Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a used Kia Ceed 12 plate used for £11,500.
It's kia approved (so should get 7 years warranty)
Trim 3.
done 12k miles.

I guess questions are...

1. The first service I read is 20k miles/2 years. So I would need to do this in 8k more miles. I see this is a fixed price, is this all in?

2. Does a service manual come with the car? or where can I buy one? (I'm in the UK).

3. Tax is £30 right?

4. Anything not covered by the warranty I may think is?

5. Anything I should look out for?

6. People have similar and happy?

thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Answers in order.

You would get the remainder of the 7 year warranty Kia approved or not providing its been serviced correctly, not an issue due to age and mileage.

Service on a Ceed on a new model Ceed is 1 year or 20,000 miles whichever comes first. The one you are looking at will probably need a service when its a year old. The first service is only a check and does not include an oil change but if its not carried out your warranty will be voided. The body/paint warranty needs an annual check as well, usually free with a service, if its not done end of body/paint warranty.

You get a handbook and service book. No need for a manual, if you DIY end of warranty.

£0 tax if its a "3" diesel. Petrols are £100 or more if an auto.

Warranty does not cover service or "wearing" parts such as brake pads and clutches unless there is a manufacturing defect. Battery is 2 years, radio 3 years, tyres manufacturers.

Look for abuse and wear, most cars of that age and mileage are ex rental cars and could have led a hard life with many careless drivers.

Had ours 2 1/2 years, other than 2 services no garage visits. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
20,000 miles seems a long time between services, and 2 years as you originally suggested is definitely too long. KIAs in Australia get serviced every year or 15,000 km (say 10,000 miles), which seems about right to me and happens to match our usage.

I would change the oil as soon as you take delivery of the car and your friendly local mechanic should do this for you at minimal cost. He would also report on other obvious problems. It would be preferable to have this independent check done before you buy, but this is not usually an option when buying from a dealer.

Check exactly how much the "fixed price" service costs. Ways that they can bump this up is by not including consumables (like oil and the oil disposal cost), tax and other options that they will helpfully suggest, such as tyre rotation at an inflated price. Dealers can be slippery about what "fixed price" or "capped price" actually means. Fixed price sometimes means that it's a standard charge throughout the dealer network. Fixed price usually does NOT mean that every service will be £150; some services will include new plugs, brake bleeding etc. etc.

After the first year or so, I get the servicing done by my local mechanic, using genuine parts and keeping receipts. Typically, this saves about 60% of the dealer service charges, which are inflated to take advantage of "fleet" servicing. Government departments and large companies usually have their cars serviced with no questions asked. A careful private owner can check most of the items on the service list and save a lot of money.

The front tyres will be getting worn by 12,000 miles. They may have been moved to the rear; worth a check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

This page lists services as:

Service Costs 1.6CRDI
20k service £121.24
40k service £220.13
60k service £121.24
Total 3years/60k miles £462.61

I assume this is the case for the UK and this car?

"£0 tax if its a "3" diesel"
really? I've read several places its £0 for the first year, then £30 afterwards?

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Without wishing to state the obvious, have you asked the dealer these questions?

When it comes to servicing, shop around between dealers and then get the one you want to use to price match with the cheapest quote. Ive done this on every of my 4 services and every time the dealer i bought the car from will price match and beat another dealer who is about 25 miles from him and is always cheaper.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Service intervals are also determined by how "Severe" your driving conditions are supposed to be. See handbook for definition. Anything but relaxed highway driving in moderate temperatures seems to be "severe". Our usage is 60% highway and 40% commute in flowing traffic; no stop-start.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd Sportswagon GT-line 1.6 CRDi (134bhp) Automatic 7spd-DCT
280 Posts
DVLA website Road tax:
1.6 CRDi 113 bhp - £100

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
20,000 miles seems a long time between services, and 2 years as you originally suggested is definitely too long. KIAs in Australia get serviced every year or 15,000 km (say 10,000 miles), which seems about right to me and happens to match our usage.
In Australia its normal for servicing intervals to be shorter than the UK, its climate is more severe. Out BMW is serviced every 2 years and has been fine. If the Ceed did 20,000 miles a year it would get serviced every 20,000 miles, no problem with the correct spec long life oil.

After the first year or so, I get the servicing done by my local mechanic, using genuine parts and keeping receipts. Typically, this saves about 60% of the dealer service charges, which are inflated to take advantage of "fleet" servicing. Government departments and large companies usually have their cars serviced with no questions asked. A careful private owner can check most of the items on the service list and save a lot of money.
You can save a little by using independents but its certainly not 60% and there are catches. By servicing at a Kia garage they check for ECU and other updates which are carried out FOC, independents cannot do this. Independents cannot carry out the annual body and paint check, take it to a dealer for this and they will charge.

By the time you have paid £50+ for the body check and visited more than one garage you will be out of pocket.

Kia do 3 and 5 year service plans which work out much cheaper, ask about them at the garage. Don't buy the dealers plan, they can be expensive and if the dleaer goes bust you loose your money.

The front tyres will be getting worn by 12,000 miles. They may have been moved to the rear; worth a check.
All cars use tyres, not worth worrying about. At 25,000 our fronts still have loads of life.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
In Australia its normal for servicing intervals to be shorter than the UK, its climate is more severe. Out BMW is serviced every 2 years and has been fine. If the Ceed did 20,000 miles a year it would get serviced every 20,000 miles, no problem with the correct spec long life oil.

You can save a little by using independents but its certainly not 60% and there are catches. By servicing at a Kia garage they check for ECU and other updates which are carried out FOC, independents cannot do this. Independents cannot carry out the annual body and paint check, take it to a dealer for this and they will charge.
Australia can be a hot, dusty place, but generally the conditions are pretty good. Body rust is now almost unknown in Australia, so body checks are superfluous. Probably not so if salt were used on the roads as in the UK.

Good point about the ECU and updates, if the performance ever deteriorates, I'll be asking KIA. In the meantime, I'll continue using my local mechanic; cost for recent service was $88 plus $50 for oil/filter/parts. KIA quote was $450.

Remember, I am interested in cars and do regular checks on fluids, belts etc. Some drivers NEVER look under the bonnet, and maybe 2 years between services would be too long for them. One of our cars only did 5,000 km per year on average, and I was quite happy to service it every 2 years.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
I'll continue using my local mechanic; cost for recent service was $88 plus $50 for oil/filter/parts. KIA quote was $450.
That is a huge difference. Before I had our 2 year/20,000 mile service carried out I rang round a couple of dealers and independents. Our local delaer was the best "Kia" price at £250. The independents were generally clueless, had no idea what needed doing even when I presented them with a copy of the page form the owners manual. None wanted to use Kia filter saying theirs were as good (one even said that the rules allow them to use what parts they want) and all wanted to use their bulk oil which is damaging to the DPF. The price for this was between £180 and £220.

So for a saving of between £70 and £30 I would loose my warranty since they had not used genuine parts, have no ECU updates and no body check. Add the body check in at £50 and I would have saved a maximum of £20. Is it worth it when I can get it all done in one stop, definitely not (even if they used the correct parts).

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts

Service Costs 1.6CRDI
20k service £121.24
40k service £220.13
60k service £121.24

really? I've read several places its £0 for the first year, then £30 afterwards?
Yep, my 2012 ceed 3 diesel tax renewed this month now £30

·
Registered
246 Posts
really? I've read several places its £0 for the first year, then £30 afterwards
If its the new model 1.6 "1" "2" or "3" they are 100 CO2's or less thus £0 fro the first year and £0 in every subsequent year.

If its the previous model they were 118/119 CO2's thus were £0 for the first year and £30 in every subsequent year.

So everybody is correct but you have not indicated if its the new or old model.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
The Ecodynamics Old models were 110 Co2 so 20 quid tax but from 2011 MY this was reduced to 100 so then zero.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
7 Posts

Service Costs 1.6CRDI
20k service £121.24
40k service £220.13
60k service £121.24

So if total servicing costs for Kia Ceed SW is £462.61 why do Kia charge £659 for the Kia Care-3 (High Mileage) package. The £329 Kia Care-3 package would be for only 30k miles and 3 years. So presumably only covering the 20k service! Or are these servicing figures not for the 1.6CRDi 126bhp? Only interested as looking to buy a Kia and the £659 servicing seems a bit steep for 12k to 15k per year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts