Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia forte LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some drunk idiot must've pulled the shark fin antenna off the car and now there is exposed circuitry underneath (and I am worried it could possibly leak through the roof?), I've searched a lot of other threads on this topic but can seem to find a definitive answer. Currently covered with waterproofing tape and sealed around the edges with duct tape. Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
498 Posts
That (the tape) should hold you until a garage can fix the issue, or you can try to remount the 'fin' and go around the perimeter where it meets the roof with 100% Silicone Caulk. Run a heavy bead and then smooth with your finger in one gentle gliding motion. Use clear silicone, avail at most hardware stores. One small tube (like toothpaste size) should be more than enough. Try to do this on a dry day with temp above 40 F. It should cure in ~4 hours. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Kia forte LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That (the tape) should hold you until a garage can fix the issue, or you can try to remount the 'fin' and go around the perimeter where it meets the roof with 100% Silicone Caulk. Run a heavy bead and then smooth with your finger in one gentle gliding motion. Use clear silicone, avail at most hardware stores. One small tube (like toothpaste size) should be more than enough. Try to do this on a dry day with temp above 40 F. It should cure in ~4 hours. Good luck!
Thank you for the response! I will probably try and attempt that, will have to order from online though cause the original is nowhere to be found

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
91 Posts
Some drunk idiot must've pulled the shark fin antenna off the car and now there is exposed circuitry underneath (and I am worried it could possibly leak through the roof?), I've searched a lot of other threads on this topic but can seem to find a definitive answer. Currently covered with waterproofing tape and sealed around the edges with duct tape. Thank you!
New antenna with adhesive mounting I think you'll like Universal Car Exterior Roof Shark Fin Antenna FM/AM Signal Protective Aerial. Add it to your wishlist! Universal Car Exterior Roof Shark Fin Antenna FM/AM Signal Protective Aerial | Geek

NE Ohio, USA
2017 Kia Forté 5SX 1600cc turbo manual transmission

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
498 Posts
Make sure you clean and dry the surface with some goo gone prior to adding the silicon sealant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts