Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I wanted 17 inch rims but worried that the ride would become to bumpy, and I would loose some acceleration, then considered 16 inch rims but found the tire selection to be a bit small.

Lastly I figured keeping the perfectly good tires and putting new 15 inch rims. I currently running steel wheels/ with the hubs. The nice thing about this is I can get it done around $500 rather than $1000.

1. Does anyone have any pics of 15 inch aftermarket rims on their car?
2. Is 15 inch too small to spend money on for a rim?

My car
imgur: the simple image sharer
http://i.imgur.com/Mqo03sS.jpg

Rims I am looking at
http://i.imgur.com/zO7iPo1.png

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
15 inch rims are OK, in fact some people prefer them for general use. Tyres are cheaper to replace and less likely to get damaged by road hazards. If you do want to spend some money, you might as well get 17 inch, but as you suggest, the ride might not be so good.
I can't see why you'd lose any acceleration by fitting different sized wheels. The overall diameter of wheel+tyre is virtually unchanged. e.g. standard 15 inch set-up on the Cerato has nominal OD of 634 mm, whereas 17 inch is 625 mm (1.5% difference).

15 inch tyres used to be the standard size for many years on medium-sized cars in Australia (e.g. 205/65-15 or 195/65-15), so they should do the trick on a RIO. I have 15 inch steel on a couple of our cars and they are perfectly satisfactory.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
if you go to Discount Tire or Tire Rack's website, you can pick your car and see what the wheels they sell will look like on it. I keep thinking I want to get a set of Konig Incident's for mine.....

·
Registered
kia rio sedan
102 Posts
my car got the 17" rims, it run very nice and never have problemn with holes and stuff in the street

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
As most have said - the OEM LX and EX come with 15-inch rims, so aftermarket will work fine.

You might also plasti-dip the hupcaps and get close to the look you are going for for a lot less money (if you just dislike the silver ...)

·
Registered
2013 rio5 lx 6spd man.
4 Posts
if you go to Discount Tire or Tire Rack's website, you can pick your car and see what the wheels they sell will look like on it. I keep thinking I want to get a set of Konig Incident's for mine.....
both sites do ok for "how it'll look" so will pep boys. but theirs is kinda funky.

ive been debating the 15 vs 16 vs 17 issue as well. thing is down the road when more suspension parts come into the market id like to upgrade/lower. so im looking at 16's,, with a 195/50/16 or 205/50/16. full get up should run 3-400$ for tires(sizes above standard h rated) and 4-500 for wheels.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Sportage LX, 2015 Kia Soul EX, 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
148 Posts
It's tiny, I would rather running 17 they look better. Plus handles better without having huge "off road" sidewalls.
I would not say they handle better, if you take the weight of a 15" alloy wheel and a Michelin tire and do the same for the 17" you will see it is heavier so going to 17" adds more unsprung weight.

Borrowed 17" from a friend that has them on his Rio as he was raving over how good they handled.

When driving it in normal traffic it was rough.

But look wise, yes they look great.

I just ended up with 15" alloys as the best combo for me, I do a lot of city driving and the 17" was to rough.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
Handles better, rides harsher - not necessarily disagreement.

The 17 has shorter sidewalls, so less flex and roll-under in hard cornering and also harsher ride.

You pays your money and you takes your choices.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
It all depends on the wheel you get. Tyre is the other part. Ive seen little Yaris running aroundwith 15s but the tyres on them were pretty much garbage bags wrapped around the rim.

Whatever size you go with get tyres to fill out the wheel well.

As you want to go low, I would go 16. Gives you a bit of room and not sacrifice ride too much

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
The Canadian EX's come with alloy 16"s, I got them to put the SX 17"s on mine on purchase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts