker price 5 grand less than the Traverse it opened my eyes to the thought of owning a "KIA"?
Test drove a few other SUV's and a couple days later purchased the Borrego. Now I'm in the hunt for a light weight travel trailer to test the towing capabilities. So far Borrego is the right SUV for today's market and don't listen to the know it all car critics because they suck just as bad as the movie critics.

Don

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm seriously looking at picking up a Borrego. We own 2 kias, a Sorrento and a Spectra5. Been happy with the value for the $$$. I need something with a higher tow rating than the sorrento for occasinal car hauler duties.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
oldjeep
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing