Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time i will be doing brakes on my 2003 Sedona LX. Just the fronts for now. Is there anything out of the ordinary i should know before doing them?

What about Brake pads... what brand shouldd I get? Should I go with $76 OEMs or just get Raybestos Semi-Met. for $29.99.

·
Registered
391 Posts
can someone shed some light on how easy it is to change the front pads, I have always changed my own brakes on previous cars and feel I would rather spend £50 on some green stuff pads and fit them myself rather than getting cheap pattern parts and fitting from a garage for £70. I thought I read somewhere on here about how easy they were but cannot find the thread.

thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello,

What is Green Stuff?

Brake Pads front, Unileaver, AC Delco and a couple of other well known brands
between £ 23-£25.

Rear shoes depending on what type fitted £35-£60.
Seacam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jul 14 2005, 11:10 PM
Do not ever use Green stuffs on heavy cars, like sedonas!
You can rename them brown stuff :eek:
Yep, I have EBC Greenstuff pads in my Carnival... Yes touch&feel&performance better than original but how long those will last???

Because every weekend I have to spend a lot af time to clean that pad dust from the rims.

Those have been about two months now ... will last even over winter ;)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
To replace pads:
Undo 1 17mm bolt at bottom of caliper.
Swing caliper up, then slide inwards to remove.
Remove old pads
Clean area pads run on of brake dust and corrosion.
Slacken brake bleed nipple and push caliper pistons back, tighten nipple.
Carefully apply thin smear of coperease to the lugs of the new pads.
Fit pads.
Clean slider part of caliper, apply a good coat of copper ease, slide caliper back into carrier, lower to fit over pads.
Clean slider bolt removed earlier and again apply a cost of copper ease.
refit bolt.

I've tried all sorts of different pads, 3 I personally recommend, Mintex C1144 race pad, Ferodo DS2500, and the EBC Red Stuff Ceramic version (NOT the first gen red stuff!)
I've found, and people I know have found, with Greenstuff pads the cold performance is quite frighenting, they just don;t stop, I know one who talked to EBC about it, and they just don;t recommend them for heavy cars.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello,

Really, Clartsonly,

Do a search on Yahoo or Google or was that your sarcastic bent showing.

Kind of makes a mockery of having this forum than, doesn't it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There are 3 types of front pad for sedonas.
Early models had a single piston caliper, that was one type.
Then theres the twin piston caliper, not sure about exact sizes, but there are 2 types available.
Yours is 03, so will be twin piston.

·
Registered
2007 Sedona GS CRDi Auto
6 Posts
Murphwiz,

Thanks for the instructions. My calipers have four bolts. Two big devils that bolt the whole caliper to the strut, and two smaller ones that, I assume are part of the sliding mechanism?

Do I take it that I just undo the lower one of these two?

At 15k miles the pads look to have 3 to 4mm of material left on them, but I do get a bit of a scraping/graunching sound noticeable at slower speeds. It's a bit like the pads are through to the metal, but that's not the case and there are no grinding marks on any of the disc faces. Is this likely to just be some grot that's gotten into the faces of the pads?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Undo the lower 17mm bolt, leave the 2 21mm well alone!
once the lower bolt is out, you can just swing the caliper up out of the way, but careful it doesn't swing back down on you!
Might be easier to remove both 17mm's.

·
Registered
2007 Sedona GS CRDi Auto
6 Posts
Thanks Murphwiz,

If the ice goes from the front drive this weekend I'll jack it up and take a look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts