Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage Platinum Diesel
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a patient 2 month wait my new 2012 Black Cherry Platinum with factory sat nav and every option on their list other than the nudge bar arrived the other day! The only reason I couldn't get the nudge bar was because I opted for the front parking sensors and you can't have both. :(

It's got factory side steps, roof rack, tow bar, side folding mirrors and I took the 2.0L diesel model. She's a beaut! Every day I discover something new I like about her. Really impressed with her so far but only done 300Kms!

Mods I've done is turn off the speed sensing locking of the doors (done by dealer) changed the badges, added some chrome to the grille, eyelids to the headlights and xenon headlights. All ideas and instructions that are in here. Great stuff you lot.

She's on 3 wheels here because I have what you would definately call an extreme driveway which has me using hill descent control every day! As you can see just hitching a trailer has her all twisted up.

Things I've noticed coming from a BMW X5 is the seats are less comfy for my boney butt and less supportive on the sides but I can live with it after putting some nice covers on the leather seats. Venting and heating still work fine. One thing that is becoming a grind is being asked everytime I start the Nav to hit the "Accept" button. Anyone work out how to get rid of this once and for all?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Looks good! Congrats. Not a fan of side-steps on this particular car but, still looks really sharp.

Oh, don't park it like that!! You'll end up damaging the frame or who knows what. Be careful ;-)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Looks good, like the side steps. Worth the wait or what? ;)

No dice so far on the "agree" thing, trust me man, I would be willing to pay some money for that crap to find it's way to the bottom on the ocean.

Front parking sensors? I don't get it, it is a small enough vehicle. *sigh*

<---misses the days without all the electronic replacements for paying attention

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good, like the side steps. Worth the wait or what? ;)

No dice so far on the "agree" thing, trust me man, I would be willing to pay some money for that crap to find it's way to the bottom on the ocean.

Front parking sensors? I don't get it, it is a small enough vehicle. *sigh*

<---misses the days without all the electronic replacements for paying attention
Yep...worth the wait I'd say. The Nav, BT, and just general electronics actually seem a lot easier to use than the BMW one I had but it was a few years older so can't really compare apples with apples. She a hell of a lot less thirsty than the other and rides as smooth if not more so. I'm struggling with the front wheel drive feeling you get coming from a BMW. You can tell the diff but hey..not complaining although I will be asking the dealer to check it out cause I reckon it's pulling left more than just the road camber would make it do. We drive left side here btw.

All in all.. She's been great so far.

I will be asking the dealer to install a handle near my head like I have on every other door.. I had it with the other car and I'm lost without it...need my hand there !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats on the new car mojoman, i went down to John Hughes on the weekend to look at the Sportage and I'll probably get one now.

Dubs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the new car mojoman, i went down to John Hughes on the weekend to look at the Sportage and I'll probably get one now.

Dubs
Have you tried joe crisafio in Osborne park? I had a trade and they went all out and made a deal I couldn't refuse. Tell them the guy with the black platinum with the works sent you and deal with sev. He's good. No kickback and not related to them in any way but felt they tried harder then John Hughes. For me at least. Can't comment on the service side as I haven't had one yet.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
I will be asking the dealer to install a handle near my head like I have on every other door.. I had it with the other car and I'm lost without it...need my hand there !!
That's strange. My Sportage has handles above all four doors and thought it was strange that there was one above the driver door, but attributed it to the Sportage having left and right hand drive models. I'll send you mine! Ha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's strange. My Sportage has handles above all four doors and thought it was strange that there was one above the driver door, but attributed it to the Sportage having left and right hand drive models. I'll send you mine! Ha
Yes please!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks good! Congrats. Not a fan of side-steps on this particular car but, still looks really sharp.

Oh, don't park it like that!! You'll end up damaging the frame or who knows what. Be careful ;-)
How would he bend the "frame"? I do believe these are uni-body, and the fact it is pulling the wheel off the ground is a testament to how strong these little trucks are.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Nice, we don't have those here in the states. A bit TOO much chrome for me, but I like the redesigned front end.

Pulling the wheel off the ground is not a demonstration of strength, just that the suspension doesn't travel much. The Sportage has a much stiffer suspension with less travel, compared to the Sorento, or other fullsize SUV.

You won't bend the frame, but the added stress will expand to the rest of the body. You can easily bend or damage another part of the car. We had that happen to a Sorento that we had displayed up on a pile of rocks at the dealership.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought I'd update on my first 1000km service and the list of things I asked to be checked or changed.

1. Install a Handle near drivers head like the other passengers have: they wouldnt do it on the basis of saying there is a drivers airbag there. When I challenged that on the basis that our US friends seem to be ok with having one they rattled off the old " we don't have access to their parts list so can check that" story. Result- no handle installed.
2. Pulling to the left as I drive: they lowered pressure to 38 from 42 and explained its normal to be sensitive to road camber. All settings are normal. This remains the hardest for me to get used to after driving BMWs for so long. It just feels flighty and overly sensitive to road cambers to me. Oh well.
3. Remove the nagging Accept prompt on the sat nav: no can do. Live with it.
4. Adjust the park break. Done and it's good.
5. Fix the BT so my calls are heard better by my recipients: the plan was to plate the software but after they discovered it wasthe latest they suggested deleting and repairing. Did that and it appears that on the first call at least, it is better from all reports. I'm a little Dubious but we will see over time.
6. Sagging rear end: we'll it appears this was in my head because they measured it and it they tell me it is as it should be from factory.

That's it.

Cheers

·
Registered
Sportage GT-Line 1.6T-GDI DCT (UK)
20 Posts
2. Pulling to the left as I drive: they lowered pressure to 38 from 42 and explained its normal to be sensitive to road camber. All settings are normal. This remains the hardest for me to get used to after driving BMWs for so long. It just feels flighty and overly sensitive to road cambers to me. Oh well.
Serious question;

Is there a sticker in the driver's door shut (below the catch for door) quoting the 'correct' tyre pressures?

I only as as here in the UK, the sticker quotes 33 all round for normal loading. :mellow:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Serious question;

Is there a sticker in the driver's door shut (below the catch for door) quoting the 'correct' tyre pressures?

I only as as here in the UK, the sticker quotes 33 all round for normal loading. :mellow:
My Hankook Optimo 18" 235/55R18 tires (USA 2011 SX) all say 33 PSI according to the sticker in the driver side door jam. So, I keep them at this pressure personally.

As for mentioning "bending the frame": I'm not a mechanic/car tech type so sorry for saying the incorrect thing etc. I just figure the car is meant to have all 4 tires flat on the ground and by "torquing" 1 or 2 up in the air due to parking weird (or displaying your car on a giant pile of rocks in the front yard - hehe) could be bad in the long run for suspension, exhaust parts, who knows what...

Just doesn't seem like a smart idea to me as a layman. That was all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Serious question;

Thanks Ora. After checking the dealers work they had pressures up at 40! Taking them down to the stickered 33 and it makes the world of difference.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts