Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
It really depends upon your location and whether your Sportage is OBD-I or OBD-II.

Some general items: OBD-I readers for the Sportage are nearly impossible to find. Dealers use a "Kia Pro Scan Tool" which is not sold to the public. The other method to read fault codes on OBD-I is to short out 2 points on the diag connector and read the flashing check engine light. (Don't ask me how to do this because I don't know for the Sportage plus you CANNOT do this with newer OBD-II vehicles)

Universal OBD-II code readers are readily available in the U.S. and have a starting cost of about $130 (USD). I don't know about other Countries.

So, you need to determine if your 1996 Sportage is OBD-I or OBD-II. If you were in the U.S. it would be OBD-II. But you are in the U.K. and I don't know what standard was required in 1996.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by Axe Man@Jan 16 2005, 08:59 AM
It really depends upon your location and whether your Sportage is OBD-I or OBD-II.

Some general items: OBD-I readers for the Sportage are nearly impossible to find. Dealers use a "Kia Pro Scan Tool" which is not sold to the public. The other method to read fault codes on OBD-I is to short out 2 points on the diag connector and read the flashing check engine light. (Don't ask me how to do this because I don't know for the Sportage plus you CANNOT do this with newer OBD-II vehicles)

Universal OBD-II code readers are readily available in the U.S. and have a starting cost of about $130 (USD). I don't know about other Countries.

So, you need to determine if your 1996 Sportage is OBD-I or OBD-II. If you were in the U.S. it would be OBD-II. But you are in the U.K. and I don't know what standard was required in 1996.
they have a obdII tester at advanced auto for 100.00 or so. dont know the name but i know its orange in color! im thiking of getting myself one..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by 1fastkia@Jan 17 2005, 06:12 AM
they have a obdII tester at advanced auto for 100.00 or so. dont know the name but i know its orange in color! im thiking of getting myself one..

Be careful with some of the cheaper "no name" OBD-II code readers. They may not have all the proper protocols to be truly "universal" across all makes of vehicles.

Codes readers made by Actron will work across all vehicle makes...and it should state "universal".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts