Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2000 Kia Sephia, when I turned on the ignition starter switch,starter motor not turned over, free flow movement on the ignition starter switch, not contacting the electrical components. I felt that the ignition starter switch loose freely back and forth when turning. No little like bumps when turning the ignition starter switch that was normal before.No lights on the dashboard except the door light icon on the dashboard. Headlights and turn signals not working when the ignition starter switch turned on.

When I turned on the ignition starter switch, no headlights showed up when I turned on the turn signal arm knob. The same thing happened with the turn signals as well. Only the front yellow light next to the headlight was on.

Ignition switch failure? Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder replacement?
What are the symptoms related to a bad ignition switch?

According to other sources:

When the electrical portion of the ignition switch fails, the vehicle will permanently or intermittently lose power to certain systems and components, depending on which position the key is in.

The vehicle may not turn on accessories like the air conditioner, or the vehicle may fail to start. In intermittent cases, the vehicle may randomly fail to respond to the key being turned, or stall while driving. These symptoms may come and go for some time before the ignition switch completely fails.

Must be some electrical connections wiring loose or short :
Battery cable not making electrical contact to the starter motor?
Wiring connections issues on the ignition starter switch?
Wiring connections to the ignition starter switch on the bottom of the steering wheel column not working? What am I missing here to troubleshoot this problem?

As a precaution, I ordered Ignition Starter Switch replacement, part number:0K2A166154. While waiting for the order to show up, I will continue to troubleshoot this problem, taking apart the steering column, inspecting the electrical connectors wires of the ignition starter switch, checking the starter fuses in the fuse box. Does anyone out there has a similar issue as mine? Did you resolve this issue? If so, how did you fix it? Comments/feedback is greatly appreciated. Once I resolve this issue, I will post/respond back on this thread of the results. Thanks to all for reading.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

After removing the two-piece cover apart that goes over and under the steering column on the ignition start switch, I saw the ignition starter switch on the left side behind the steering wheel.

I noticed the missing screw that goes inside the hole that tightened the ignition starter switch. That explained why the free-flow movement when trying to start the engine on the ignition cylinder using the key because the ignition starter switch was loose and not properly secured in the hole in the first place.

After pressing the ignition starter switch inside the hole, I turned on the key and the darn thing works!!! All because of the ignition starter switch inside the hole was loose.

I could not find a screw and its thread size long enough to tighten the ignition starter switch inside the hole. So I went to a local hardware store, trying to get the correct thread size and long enough to go through the cylinder starter switch. Find the correct size BOLT, not a screw. 4mm bolt size and about inch long. Fits perfectly!! I was abled to use a 4mm socket and tightened the ignition starter switch.

Since I already ordered the replacement ignition starter switch, I just keep it for a backup. Interesting learning experience. Thanks to all for reading.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts