Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '13 Rio SX has a problem. I fill up the gas tank when the light comes on and my Miles to Empty says about 65-70. The problem is when I fill up my tank as this point the pump will shut off at 8 gallons when the capacity is 11 gallons. I'm averaging 35mpg but am only getting like 280 miles out of a tank. This doesn't sound right... Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
Well, you're going 280 miles on 8 gallons which = 35mpg. That sounds right.

The "miles to empty" in my rio works more like a "miles till the fuel light comes on". It's not really accurate, just an estimate. I drive about 600 miles per week and I don't fill up until the fuel light comes on. It's usually 9-9.5 gallons to fill it from there.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
my '13 Rio SX has a problem. I fill up the gas tank when the light comes on and my Miles to Empty says about 65-70. The problem is when I fill up my tank as this point the pump will shut off at 8 gallons when the capacity is 11 gallons. I'm averaging 35mpg but am only getting like 280 miles out of a tank. This doesn't sound right... Anybody else notice this?
Distance to empty (DTE) is just an estimate. You would probably get a bit more if you really pushed it; maybe up to 100 miles which is 2.85 gallons. That makes a total of nearly 11 gallons. Problem solved!

Most cars show the warning light with about 6 to 9 litres remaining (about 2 gallons). Yours is coming on at 3 gallons remaining and that's a fairly large percentage of your small tank.

Also be aware that DTE will eventually change to "---"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts