Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
08 Magentis 2.7, 08 Citroen C1, 88 Yamaha ZR750, Kinroad 50, Yuen 125-23
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Not been here fore a while, so hope everyone is keeping well.

I've been getting the odd error code flag up over the past couple of months. However, its getting more and more frequent so I'm being forced into spending money :(

I've just come back from a 150 mile trip and have the following codes...0171, 0172,0174, 0175, 2187, 2188, 2189, 2190

Not got any air leaks etc and symptoms are slight hunting espectially when cold. Car is fine when running normally. Recent emission test on MOT was all fine, although when the car went from fast idle to normal idle the CO jumped up briefly into the red which the tester thought could be down to lambda sensor issues.
I'm thinking the same that lambda's need replacing. Remember that I run on LPG which does produce a slightly hotter exhaust gas, hence why I think they could be fried. Question is :-
  • What do you think about my theory ?
  • Would you start by replacing the lambda's before the cat, after the cat or all 4 ?
Stu

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just had a thought. Could it be the MAF even though its not generating any error codes directly ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just had a thought. Could it be the MAF even though its not generating any error codes directly ?
I had similar issues where the codes were persistant and then got worse. It turned out that the Cat, both O2 sensors and the MAF along with an air leak on the intaske gasket had to be changed.
Its running fine now for three months, 205K miles now, since the repair.
BTW its spendy but the car is paid for, so cheaper than a new one. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
I would lean(no pun intended) towards the MAF as you are getting both lean and rich codes for both banks. If it were one bank I would look at the lambda sensors. I suppose a cat could be the cause, but I would think that it would cause a problem all the time, not only when cold.

My question is, are these cars designed to run on LPG? From what I understand, it requires a different fuel map than gas because it requires more air.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I'm fairly convinced its the MAF too. I cleaned the sensors with carb cleaner and now its running fine again with no error codes. I'm not sure how long it'll last so I'll look out for a replacement.
On the older LPG systems fault codes were a frequent issue, however on the latest systems they integrate with the car's ECU closely so error codes are only generated when its a real fault. The gas system has its own mapping system which I can manage by plugging a laptop in.
I've done 60,000 miles now in 2 years on LPG with no issues on the gas system and I'm paying 1/2 the price compared to petrol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts