Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking off and on for the past couple of years and was SHOCKED that there were no good aftermarket strut/shock options for the 2016+ Sorento. With hundreds of thousands of them on the road any many getting up close to 100,000 miles on them, it just seemed really dumb on the part of shock manufactures.

Well, I was just looking and Bilstien offers aftermarket struts/shocks now! Perfect.

I don't plan on getting any for another 2 years or so (at 75k miles now) but the B4's should be perfect (I am going to put a set on my Audi A4 in the next year or so). I am curious if anyone on here gets them, what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
72 Posts
i remember edmunds.com having a long-term cadenza years ago and a main complaint that it was under-damped. i thought oh, well, just put some stiffer dampers on it; did a quick search and realized the aftermarket had no interest in kia at the time. maybe that is finally starting to change? i would prefer some stiffer shocks/struts on our sorento and could see replacing them preemptively.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Billstien B6 are stiffer and offered, they may be perfect for you!

They may also work well for the folks, for reasons that don't make sense to me, that run 22's as that is a lot of upspring weight!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
72 Posts
Mounted B4 dampers on a BMW sedan we owned previously and definitely felt OE. I have no experience with B6 but they seem to be the more popular option due to the "performance" spec.

If anyone is curious about price (summit racing prices):

OE equivalent
B4 strut: $133
B4 shock: $64

Performance
B6 strut: $232
B6 shock: $135

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get folks wanting more performance (on a performance car) but on the Sorento, I have been pretty content with the OEM setup. I do think it is a little under dampened and I would like say 10% more. That being said, I don't want it to ride too hard.

I am really curious how the B6's do on the Sorento.... but will probably go with the B4's (which may already be about 10% stiffer as I believe they usual factor in wear on suspension components and I believe I read they are about 10% stiffer than OEM at least in their Audi and BMW applications).

The B6's are roughly twice as expensive which seems like a lot.....

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I didn't look but I checked Summit as there were prices listed above for them and they say 8/24.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked up my 2019 on Summit and those were the only ones that came up.
Interesting, it is listed like that on Bilstien's web page too. I would contact them and ask. The good news is, you still have plenty of time before you need shocks/struts. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts