Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. When streaming BT audio (Maybe when doing anything else?) and switching to phone using the button it starts to play FM audio. The display does go to the phone display properly but the radio is playing before the call is made. Not sure why it would not stay at the audio input I had selected until call was made. Is there a way to disable this function?

2. Instant Fuel economy on the center cluster doesn't show a number. Just says MPG w/ the gauge below. The AVG fuel economy does show a number before MPG. I could have sworn the car I test drove showed a number before the instant MPG. I've included a picture of where I was looking.

Thanks guys!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Instant Fuel economy on the center cluster doesn't show a number. Just says MPG w/ the gauge below. The AVG fuel economy does show a number before MPG. I could have sworn the car I test drove showed a number before the instant MPG. I've included a picture of where I was looking.
My 2013 Optima EX is a horizontal bar meter (no actual number).

Look on page 4-55 of your manual. It shows the two types of instant mpg meters.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
1. When streaming BT audio (Maybe when doing anything else?) and switching to phone using the button it starts to play FM audio. The display does go to the phone display properly but the radio is playing before the call is made. Not sure why it would not stay at the audio input I had selected until call was made. Is there a way to disable this function?

2. Instant Fuel economy on the center cluster doesn't show a number. Just says MPG w/ the gauge below. The AVG fuel economy does show a number before MPG. I could have sworn the car I test drove showed a number before the instant MPG. I've included a picture of where I was looking.

Thanks guys!

Dave
Nope, on the SX it's the bar graph as you show vs. a number for the instant MPG.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Seems odd they wouldn't just put a number in there just like the avg. mpg. Any input on question #1?

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
I think for #1, the reason is that the phone terminates the bluetooth connection, causing the car to play default audio which is radio. It's like the car just does that, if you terminate bluetooth, the radio goes on. Like when you are streaming bluetooth and turn off the car, when you turn the car back on it will be playing radio because it hasn't paired with the phone yet.

So, to avoid this issue, you can just turn off audio before you disable bluetooth (by engaging the phone), by tapping the power button or holding the mode button to stop the bluetooth. Then, when you switch to phone, there will be no audio turned on therefore no default to radio.

And for #2, I confirm the instant MPG doesn't have a number. I think they want you to avoid getting distracted by focusing on the number itself because it would constantly change all over the place. So they just have the graphical visual to give you an idea where you are at, as it's not as distracting. The number value for the average MPG is not distracting because it doesn't change frequently, unlike the instant MPG.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And for #2, I confirm the instant MPG doesn't have a number. I think they want you to avoid getting distracted by focusing on the number itself because it would constantly change all over the place. So they just have the graphical visual to give you an idea where you are at, as it's not as distracting. The number value for the average MPG is not distracting because it doesn't change frequently, unlike the instant MPG.
My '02 Jetta had a number display for instant mpg and as KF says, it was "all over the place" most of the time. If you had a steady condition, such as highway driving on cruise control, it was useful but most of the time it was changing too quickly to grasp. I like the bar meter much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts