Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking off and on for the past couple of years and was SHOCKED that there were no good aftermarket strut/shock options for the 2016+ Sorento. With hundreds of thousands of them on the road any many getting up close to 100,000 miles on them, it just seemed really dumb on the part of shock manufactures.

Well, I was just looking and Bilstien offers aftermarket struts/shocks now! Perfect.

I don't plan on getting any for another 2 years or so (at 75k miles now) but the B4's should be perfect (I am going to put a set on my Audi A4 in the next year or so). I am curious if anyone on here gets them, what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
'18 GMC Terrain, '20 Ford Fusion SE, '00 BMW Z3 2.3, '21 Honda Civic EX
112 Posts
i remember edmunds.com having a long-term cadenza years ago and a main complaint that it was under-damped. i thought oh, well, just put some stiffer dampers on it; did a quick search and realized the aftermarket had no interest in kia at the time. maybe that is finally starting to change? i would prefer some stiffer shocks/struts on our sorento and could see replacing them preemptively.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Billstien B6 are stiffer and offered, they may be perfect for you!

They may also work well for the folks, for reasons that don't make sense to me, that run 22's as that is a lot of upspring weight!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mounted B4 dampers on a BMW sedan we owned previously and definitely felt OE. I have no experience with B6 but they seem to be the more popular option due to the "performance" spec.

If anyone is curious about price (summit racing prices):

OE equivalent
B4 strut: $133
B4 shock: $64

Performance
B6 strut: $232
B6 shock: $135

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get folks wanting more performance (on a performance car) but on the Sorento, I have been pretty content with the OEM setup. I do think it is a little under dampened and I would like say 10% more. That being said, I don't want it to ride too hard.

I am really curious how the B6's do on the Sorento.... but will probably go with the B4's (which may already be about 10% stiffer as I believe they usual factor in wear on suspension components and I believe I read they are about 10% stiffer than OEM at least in their Audi and BMW applications).

The B6's are roughly twice as expensive which seems like a lot.....

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
169 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
13 Posts
i know this is 8months old... but im in the market for struts and see the B4's are available on rock auto.

has anyone installed these?

my concern is they only have one part, but kia factory has 3 different strut part #'s depending on engine and FWD or AWD. not sure what the real differences in these parts are.

·
Registered
112 Posts
please let us know your experience if you go with them. i feel like the OE shocks/struts are under-damped and am looking at bilsteins at some point as replacements.

are you planning on a DIY? i am thinking about springing for the rears first (though the b6 option) and doing that myself to see if there is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
13 Posts
please let us know your experience if you go with them. i feel like the OE shocks/struts are under-damped and am looking at bilsteins at some point as replacements.

are you planning on a DIY? i am thinking about springing for the rears first (though the b6 option) and doing that myself to see if there is a noticeable difference.
I am going to have a local mechanic do it. I have done this work myself in the past, but i just don't have the time anymore.

i'm still worried why the factory has so many different part numbers, but aftermarket only one. i don't want the mechanic to take it all apart and find out it doesn't fit right. the factory parts with all the bearings and attachements (reusing springs) are quite expensive, so im tempted to go with the B4's to save a little cash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts