Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the same engine, is the optima faster than the sportage?

They made the test:

Numbers are very disapointing...

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Numbers are very disapointing...

yes, those numbers are not the magical 6.x numbers everyone wants. I think these assessments are not valid for "fastest 0-60mph" times because the tester did not bother to disable traction control. Traction control limits wheel spin by removing or transferring power from the wheel(s) that is slipping. I believe it is preventing the tester from getting the best times possible.

All i know is i can merge on the interstate easily enough and pick my merge position with no problems. Also, once at 60mph i can accelerate to 100mph quickly enough to dodge around traffic all i need. Didn't buy the car for the 0-60mph or the quarter mile. It's a street vehicle. I also didn't buy it because i need to move lots of things inside the cabin.

It doesn't haul sh*t, IT HAULS ASS!

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Fastest time to 60 I did was 7.5. Of course it was on a slightly curved road with a small hill at 6300+ feet and it was like 40 outside...

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I am with cloud on this one.

Honestly I don't care about magazine racing, just like he said, I can merge easily and get up to speed when I want to and that is enough for me.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
"Magazine racing" numbers are interesting to look and watch, but real world, my car does quite well getting around pain in my rear slow people. I know I have seen a few heads turn when I take off, not from punching it either. It just quietly gets up and zooms without any loud muffler noise or sweaking the tires. That's what I like, sneak up and zoom right on by.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quantifiable performance matters in the real world. An 10sec 0-100kph spec won't feel faster than it seems. For example, my non-wrx Impreza testdrive took two years.

I didn't watch the video with audio, but an auto reviewer unaware of TC shouldn't be listened to anyway. At least we know the Sportage's 0-100kph with default settings.

Users in another thread, "Straight line performance?, found Sportages slower than specification, and it's disappointing. I don't care either about racing magazines and small fractions of a second. Still, significantly slower is bad.

That said, the Sportage is fast, but it being the fastest Kia would also be disappointing. It's a sporty SUV/CUV. A sporty lightweight turbo-compact should be faster. Sportage (turbo) owners will likely consider performance highly, but it's a utility vehicle, so there's other considerations too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You guys are all notating that this is a mile above sea level. You'll never see a car go fast that high up... If you're in to performance, time to move.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
Just looking at numbers, not actually testing them, the Optima should be faster. They weight same, but the the Optima has 20HP more and has smaller diameter tires and lighter wheels, which are easier to turn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The sportage is de tuned. It can't be faster than their flagship optima. They won't let it.

And with no aftermarket tuning available we are stuck:mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts